6870 massive freeze issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6870 massive freeze issues

Firstly hi im new and i apologise im being one of those guys that askes for help before helping but im not very good with tech issues.

My problem is that i play BF3 allot but it crashes or freezes randomly, could be fine for hours, could last 30 seconds.

i've read some people saying they overclock it or increase voltage and it works fine but im afraid of doing anything like that in fear of breaking something without a bit of a guide/point in the right direction.so if i could get some advice on what i should do or try it would be a great help.

So far ive tried
    -reinstalling drivers and catalyst after a sweep in safemode
    -putting all graphics on low
    -checking temp
    -increasing fan speed

still nothing, ive tried various tech forums on bf3 and tried many things and nothings worked, all i can find is the suggestion to increase voltage or under/overclock.

setup is
    -AMD Phenom II x4 965
    -ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
    -8GB DDR3
    -Radeon Sapphire 6870
    core clock 900
    memory clock 1050
    GPU voltage 1175

If anyone could help id be forever greatfull, anythign else u need please ask. Thankyou

1.Do you get the the"driver has stopped responding" pop up in the bottom right or is it BSODing
    2.The issue may not even be your video card but your ram. Faulty ram can cause random crashes. Try eliminating that first by removing one stick and attempting to play. Then swap it around.
    3.download driver sweeper http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html and delete all your amd drivers. Reinstall the latest drivers after reboot.

I run dual sapphire 6870s and I've been down this road a few times.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: 6870 massive freeze issues

Is the card factory OC'd? I have heard of this being an issue.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
        1.Do you get the the"driver has stopped responding" pop up in the bottom right or is it BSODing
        2.The issue may not even be your video card but your ram. Faulty ram can cause random crashes. Try eliminating that first by removing one stick and attempting to play. Then swap it around.
        3.download driver sweeper http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html and delete all your amd drivers. Reinstall the latest drivers after reboot.

I run dual sapphire 6870s and I've been down this road a few times.
        This...
        I am also a 6870 user and had this issue with an older build of mine. Turned out I had two different issues. One was RAM. The other turned out to be my card was becoming faulty, but didnt find this out until after I found out that I had two bad sticks of RAM.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

well ill hopefully get around to cheking it tomorrow , thanks for the tips, i driver swept, didnt help
          the card isnt factory overclocked as far as im aware
          the RAM is relitively new so im hoping its not RAM + if it was ram would it not do it with otehr games ? i can run the likes of skyrim on full settings and not see a glitch ever

Comment

Originally posted by evilclowngamer View Post
            well ill hopefully get around to cheking it tomorrow , thanks for the tips, i driver swept, didnt help
            the card isnt factory overclocked as far as im aware
            the RAM is relitively new so im hoping its not RAM + if it was ram would it not do it with otehr games ? i can run the likes of skyrim on full settings and not see a glitch ever
            Ok so it never crashes on sky rim, but on bf3 it does? Reinstall your entire game. Sounds like there's a problem with bf3 IMO. Also can you please post a screenshot of your graphics card using Gpuz http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former ARMA TGU instructor
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob
            Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

if ram is new, then I would really check your ram settings in the bios. contact the manufacturer of your ram. make sure timings and voltage for it are set correctly. bf3 really taxes a system, for some reason every dice game seems to be very sensitive to overclocks and voltage issues. I fixed my crashing completely by increasing voltage on a few things.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ok so todays UPDATE,
                ive checked the ram by both trying them indervidually, still crashes,
                re-installed the game twice - still crashes

i will post the GPU-Z screenshots here as requested and now going to look into the RAM voltage situation. The problem is i know enough to build a pc but i hate messing with bios, still, we all gotta learn. Thanks for all of your help on this topic, i hope we can get it sorted.

Comment

I had similar issues but with an Nvidia card, got the same tips you have (change voltage etc.)
                  My freeze/ crash issues only happened in BF3, so naturally I thought there was a problem with the installed files.
                  Tuned out be that the BIOS for my GPU needed an update.
                  After updating the BIOS the game ran fine, so maybe you can give that a shot?

Good luck!
                  "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

gotta be honest if i was to do that i wouldnt know where to start

Comment

Originally posted by evilclowngamer View Post
                      gotta be honest if i was to do that i wouldnt know where to start
                      It is easier than it sounds, the hard part is finding the update.
                      What I had to do was to go to EVGA (the manufacturer of my 570GTX) and look for drivers and support. After digging around a bit I found it, in this case an autoinstaller.
                      You could also mail their support and ask for it, that should not be too much work.
                      If that sounds like a hassle you could try just googling it: 6870 BIOS update or something similar.

I hope you are able to fix the issue, there is nothing worse than having a game run poorly when it should not.
                      "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

So heres a new update , i found if i run the game on low its perfect, ive played for 15-20 hours , with no problems. Change all to high and boom freezing again, so what could be causing this ?

Comment

Does the card have a factory overclock?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

i dont think so ,is there any way to tell ?

Comment

Compare your card to other versions of the same model at newegg.com.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X