Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BF3 Official System Requirements

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
    Yeah I had no problems running BC2 either. I think settings were on high or almost high across the board.

Glycerin I'll PM you. Thanks for the replies - confirmed what I pretty much suspected regarding the bottlenecks.
    I agree the CPU and mobo have to go. You can get a good AMD CPU and mobo for about $250ish. A decent card for about $150-$200 as well. And 8GB of ram for $50. You're look at around $500 total to make this happen for you.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

No problem Beatnik, PM returned.
      -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Visser View Post
        I am surprised by your results.

I have a E8500 OC to 3.6
        4Gb of DDR-800 memory
        and a Nvidia 260gtx

My game ran smooth on high settings. Lowered the shadows since that was a killer. No HSAO wanted. 1920x1080p. I would get 45-60fps

Do you know what FPS you got. I don't know what high is to you.

Thanks.

:)
        Same fps as you. Explosions would cause frames to dip too low (40ish) on high so I dialed it down to medium and the FPS stayed above 60. My CPU was at about 80% usage on stock clock (4gb ram). I guess the video card was bottlenecking.

Right now I'm running an I5 stock, 16Gb, and a Gtx570. BC2 on high runs 90 to 110. Again, CPU is not maxed out. I'm thinking about getting another Gtx570 for BF3. Will wait till full game is out.

Comment

Newly Updated Requirements for BF3 -

Minimum System Requirements

OS
          Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) 32-bit

Processor
          2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)

Memory
          2 GB

Hard Drive
          20 GB

Graphics card (AMD)
          DirectX 10.1 compatible with 512 MB RAM (ATI Radeon 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ATI Radeon 3870 or higher performance)

Graphics card (NVIDIA)
          DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher performance)

Sound card
          DirectX Compatible

Keyboard and Mouse

DVD ROM Drive

Recommended System Requirements

OS
          Windows 7 64-bit

Processor
          Quad-core CPU

Memory
          4 GB

Hard Drive
          20 GB

Graphics card
          DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 or ATI Radeon 6950)

Sound card
          DirectX Compatible

Keyboard and Mouse

DVD ROM Drive
          Source

Notice the recommended change from a 560 to a 570.

@zh1nt0 @Lezziter that is wrong, the recommended settings are for High.
          Source

For those that may believe that recommended settings are for medium.
          A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Wow, a 570 recommended. impressive.
            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

i7 [email protected]
              [email protected]
              8GB Memory
              128GB SSD
              3x1TB F3's in Raid 0
              2TB Storage

Yup... I'm good to go :)
              Attached Files
              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Kappa View Post
                i7 [email protected]
                [email protected]
                8GB Memory
                128GB SSD
                3x1TB F3's in Raid 0
                2TB Storage

Yup... I'm good to go :)
                I have a similar build set up. Which 580 did you get? I am looking towards the triple slot Asus 580. I might resort to a 570 to save some money on the costs.

I hardly base my experience on SystemRequirements.com though. I know it gives you an idea that it WILL run but I care more for HOW WELL it will run.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
                  Same fps as you. Explosions would cause frames to dip too low (40ish) on high so I dialed it down to medium and the FPS stayed above 60. My CPU was at about 80% usage on stock clock (4gb ram). I guess the video card was bottlenecking.

Right now I'm running an I5 stock, 16Gb, and a Gtx570. BC2 on high runs 90 to 110. Again, CPU is not maxed out. I'm thinking about getting another Gtx570 for BF3. Will wait till full game is out.
                  Cool. I am going with an 2600k and a 580gtx. If I have to save money I guess i can go with the 2500k and a 570. However I like to do video editing at home when I am away from work. I know there is an advantage with the z68 chipset and 2600k's

Comment

I got the same results on youcanrunit:)

Comment

i have a 6850 (OCing to 6870) coming in soon so hopefully that'll run it on high, cpu and ram are good so no bottleneck there.
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Visser View Post
                        I have a similar build set up. Which 580 did you get? I am looking towards the triple slot Asus 580. I might resort to a 570 to save some money on the costs.

I hardly base my experience on SystemRequirements.com though. I know it gives you an idea that it WILL run but I care more for HOW WELL it will run.
                        I went with the EVGA 580, main reason is because I purchased it before all of the non-reference cards started coming out and EVGA has a lifetime warranty. Therefore if it breaks in 3 years, they will replace it with something better (i.e. 770, 860, etc). I would advise you though not to go with the triple slot card that Asus provides. MSI's twin frozer card offers better cooling and overclocking while only being a dual slot. If I was in the market a couple months after I purchased my reference EVGA 580 I would have gone that route. If you go with a 570, I would still recommend the twin frozer from MSI.
                        A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Newly Updated Requirements for BF3 -
                          Source
                          Notice the recommended change from a 560 to a 570.
                          See I don't think that's correct. I don't believe they changed it. I think that's a typo.
                          The 560 has been accepted as the Recommended level Video Card. It's been confirmed multiple times by DICE Devs. Plus the BF3 Beta website still lists the 560 as the recommended card.

All signs point towards a typo IMO.
                          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I went with the EVGA 580, main reason is because I purchased it before all of the non-reference cards started coming out and EVGA has a lifetime warranty. Therefore if it breaks in 3 years, they will replace it with something better (i.e. 770, 860, etc). I would advise you though not to go with the triple slot card that Asus provides. MSI's twin frozer card offers better cooling and overclocking while only being a dual slot. If I was in the market a couple months after I purchased my reference EVGA 580 I would have gone that route. If you go with a 570, I would still recommend the twin frozer from MSI.
                            I have heard the same things from the Twin Frozer cards as well. I have considered EVGA for their lifetime warrenty but man the reviews on them show many DOA from Newegg. However, in my expereience whenever I ordered an item from Newegg with many people having DOA issues I never once did encounter the same. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                              See I don't think that's correct. I don't believe they changed it. I think that's a typo.
                              The 560 has been accepted as the Recommended level Video Card. It's been confirmed multiple times by DICE Devs. Plus the BF3 Beta website still lists the 560 as the recommended card.

All signs point towards a typo IMO.
                              I doubt it as I find no reason for someone to go and change it at will if it was already correct. If it was a typo, I'm sure it would have been corrected already or at least soon.
                              Last edited by Kappa; 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM.
                              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                                Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck improvement specifically for BF3 on my system?

Current specs:
                                E8400 Core 2 Duo OC'd to 3.3ghz (LGA 775 socket)
                                4 gigs DDR-800 memory
                                Geforce 8800 GT
                                At 1920x1280 resolution - 55" of it ;)

No idea where the bottleneck is though. My first instinct is to upgrade the card (likely to the 470) for ~$200. But extra memory is only $50 for 4 more gigs. Somehow, the old Q8400 @ 2.66 is still like $180. Any thoughts (or even better, links) are appreciated. Looking forward to killing it in this game.
                                That sounds similar to my setup. I have my E8400 OC'd to 3.7GHz and I have a 512MB Radeon 4870, with 4GB DDR2 memory (OC'd, but that's just cause of the CPU OC).

Since it's based off the same engine as BC2, which was notorious(?) for wanting a quad-core CPU, I have a hunch you're almost equally bottlenecked between your CPU and GPU. Your GPU is probably more of the limiter, though.

Also, increasing your RAM won't give you more frames per second. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Maybe you should upgrade your GPU first. And then maybe down the road you can replace your CPU - that will require a new motherboard, anyways, and probably new RAM. So that's a much bigger cost. Which isn't too bad, because you're probably more GPU bottlenecked, anyways.

By the way, are you sure you can't get your E8400 past 3.3 GHz? I had to raise the voltage to about 1.304V idle (according to CPU-Z. I think I have it set to 1.325 V in the BIOS) which is about as much voltage as I feel comfortable putting on my CPU 24/7. But like I said, I got it up to 3.7GHz (410MHz bus speed, so my RAM is at 984MHz instead of 800MHz. I had to raise DDR voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V, I think. But my RAM is rated for that). Note: every CPU is a unique piece of silicon, though, so you may not be able to get the same clocks as mine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X