Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who ISN'T experiencing frequent CTD and/or lockups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who ISN'T experiencing frequent CTD and/or lockups?

this is starting to seem pretty universal. BF2 had its issues, but at least the game ran.

my particular situation:

game crashes constantly on launch from browser (whoever designed this system, kill yourself NOW). if i hit join server, leave the auto launch box unchecked, and don't touch ANTHING until it starts loading them map, then switch to the game manually...it...usually works.

then there are the crashes mid-game. usually i finish the map i start, and it crashes on the next, or MAYBE the third. knocking down details or trying to up system performance (i added more memory, pushed my proc and memory clocks up a bit) delays but does not prevent it. large maps with lots of action seem to be the worst. driving vehicles, especially fast ones, makes it crash faster.

this sounding familiar to anyone? it would appear the problem is simply crap programing- the game just gradually gobbles up resources until the PC runs out, then it commits suicide. rinse and repeat.

also, the last patch made it worse.

fwiw, my specs-

C2D e7200 @ 3.3ghz
    4GB DDR2
    560 Ti
    Windows 7 32bit

believe it not, the game ran okay when i previously only had 2 gigs stuck in this machine. upping it to 4 barely even did anything, leading me to think that this game may have been coded by monkeys. i'd like to install x64 and pop in another 2gb i have laying around, but i feel like i'd probably smash the game to bits after that just gets me another ~10 mins before it locks up.

bblllaaaaahhh. will DICE ever release a game that's out of beta?

Re: So who ISN'T experiencing frequent CTD and/or lockups?

I'm not, I actually can't remember a single lock up or CTD during the retail version of the game. It's possible that I don't notice the resources that it takes because my computer has a lot to spend, but it could be due to a unstable processor overclock or gpu overclock. If you are overclocking, make sure the overclock is stable before proceeding, this is a mistake many people make while overclocking. If you're not overclocking, then shoot me a PM and I'll help troubleshoot the problem with you.

*I can tell you are overclocking the processor, take a day off of things and use a program like Prime95 with a temperature monitor. Set it to restart the computer if it reaches about 85C. Let Prime 95 run with using 3/4ths of your memory available for anywhere between 8-24 hours. It's debatable for how long you should run it for, I personally run my overclocks for 24hrs. With that said, if you blue screen, then adjust your settings in the BIOS accordingly.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

i'll give that a try. i've just had zero issues with any other games...this thing was running 3.3Ghz for a year or two, then it got turned back a little while ago while i was changing some stuff...hadn't turned it back up until recently because i simply didn't have the need.

i'll also give it a go with the stock clock speed and see if anything changes.

for those who have been bug free, what OS are you running? i'm wondering if this is a 32bit vs 64bit issue, since people's specs are all over the place, and many forget to list their OS. perhaps this game simply needs the ability address more memory than 32bit win7 can handle.

Comment

welp- i went to stock clock on the processor (memory at same speed and timings) and played last night without a crash, and minimal slowdowns.

BUT, this was also with the new 48 player cap. still need to try 64 player servers. i'm hoping that i am in fact this dumb and that my problem has been fixed, but i have my doubts.

maybe it's not just the 'the game is broke' as much as 'the game is overly sensitive.' and since a lot of people probably have an outdated driver or two, or an overclocked cpu or gpu, perhaps that's the reason for a lot of the problems i've been seeing.

Comment

My system does not crash. I have an i2500k and GTX570.

FWIW, my PC is not limited by the CPU but the GPU. I suspect that is the case for most other players with a modern rig too.

To see if your CPU is bottlenecking, just run task manager alongside BF3. If none of the CPU cores are at 100%, the CPU is not the bottleneck.

Comment

I run an i5-2500K with a 6950 2GB. I dont crash or anything of the sort on any other game. but the ctds on battlefield 3 is probably 1 in every 15/20 games i play.

Comment

well, apparently my crashing issues have been resolved. i think it may actually be a heat issue...there was no problem in any other games, but in BF3 my processor is getting hotter at the stock clock that it ever did when set ~800mhz faster. i already knew i was CPU limited, but i guess i didn't realize the stress it was enduring.

also fwiw this game does not give two ****s about having more than 3gb of memory. it seems obvious that they programmed it for 32 bit windows.

Comment

Hmmm. Phuh, were you having disconnects, or true application crashes? I am OC'd.

Comment

I thought it might be my OC, but I am stress testing my rig with Prime95 (as I did after I originally OC'd it a year ago) and it ls barely getting over 60 degrees.

I tried putting my machine outside my router (DMZ mode), and got disconnected twice in 30 minutes.

When you guys disconnect and you get the 'disconnected from the server', is BF3 no longer running? With Battlelog, its hard to tell what is truly happening, unlike BF3 where you are in the interface of BF2 to run the game and you knew what a CTD was versus a disconnect.

EDIT: after about 2 hours my rig shut down. I wasn't watching the screen but I am guessing it may have been the stress test and the OC.
                  Last edited by ProjectNA; 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Still getting them. New drivers are no help.

Comment

OP here. nick change.

here's an update: i'm retarded. was playing BF3 yesterday and had another random lockup/crash to desktop (they seem to be pretty interchangeable). these are not just disconnects; the program is definitely either locking up or terminating itself in every instance.

opened hardwaremonitor and saw my CPU at over 60*C. was alarmed. popped the case open to see my CPU fan not spinning (had already checked it previously). i suspect it was on the verge of failing and was either cutting out intermittently or was providing bad feedback to the mobo header.

...i fixed it. random case fans and a tube of quick set epoxy laying around ftw. :D

we'll see if this is the real fix. i also hit that heatsink (stock intel- not great, but as stated earlier, worked great initially) with some 2500 grit sandpaper and applied some artic silver. after running prime95 for a while, the temp is barely moving off idle (43* idle, 45* loaded). this is at 3.16Ghz (333 x 9.5, up from 266 stock).

i guess i may owe DICE an apology. ;) but it still seems like crashing issues are rampant, and i hope everyone can get theirs resolved. this game is definitely a huge stress test on the whole machine, and will expose any weakness.

ProjectNA- what kind of processor are you running? 60 is pretty hot for a core2. i think the newer gen (i5/i7) is designed to run even cooler. you may be running into the same issue as me (essentially, inadequate CPU cooling).

edit: ooh i have a sig and everything. wish i could remember what those ribbons were for, hehe.
                      [TG]epheneh

Comment

and now i'm getting hard locks every time i try to play the game. always right after the first map change.

i'm ****ing done with this. i encourage everyone to do the same as me, and file a BBB complaint against EA for charging people $60 for a non-working alpha version of a game.
                        [TG]epheneh

Comment

After the new 11.11 AMD driver updates I havnt gotten any crashes so far. Still have that green flickering from time to time but nothing major so im happy:)

Comment

Originally posted by burble View Post
                            and now i'm getting hard locks every time i try to play the game. always right after the first map change.

i'm ****ing done with this. i encourage everyone to do the same as me, and file a BBB complaint against EA for charging people $60 for a non-working alpha version of a game.
                            You have the right to file with the BBB, but I can tell you that it won't get you anywhere as they will just shrug it off as a problem on your end... and it might very well be. I see that you ran Prime95 for "awhile" and you're back to overclocking. I would encourage you to do one of two things; 1. Let Prime95 go for ~8 hours+ for testing, 2. Up the vcore a bit (This is to quick test the issue, if no lock-ups occur after awhile then bingo). Also, 60 C is not hot for a dual core as the die size is much larger than that of the nehalems/sandybridge processors. If all else fails, then get on TS with me sometime and we'll go through some troubleshooting.

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                            After the new 11.11 AMD driver updates I havnt gotten any crashes so far. Still have that green flickering from time to time but nothing major so im happy:)
                            Yeah same with the Nvidia beta drivers, but I'm sure this will be fixed once the drivers mature.
                            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

there are zero issues with any other game. i found an issue on my end, and fixing it somehow made the problem worse. all the kinks on my end are ironed out.

i'm quite sick of people saying 'well just because everything else runs perfectly fine...' that's about the weakest-ass defense of this garbage pile of code that i can possibly think of.

and i've let prime95 run for about 2 hours in mixed and 2 hours in large FFT. there is absolutely no reason to let it run overnight other than to waste power. you should be maxxing your temps within a few minutes, or something's not right. if it runs for two hours at ~50-55C, it's going to run indefinitely. i did end up increasing the vcore a bit, which is why i'm now up in the 50's.

quit telling people that BF3 is just too awesome for their PC to handle. that is incorrect. it's too poorly programmed. slightly different things there.

edit: and sorry if i seem like a dick; there's a reason for that...i'm a dick.

i just get REALLY annoyed by the people who constantly act as if ALL the problems with this game are due to issues with the end-user. just because you are LUCKY enough to have the game run right, doesn't mean that us UNLUCKY ones are simply stupid.
                              [TG]epheneh

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X