Joystick Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick Question

While I've gotten the hang of flying a helicopter with a keyboard and mouse to some extent, the jets are just ridiculously bad and I'm finding myself in need of a joystick.

Anyone got a good suggestion for a decently priced joystick that serves the purpose without breaking the bank?
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Joystick Question

This is what I use, it was dirt cheap <$25

Logitech Attack 3

Comment

I was actually eying that joystick on Newegg, but they appear to be out of stock at the moment. :(

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I went to BestBuy and grabbed the next one up from that... was around $39 I think? The main difference is the hatswitch on the top which I use for looking around in the jets.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
          I went to BestBuy and grabbed the next one up from that... was around $39 I think? The main difference is the hatswitch on the top which I use for looking around in the jets.
          Is there a pic of it? I might be interested in getting that

Comment

I've been looking at that next one up from the Attack 3, and also at the Saitek Cyborg FLY 5.

Anyone familiar with either of those? I'm still looking at the Attack 3 as my back up pick at the moment.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
              Is there a pic of it? I might be interested in getting that
              http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming...ks/devices/291

Comment

Nice, found it for $27, very reasonable so I think I'll pick it up, freelook would be very handy.

Comment

I've got a wireless xbox 360 controller for the PC, but I haven't managed to get it working with BF3 (I tried clearing the default binds and all that jazz to no avail).

I don't fly often so I don't think it's worth the investment just yet, but I also don't fly because I suck at it. I too am debating between the Logitech Attack 3 and the Logitech Extreme 3D. Anyone know the difference between the 2 (ie, what makes the Extreme 3D worth the extra ~$12)?

Comment

Whiskey were you able to configure your joystick in game easily? I have an X52 and BF3 doesn't want to acknowledge its existence for some reason. Lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Looking at the specs for the Extreme and the Attack 3, it seems like the base is bigger for the Extreme and there's an extra button near the trigger. I imagine that extra button would be ideal to map to switch weapons between the cannons and secondary weapons.

Comment

The 3D adds a slightly bigger base, a side/thumb-button on the stick, and a hat on the top.[/I]

I use the hat for freelook, and it works ok; but it's not a game changer. It's a digitial hat, so it's not as smooth as I was hoping.. you could very well map them to some buttons on your KB (Q/E maybe?) and get the same functionality.

I don't really use it while engaged in a dogfight, but it's usefull for doing a quick check over your shoulder as you fly off to repair (regen). You can't see all the way back, but if you're in a turn and look all the way left/right, you're basically able to check your six. (Unless I'm doing something wrong, you can't control yaw/pitch while freelooking - only rudder)

Comment

Wow, I bought a Logitech Extreme 3D back in the BF2 days. Hard to believe it's still around and one of the main joystick options.

Comment

I was given one of these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-za/gaming...ks/devices/286

a long time ago, and it is the only reason I started flying again.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              Whiskey were you able to configure your joystick in game easily? I have an X52 and BF3 doesn't want to acknowledge its existence for some reason. Lol.
                              Same with me Dredge. I have a Logitech Extreme 3d and when it's plugged in I can't use fire my weapon (LMB) when on foot. Somewhat problematic in a First person shooter.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed