Problems with FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with FPS

Alright, I need some advice from the technical gurus. I guess I'll post specs and then my question.

Win 7 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz processor
    4 gb ram
    Nvidia 8800 GTX

My old video card started to die so I recently replaced it with an Nvidia 560 TI.

I can turn everything up to a mix of mediums and highs and the game looks prettier. However, I am getting no boost in my frames per second. I am still averaging 18-24 during firefights and around 30-34 when sitting on the spawn screen. These numbers don't seem to change when I run all lows or all highs...they stay consistently in the 20s. Everything I read online says that this card on all lows should be giving me 2-3 times the number of frames per second.

Any suggestions?

Re: Problems with FPS

Sounds like a bottleneck to me. Your Graphics Card is significantly newer than your CPU. Basically, your GPU can do everything fast, but your CPU can't keep up.

Sounds like you should do a new build :)
    Skud

Comment

I've got same card (almost .. GTX560 fermi) and I get 70-80fps on medium. Problem may be your CPU. How much onboard cache does it have? I've got a quad core AMD Phenom 3.2ghz with six mbit cache.

Comment

Yup skuds right....bottleneck. tdll the wifey to loosen the purse string cuz its build time

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Of course, he has not said anything about his RAM speed.

Comment

I have the same setup as OldGunney with 6 gigs of ddr3 ram. I run most of my settings on high and my game runs smooth as silk 99% of the time. If your going to buy a new cpu, AMD gives you more bang for your buck. I can't afford Intel cpu prices.

Your computer can't be running that bad, I joined a RUSH map here at TG for the first time a couple of days ago and you Aruncado blew my head off with a tank shell every time I poked my head around the corner of a building. I left the end of that match with my tail between my legs.
            sigpicBF3

Comment

I don't know off-hand my RAM speed. Pretty sure it is DDR3...but not positive. I'll have to check when I get home and update the post.

Could it really be CPU speed bottlenecking my framerate down so bad? I thought most of that stuff got handled by the GPU on the card?

As for the second half of your comment red-dwarf, I have learned very well to play with FPS in the 20s. :row__577: I was hoping the new graphics card would let me see what I could do with 60+ FPS.

Comment

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure all the Core 2 systems only supported DDR2 memory. The jump to DDR3 was made when the i3/i5/i7 series came out.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Memory will not bottleneck his fps. Especially when he has 4 gigs of it. Frostbite engine is very cpu reliant for runnable fps. If you were able to get your cpu to 2.8 to 3.0 ghz you would probably be shocked at your fps increase. I had an older phenom II processor at 3 ghz that was being utilized to 90% when in game, high settings killed my fps. It was playable but i cant stand anything less than 60 fps. I upgraded to a hexcore at 3.5ghz and now never dip below 65-70 fps while in game and my cpu is utilized about 40%. All of this is with a 6950 2 gb card that has been unlocked to 6970 specs. Cpu IS a big deal in the frostbite engine. Not so much a number of cores issue...

Its more speed reliant from what i understand.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

You could run Task Manager -> Resource Monitor, and see if any of your CPU cores get pegged at 100%, or close to it. That will tell you whether your CPU is the current bottleneck or not.
                    <insert signature spam here>

Comment

There is also the ingame tracker for gpu/cpu. When I was looking into my upgrade that is what I was using to see where the largest bottleneck was for me.

Type in “render.perfoverlayvisible 1” and press enter to view a graph with details on your CPU and GPU performance as shown at the top of this post. The higher the line, the longer the time to render. So, you want to see low lines here with minimal spikes. Long render times indicate a performance bottleneck. Source
                      I found this to be one of the best indicators as to where I was really getting bogged down. I also used CPUID as it is a easy to use suite of tools that will give you info on your whole system.

From what you have told us so far, I would have to agree with others that have opined that the bottleneck is your CPU.

Hope this helps in some way.
                      sigpic

Comment

As a former owner of a Q6600, and I am assuming thats what he is running as its the C2Q 2.4GHZ CPU, it is DDR2 and it is the bottleneck in your system. I was running a Q6600 and the CPU stayed at 90-100% CPU usage at all times. It also maxed out my memory, which I was running 4GB. When I went to an older I7, things got better but RAM became my issue. Still running 4GBs and still used almost all of it while running BF3. With my new build, 2500k, 8GB RAM, and 6870 gpu; things are alot better. Not maxing out CPU or GPU while gaming with most settings on high.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I built his current rig just about two years ago. We're trying to avoid a full rebuild, since his processor isn't all that old and has worked out all right so far; I hate replacing parts that aren't non-functional if I don't have another use for them. His CPU usage isn't that much higher than mine is while I'm playing, and I get double to triple his frame rate. I'm thinking his RAM is more likely to be the bottleneck; he's only running 4GB, and it's not the fastest (the newer sticks are only DDR2 800, the standard for his motherboard). I'll have to check and see if there's a BIOS update that will allow for some better RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                            I built his current rig just about two years ago. We're trying to avoid a full rebuild, since his processor isn't all that old and has worked out all right so far; I hate replacing parts that aren't non-functional if I don't have another use for them. His CPU usage isn't that much higher than mine is while I'm playing, and I get double to triple his frame rate. I'm thinking his RAM is more likely to be the bottleneck; he's only running 4GB, and it's not the fastest (the newer sticks are only DDR2 800, the standard for his motherboard). I'll have to check and see if there's a BIOS update that will allow for some better RAM.
                            Newer sticks??? Does he have older sticks running at slower speeds? If he does, then putting in faster Ram sticks makes them run at the lowest speed of other RAM sticks.

In all actuality, the CPU can only run as fast as the RAM can deliver the memory to be run. And the onboard cache on the CPU allows it to run as fast as it is rated, but only for those program parts that have to be accessed repeatedly until the program sub routines go on to other areas of the program. With the BF3 program being close to 1,500 meg (I'm estimating) the 6 or 8 meg onboard cache does not cover it all.

By the way, I am running DDR2 1066 sticks on my motherboard which is now maxed out for my system.

Comment

Yeah, two of his sticks are older than the newer ones, but I believe they're all running the same speed--which is to say, slowly. ;) And there's a chance the older ones are on their way out, too. I'm betting there's been an update for his motherboard that'll allow him to run 1066, since it's two years old, so we'll have to look into some new memory. (It's one of the few things I don't mind as much replacing every few years, even if it still works.) How much RAM are you running, Gunney?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X