Tip for making the TS window more helpful on a 2nd monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for making the TS window more helpful on a 2nd monitor

Hey guys. This could apply to other games just as well, but I wanted to share it with my battlefield brethren. I primarily use Macs when not gaming, and they will automatically let you scroll in a non active window. Like say you have two folder windows open, and a browser window. You can be in say the browser window, but still put your mouse over the folder windows, and without clicking it and making it the active window, scroll up and down in it. I was disappointed after getting used to it that it isn't a Windows feature.

Now since I have a second monitor (I use the input on my 27" iMac as my primary), I like to put Teamspeak up on it to see who is talking w/o having to use an overlay. But when you get moved around and all, sometimes you will stop seeing your squad channel, etc.-- you guys know how that goes. So you can't just move your mouse over to scroll, because you have to click in the window, thus minimizing the game, changing resolutions (depending on your setup), and making a game crash more likely.

So I found a tool that will let me just move my pointer over onto the second monitor, which it is free to do any time the cursor is present, move the cursor on top of Teamspeak, and let me scroll up and down w/o minimizing the game and making it the active window.

It's called WizMouse. Here is the link. And you click the CNET download button.

It didn't work for me at first. But I kept messing with it, and eventually it did. It may have been after I clicked the run as administrator, but I'm not sure that it's what fixed it. Make sure not to click the "Bring scrolling windows to foreground" option, thus defeating the purpose. Once it started working right, it's been a really great tool that I will certainly take for granted from now on.

Here's the options, and it just minimizes to tray. Cheers!

Re: Tip for making the TS window more helpful on a 2nd monitor

Thanks for the link!
    I've been frustrated with the same problem and was wishing I could turn my 2nd monitor into portrait mode.
    I'll try this out.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I installed it and it's pretty awesome.
      I played a good bit on Monday daytime on other servers and didn't crash like usual between just about every round. I was wondering if alt tabing is causing me some crashes. Then I tried playing on TG servers and was back to crash crash crash.

Program though works like a champ and folks with 2nd monitors should give it a go.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep, definitely a must have for those with dual monitors. And it probably does make you a little more stable since you won't have to constantly alt tab to see who's talking to you. Glad to help!

Comment

Just downloaded and tested it out, and it's working great! I think you do have to run it in administrator mode for it to work properly. Thanks a ton Super, saves me having to alt tab after every round. :)

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Awesome find! I'm going to give this a try!

On the topic of TS scrolling... it's obviously due to the large number of channels on the TG server. By default, they're all expanded. Is it possible to collapse certain channels automatically, such that only a select few channels are expanded after you log in?

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
              Awesome find! I'm going to give this a try!

On the topic of TS scrolling... it's obviously due to the large number of channels on the TG server. By default, they're all expanded. Is it possible to collapse certain channels automatically, such that only a select few channels are expanded after you log in?
              Try this Brokeback, should help you out. In TS3 go to Settings/Options/Application and in the subscribe box tick the "Subscribe to current and previously subscribed channels" option. This way all channels, except the one you join in on, should be collapsed and not subscribed, so if anyone joins in on one it won't expand. From this point, you can manually subscribe to any channels that you still want to view by right clicking on the channel and clicking subscribe to channel or channel family.

For example, I have my TS set up so that I join into my IHS Channel on start. The only channels that expand are the server's channel tree, the IHS channel tree, and then the 16th IHS channel. So I'm only subscribed to my IHS channel. I also have the BF3 channel family subscribed, but I am not subscribed to the Server channels or the Lobby channel. When I join the Lobby, I collapse it so it doesn't get in the way. This way when I'm moved into a Team/Squad channel, the only channel I see the contents of is the channel I am currently in.

Sorry that that kind of rambles. Hope it helps :)

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Do I have to press a button BEFORE I can move the mouse to monitor 2? Because it does not seem to work for me, running W7 64 and as admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                  Do I have to press a button BEFORE I can move the mouse to monitor 2? Because it does not seem to work for me, running W7 64 and as admin.
                  Negative. If it's working right, you should simply be able to put your pointer over any window and be able to scroll its contents, without making it the active window.

When I was trying to find a way to do this, this is the first and most prominent application that showed up. I tried it, it didn't work, and I moved on to two others that also didn't work. I came back around to this one again. It still didn't work at first. Then I ran it as admin, and it still didn't work completely right for a couple of minutes. Once it finally started working, it hasn't messed up on me again. Just keep fiddling with it. Maybe try a restart if you haven't.

If it just doesn't work for you, and you still want to try to make this happen, the search terms I used were "windows 7 scroll non active window".

Comment

It worked fine for me the first time I tried it.
                    I don't remember if I did admin.
                    You don't have to start the game to see if it works, just open a few windows on both monitors and move your cursor to hover over a window and move the mouse wheel up and down.
                    Right now I open Chrome for Battlelog and TS and put them both in the 2nd monitor. Use the windows key + Left Arrow or + Right Arrow and it will put each window on exactly half the screen.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Not sure if this is how it's working for everyone else but I can only scroll the mouse over when I'm dead and have the spawn screen up. It seems the only time the game gives you a mouse to work with.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Scattershot View Post
                        Not sure if this is how it's working for everyone else but I can only scroll the mouse over when I'm dead and have the spawn screen up. It seems the only time the game gives you a mouse to work with.
                        Same here. I think the mouse stays "within the game" as long as you're not in a menu. This is a good thing. I'd hate to have the mouse move off the screen mid-game.

Comment

Exactly Brokeback!
                          I have had a problem with the mouse doing that with games like Grand Theft Auto in Steam, and it was annoying as hell.
                          The main time I use it is between rounds to check out who else is on teamspeak in other channels. I really wish Battlelog would update constantly so you could see when friends signed on and off live, instead of requiring a refresh.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
                            Same here. I think the mouse stays "within the game" as long as you're not in a menu. This is a good thing. I'd hate to have the mouse move off the screen mid-game.
                            Yeah, definitely. But I think pressing ESC should work and give you a pointer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X