Slow map load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow map load

Hi guys. I've noticed that a lot of players load their maps a lot sooner than me. Need some advice or direction as to fixing this.

MoBO MSI 785GTM-E45 6 Sata ports running up to 3Gb/s.

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80Gig, 7200 rpm, 8Mb Cache, 66Gig used. (WDC WD800JD-55MUA1)
    Sata capable of 3Gb/s. Disk drive not fragmented.

Do I need to put BF3 program on a dedicated drive? Dont understand why my map loads so slow.

Re: Slow map load

You have it installed on your C drive? Also what processor do you have?

Comment

Have you tried lowering your video settings? High settings mean a lot of data to load in to your RAM and VRAM. If the system runs out of memory it starts to use the pagefile which is on your hard drive and a lot slower than real memory.
      The 3Gb/s speed of SATA3 doesn't matter in this case, since a 7200rpm hard drive won't even come close to that speed anyway.

To speed up loading times, you could either buy an SSD and install the OS and games on it, or buy some more RAM and make a ramdisk then put BF3 on it.
      I think that MoBO has an integrated video card, that could be the limiting factor as well.
      sigpic

Comment

SSD is the way to go Gunney. The prices have really come down in the last 18 months or so. I'm usually the first or second one in and I have an SSD that I originally bought for ARMA.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Looks like the SSD is the way to go. My MoBo manual says my system accepts SATA II drives and there are a bunch of SATA III SSDs for sale. Do I need to stay away from the more advanced drives?

Comment

pretty sure they are backwards compatible but if you have SATA II ports you can't utilize the SATA III speed obviously. Maybe picking up one of the previous gen models would but I defer to the experts. Experts?? chime in please.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              pretty sure they are backwards compatible but if you have SATA II ports you can't utilize the SATA III speed obviously.
              I'm no expert, but i think that's correct, you can just buy the latest model SSD
              If you really need you can also get a sata3 PCI card, though i doubt that even SSDs are capable of 3Gb/s transfer speed, let alone 6Gb/s.
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X