Need help buying a Motherboard / CPU combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help buying a Motherboard / CPU combo

So after I finally got to measuring my FPS for BF3 it has become apparent that I am suffering because of my old computer (my current FPS runs between 25-40 with all my settings as low as possible). Thankfully Santa was good to me this year and I received a couple gift certificates that I can use towards an upgrade (though as a student I am on a limited budget). Basically I need the best motherboard / CPU combo for under $300 and it has to come from Tigerdirect.ca where my gift certificate is for.

To be honest I am not really sure what to look for, but after a brief look I would like feed back on the one below: It seemed like a reasonable choice and within my price range:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...12545&CatId=14

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions since I know most people here probably know a lot more about this stuff than I do. The only other thing that might be relevant is that I believe my case will only support ATX and I believe Micro ATX as well (any way to check?) Also I am not opposed to buying the motherboard and CPU separate but I thought a combo would offer me some savings.

Any help would be great, thanks

Re: Need help buying a Motherboard / CPU combo

Hey Specterr,

I'm not fond of AMD much any more. So here is my suggestion. It's a much better processor (IMO) with a very simple motherboard (few bells and whistles):

i5-2500k ($224.97):
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...161&CatId=6988

Intel DH61CRB motherboard ($74.97)
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...964&CatId=7162

Now, this assumes that you already have DDR3 memory. Do you have DDR3 memory or should we wrap that into this bundle too?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Thanks Damonte...speedy response.

I've figured on buying memory so that's not included in the $300 budget, assuming that 4 GB of DDR3 memory will do me that is.

Comment

Well it looks okay for the price. (The Intel i5-2500k is a good deal better.) What do you have right now? It's possible a GPU upgrade will get you the performance you want; and if your GPU is not up to par, a motherboard/CPU upgrade might not help much.

You should probably try to get more than 4GB of memory.

Comment

Current System:

ASUS P5K MB
          Intel Core Duo CPU E8400 3.00 Ghz
          4 GB DDR2 RAM
          EVGA Geforce 1024 MB 550Ti GPU

Comment

Are you planning on keeping your current graphics card and if so, which one do you have? I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but upgrading your CPU/Mobo will do little for you if your GPU is not up to par. EDIT: Drat! Beaten to the punch.

I second the recommendation for the i5-2500k; I've got it myself and it's a thing of beauty. Plenty of quad-core performance goodness, relatively low power requirements and overclockable like a champ (if engaging in such shenanigans interests you). And yes, you should probably get more than 4 GB.

As far as CPU/Mobo combos on Tigerdirect go, this one looks like a decent and fairly typical offer (although I've got no experience with MSI): http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...442&CatId=6982.
            <insert signature spam here>

Comment

That's a little over $300.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

It's probably your 550Ti holding you back. It had trouble keeping up with BC2. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4221/n...hort-at-150/10

Comment

$387 is a bit out of my budget...out of curious if the CPU is the same what are the advantages of the other MB compared to the one Damonte suggested?

One is $100 more than the other but I don't see any real difference other than brand.

Comment

MSI isn't a bad brand. I've had an MSI motherboard, and while I prefer ASUS, it'll do on a budget.

If you're not wanting to go i5, there's always the Core 2 Quad, but I don't see it on Tigerdirect at a glance. That's what Arun is running, along with 4 GB RAM, and has been doing fine. We're replacing his graphics card soon, which is his current bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                      $387 is a bit out of my budget...out of curious if the CPU is the same what are the advantages of the other MB compared to the one Damonte suggested?

One is $100 more than the other but I don't see any real difference other than brand.
                      Yes, it's a bit more than $300, and obviously up to you whether you think it's worth it. Compared to the Intel board, the MSI one (and the many similar offerings based on the P67 chipset) will give you RAID, more memory slots, the option of running dual video cards in an SLI configuration and USB 3.0. If you don't need any of that, I'm sure the Intel Mobo is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Another question: what's the resolution of your monitor? As stated above, the 550 Ti might be the bottleneck here, especially when running at higher resolutions. I am using a 560 Ti driving a craptastic 1440x900 LG monitor; the resolution is atrocious, but the frame rate is correspondingly stellar as a result. Something to keep in mind.
                      <insert signature spam here>

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post

The second one has USB 3.0 ports, has more USB 2.0 ports and headers, headers for SATA 6.0, more SATA headers in general, more expansion slots, is compatible with faster memory, supports more max memory, better audio options, and some other stuff. They do differ by a lot, just look at the specs. The cheaper one is very basic.

However, I do want to mention again that it's likely your 550Ti that's slowing you down and only to a much lesser degree your CPU. For instance you can look on youtube for videos of people playing BF3 with the same CPU you have. They seem to do fine with good GPUs. Also the Anandtech review of the 550Ti shows that it had trouble with BC2, even with a decent CPU in their test rig.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          It's probably your 550Ti holding you back. It had trouble keeping up with BC2. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4221/n...hort-at-150/10
                          Wow! Didnt know there would be that much difference between the GTX 550 and the GTX 560 which I have. My FPS is about 80 with settings at Medium. Got a Quad Core 3.2ghz with DDR2 memory at 1066. I beleive I am maxed at on my MoBo, but am happy with my game playability! That Combo that Spector was looking at would be great if he matches the GTX560 with it.

Comment

Time to scratch together pennies...I had no idea my GPU was so bottom of the barrel (its actually my newest piece of equipment on my computer).

Comment

Just a suggestion, but I have a Q6600 that I would sell to you rather cheap. I believe it will fit your current MB. This will give you quad cores and leave you monies to get a better graphics card. I also have an older I7-860 or 870 I think, with MB. I could be separated from those rather cheaply, but it would need DDR3 memory, and a new heatsink/fan. Again leaving you more money to upgrade the graphics card. Send me a pm if your interested. The I7 is going to be faster than either your E8400 or my Q6600. Again, just a suggestion.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X