Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought DVD at Best Buy....what's going on here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought DVD at Best Buy....what's going on here?

As the subject says...dutifully lined up at midnight and bought BF3 upon release. I have two DVD's in the case and I've started the installation process but its like nothing I've seen before. I did play the beta and so have Origin. Origin is downloading 11 Gb's of data but why? I have dvd....am I supposed to be downloading material as well from Origin. Its a limited edition DVD for PC.

I tried looking on the disc directory but see nothing but the autorun folder which resulted in the above. Am I missing something here? It's taking forever.

Thanks...
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Bought DVD at Best Buy....what's going on here?

I cannot 100% confirm as I have the Digital Download version, but I believe that even the physical DVD copy actually downloads and installs the game through Origin and EA servers.

Comment

thats weird and disappointing. I'm in for a long wait then. Thanks...Anyone else in the same scenario or did most do a pre release download?
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I can't help with the DVD problem, but just wanted to say hey to my man Grunt. Looking forward to getting some rounds in with ya. I was in a squad with E-male for about 3 mins. last night before the server crashed.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If I am forced to download the entire game through Origin when I have the physical DVD in my possession I am going to be seriously pissed off.

Downloading a patch I understand. Downloading the entire game I do NOT understand at all.

I'll either be happy and installing and patching or very pissed off watching a download this evening when I get my PHYSICAL copy.

Edit add:
          https://helporigin.secure.force.com/...0000000Ce8AIAS
          Physical BF3 Disc Install via Origin

3 of 26 people found this article helpful.
          Print
          Even though the Origin client displays that it's "downloading," it's actually pulling the data off the disk and not from the Origin content delivery network.

This is evidenced by the super-quick "download" speeds that are displayed, when compared to your normal download rate.

In any case - it'll finish quicker than you think (since it was installing from the media,) and you'll be fragging in no time!

Thanks for waiting!
          Last edited by kilroy0097; 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM.
          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I had this problem at first, then i realized the download progress window and the install progress window looks exactly the same.
            I thought Origin was downloading it instead of installing from the dvd, but then i noticed the download speed was triple of what my internet can do and it also asked for Disc 2 halfway through.

So don't worry, if you have a dvd it will install from it but it will look like a download.
            sigpic

Comment

granted I have a slow connection @ ~ 160 kb/sec but this thing has been downloading since 1 a.m. this morning and I'm only at 50%....Does this jibe with your experience....it's literally downloading 11 gbs of data and I'm bummed I can't play yet.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I too am being forced to "download" the game. What's odd is that the disk drive is spinning, and at a speed that I didn't know it could go. Pretty piss poor show all around though. If it really was installing from disk, I'd have to assume that it would have asked for the second DVD by at least 60%, which it hasn't done.

Seriously, EA are terrible at this whole "game" thing.

EDIT: 58% it asked for disk two. It didn't ding or anything though, so keep an eye on your install window or it'll sit quietly for hours not doing anything.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X