Video Card Upgrade Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Upgrade Suggestions

I've got a 450W power supply (a good one) and currently have a Radeon 4850.

Looking for a slight upgrade for BF3. Would going to a GTX 550, Radeon 6770 or Radeon 6850 provide any noticeable improvement? Don't have a big budget at the moment so the 550 or 6770 if they offer enough improvement would be more realistic.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DigitalAssassin; 10-15-2011, 08:53 PM.

Re: Video Card Upgrade Suggestions

According to Tom's Hardware, the 6850 is one rung above the 550 and the 6770 so I'd go for that.
    Here's the link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming...w-32274-7.html

Does your board support Xfire? If so, I'd suggest you save up a little bit more cash to upgrade your power supply and buy a second 4850. Two 4850 in Xfire will get you to the equivalent of a 6950 (again according to the hierarchy). It's a better bang for your buck than the slight upgrade to the three options that you're looking into. Just my opinion.
    You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
    sigpic

Comment

From looking on benchmarks you will be getting a significant boost from a 6850. Definitely worth it depending on the price of the card. Personally I would be getting a 6950, but that would also require a bigger PSU and a bigger budget.

Comment

6850 may be out because now that I research more it looks like it would require a larger PSU. No Crossfire support (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138163) on my MB so that's not an option either.

Now just trying to figure out if the 550 or 6770 would provide enough improvement to make it worth buying now since I wouldn't have to get a new PSU for them.

Rest of my system is fine for BF3 (Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8Ghz and 4GB RAM) and that's all I'm going to be playing for a while.

Comment

Only thing I would add to this is get another couple gigs of RAM, its cheap and will help out that little bit extra.
          sigpic

Comment

Unless you have something else very power hungry in your system you wouldn't need a a new PSU with any single GPU except maybe the highest end NVIDIA cards.

Neither the 550ti or the 6770 are a worthwhile upgrade. You should aim higher.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Looks like I MAY be able to swing enough budget to get in the range of the 6850s on sale at Newegg. So, back to my PSU situation. This is the PSU I have...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139003

I'm running the 95W Phenom II X4 925, 4GB RAM, 2 HDDs, 1 optical drive, 4 case fans and a couple of PCI TV tuner cards. The PSU has 33A on the 12V rail and I'm looking at running a single 6850.

Think it would work?

Comment

Yes
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I definitely think you'll be ok with that PSU and a 6850.
                  -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                    Unless you have something else very power hungry in your system you wouldn't need a a new PSU with any single GPU except maybe the highest end NVIDIA cards..
                    You are correct, Namebot. I believe the power supply PS recommendations would be for three video cards installed. As I remember correctly, after I put in my GTX560 video card, my Kill-A-Watt meter showed I was running at 270 watts while playing BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                      You are correct, Namebot. I believe the power supply PS recommendations would be for three video cards installed. As I remember correctly, after I put in my GTX560 video card, my Kill-A-Watt meter showed I was running at 270 watts while playing BF3.
                      I wish I had known this a week ago. I just upgraded to a GTX 560. I didn't go with the "Ti" model because it stated that it need a 500W power supply and I'm at 460W right now. Then again, I'm not sure the "Ti" variant was worth the additional $$$.
                      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Don't forget that even if a PSU is rated at say 500watts, chances are it will never actually put out a full 500 watts, especially when it heats up from a long gaming session. That is why when you buy a PSU you need to look at the efficiency rating, with the best ones rated at usually 80% or 85%. To make sure you have enough headroom you should buy a good PSU and what ever the watts stated are multiple it by about .75.

So buy a 500 watt PSU and expect it to give you 375 watts.

And to top it off, a PSU doesn't put out all that power evenly through the mess of wires it comes with. That is why you have to look at the # of rails and other stuff. So even if you have the actual # of watts you think your rig needs covered, it might not be able to get the juice to the different parts that need it.

Remember, this is just an estimate, and better/different brands and models will vary, which is why it's a good idea to try and find some in-depth reviews from tech sites before you buy. Don't just go by the reviews on Newegg. For instance, the Corsair I went with last time I upgraded had a bunch of good tech site reviews including some that said during stress tests it actually put out the full 640 watts it was rated at. Which means Corsair could have sold it as a 700 something watt PSU but did what other companies should do and listed it's true output.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. Was able to order a Sapphire 6850 1GB last week and got it installed yesterday. Makes a world of difference. I'm basically running everything on high and getting great performance. You don't realize how much detail you are missing until you can run things higher and see it all.

Comment

Anything better than a GTX 285 and your golden. I get pretty good frames with the game set at high. There are plenty of cards out there Nvidia and ATI which are a bargain but still run BF3 really good. Take a look at some of the charts like at Tom's Hardware.
                            sigpic

Comment

The 6850 is on the same level as the GTX 285 in the Tom's Hardware hiearchy charts. I just know it make things substantially nicer looking then the 4850 I was running. Managed to snag it on Amazon for $144 with free Prime shipping. Definitely runs cooler and lower noise as well, only requires 1 power connection and is running like a champ with my Corsair 450W power supply.

Looks like it's gone up $5 since I ordered on Wednesday but it's still <$149 at Amazon if anyone is looking for a good price/performance card.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DV...1196233&sr=8-1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X