How I really, really improved my FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I really, really improved my FPS

First let me say that this is probably a "duh" moment on my part.

I have a six core AMD cpu, 12 gig memory and a Radeon 6870 GPU. I had followed the various tweak guids out there and had gotten my FPS in the 45-60 range dipping occasionally to 30s and thought it was pretty good. However I had to skimp on a few of the settings.

I really like the eye candy and was considering buying a new GPU to get the visuals prettier.

But the one thing I never did was lower the resolution (this is probably where the reader goes "duh you idiot"). The reason is because every game I had played before looked bad if I did not play at my monitors native resolution (1920-1080) just looked kinda blocky/fuzzy/nasty. So I never even considered it.

So after the patch and new AMD drivers came out I was playing one of those Metro64 max tickets whore points to level up things and my FPS would constantly dip to the 30s (and seemed like lower) because of all the players in one room spaming the nades etc. I would end up dying often simply because of the video lag. Since I was only playing for points I decided to drop my resolution and accept the ugly simply to get through the match. I think I lowered it to 1680 x something.

What surprised me was that it didn't really look all that different but the FPS was ALWAYS pegged at 60 (I have VSYNC on because. as I mentioned, I like pretty).

This intrigued me so I started upping all the medium settings up. Turned on the various ati-jaggy things. The game started looking very pretty again and I don't see any of the blocky!

So I don't know why playing at a resolution other than native looks so good in BF3 but if you had the same belief I did you might try dropping your resolution a bit and see if it helps.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: How I really, really improved my FPS

My monitor is 2560 x 1440 (27" iMac) and that's just impossible for my low cost PC to play with decent settings. I've got it at 1920 x 1080 now, with I think some medium and some high settings and it looks great to my eye. I also have a 6870 with 2GB in the PC.

Comment

Yea I use a 1680x1050 monitor but I actually had to turn my graphics down to 1240x1024 simply to get playable framerates, it was the only thing that would increase FPS enough.

Former TG-21st
      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I use mine at 1440x900 with Ultra settings, FPS stays at about 60-70 all the time, no microstutter. Although I'm thinking of disabling Vsync to get higher FPS.
        "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
        "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
        "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
          I use mine at 1440x900 with Ultra settings, FPS stays at about 60-70 all the time, no microstutter. Although I'm thinking of disabling Vsync to get higher FPS.

No disrespect intended but why would you possibly need more FPS than 60-70? Anything past 30 really is playable and I don't see what the urgency is to maximize it to those levels.

Just curious is all.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think its just a case of pushing for as high as possible so that when the screen is cluttered you bottom out at as high as possible. This is why I always check the 'minimum' fps in gpu reviews rather than maximum. Anything above refresh rate is wasted in a sense but not when its headroom intended to drag your first case scenario fps up.

Vsync is a killer if you are failing to meet your refresh rate as it can halve your fps in some situations. The new nvidia 680 has a new technology called 'adaptive Vsync' which counters this, really cool.
            Last edited by Wicks; 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              No disrespect intended but why would you possibly need more FPS than 60-70? Anything past 30 really is playable and I don't see what the urgency is to maximize it to those levels.

Just curious is all.
              I disagree that 30 is playable. While the game may technically run on your PC, all other things being equal, you will lose firefights because of your low framerate. Additionally, 30 is noticeably laggy which ruins immersion for me. IMO, 60 is the bare bones minimum you need to play effectively, without lag distracting you from the gameplay.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when explosions happen, your framerate will drop. So if you are averaging 60, it means that you will get video lag when the vehicle next to you explodes.

I know some people say that the human eye cannot take more than 60FPS but I do not buy that. I've also heard that you need a 120Hz monitor to see anything above 60Hz, and I disagree with that too.

I personally like to hit upwards of 90 FPS. My PC can run BF3 on ultra but the frames dip as low as 40. So I've set it up for medium/high settings which keeps my framerates above 70 in all situations, and keeps a 90 FPS average on most maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

Just curious is all.
                I like to keep my games fast paced, I don't really know why, but I want it to be fast moving, best graphics.
                It's like candy to a child :p

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
                  I know some people say that the human eye cannot take more than 60FPS but I do not buy that. I've also heard that you need a 120Hz monitor to see anything above 60Hz, and I disagree with that too.
                  A 60Hz monitor cannot physically refresh the screen more than 60 times per second, hence the 60Hz. Your computer might be capable of pushing 90fps, 120fps, or more, but on a 60Hz monitor your eyes will never see more than 60 frames per second.

From everything I've read online, there is a noticeable difference in smoothness between a traditional 60Hz monitor and a 120Hz monitor up to about 90 frames per second. Beyond 90 fps, the differences are negligible if not impossible to distinguish. Whether that additional smoothness is actually helpful or merely visually appealing is a different story.

And I agree with Bleeding and Wicks about minimum framerates being more important than maximum. The ideal situation is if your computer can push 60 frames per second in even the most demanding scenes. If your framerate never dips below 60 fps in the most intense sequences, you'll never have to worry about hitching or lag occurring at the most inopportune times.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I disagree that 30 is playable. While the game may technically run on your PC, all other things being equal, you will lose firefights because of your low framerate. Additionally, 30 is noticeably laggy which ruins immersion for me. IMO, 60 is the bare bones minimum you need to play effectively, without lag distracting you from the gameplay.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when explosions happen, your framerate will drop. So if you are averaging 60, it means that you will get video lag when the vehicle next to you explodes.

I personally like to hit upwards of 90 FPS. My PC can run BF3 on ultra but the frames dip as low as 40. So I've set it up for medium/high settings which keeps my framerates above 70 in all situations, and keeps a 90 FPS average on most maps.
                    When I played Battlefield 3 on my old card at 30 FPS I got a lot of Microstutter and lag, I agree with you.
                    Since I got this new 7970 I've had no problems, no microstutter, even vehicles move and shoot faster.

Comment

I come from a background of being about two generations of hardware behind the newest series, so min/maxing settings for performance is just something I've grown up doing. Bottom line for me is if I'm playing a single player game I'll focus my settings more towards image quality, and if I'm playing a multiplayer game I'll focus on framerates/performance. As I see it, if my framerate falls my performance as a player falls as well, which has the potential to seriously harm my squad or team's chances of victory.

And also echoing Bleeding, Wicks, and Voodoo, always be more concerned about your minimum (and average) FPS rate more so than your max. reaching upwards of 90 fps is fantastic but it does you no good if you're sinking as low as 10 or 15 or experiencing stutter-step frame lag.

As for screen resolution, think of it as simple math whenever tweaking settings. The larger the resolution you're using, the more pixels the engine and GPU have to render every time it renders a frame. Even a minor decrease in your screen resolution in game can really help in the long run.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

While as said a 60Hz monitor cannot show more than "60 frames per second", what you may be noticing the difference in time between 2 frames. While simple math shows that the average time between two frames in a 60 fps scene should be so low as to be nearly unnoticeable; it is (comparatively)large variances in the time between one set and the next set that cause you to notice. Even one frame update that is greatly out of sync with the others in a second can interrupt some peoples interpolation of the rapidly displayed pictures as a motion scene.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

graphics @ low . Res @ 1280x1024.
                          I have Q8400 @ 3.2 ghz and a GTX 460. 4gig ram

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse