Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will BF4 re-ignite TG-Battlefield?

And maybe even be better?

I came to TG because of BF2. Specifically it was the way TG used the built in VoIP and commander mode. Because it was just there in the game when you started up everybody benefited, even those that didn't use the mic. They could still hear what the "real" TG members said.

Nostalgia time... (wavy image, wavy image...)

When I first started playing BF3 I had no mic. Played lone wolf on pub servers for the first couple of weeks and then I joined a TG server and got kicked because I didn't join a squad. Pissed me off so I went to the TG forum and read the SOPs and thought "Ok, cool. I'll give this a try". Joined again and as soon as I heard actual real players giving orders and distributing information I was hooked. The next day bought a cheap headset with mic at wal-mart and didn't go to another server for at least a year or two. Oh the time spent with the likes of Beatnik and Cing and FatKidDeath among the many others.

Commanders and squad leaders (occasionally drunk) giving orders that we all just followed without any question.

Defending flags because the commander demanded it even though we didn't see any activity then, bam!, couple minutes later two enemy squads attack. Commander lays down some arty to help out and we ****ing hold that damn flag! Squad leader giving instructions constantly throughout the attack, telling us what to spawn as and where to defend.

Then a couple seconds later a heli shows up to transport us to a point to attack a weak spot...

(wavy image, wavy image...)

When BF3 released I hoped to capture that magic again. But the lack of real a commander and the fact at least 50% of the squad couldn't hear other players or the squad leader just didn't work for me. Newcomers didn't understand the benefits of coms. And sometimes my teamspeak plugin was out of date and I didn't hear anything.

Teamwork on the TG servers was still better than most servers but they where so often empty that I joined a larger server. Yes, I cheated on TG often and didn't really regret it.

But now I hope that IF commander mode is at least somewhat like BF2 and IF VoIP is "just there" then not only will the game be better but those coming to TG will see how good this community is and will start playing regular like.

Because honestly with bf3 a casual player, like I was, will not see the difference between a pub server and TG unless they spend a certain amount of time playing then decide to put the work in to install teamspeak plus plugins and configure. And a causal player won't usually play very long on 16 and 32 player servers.

As I alluded to earlier I also think that it could even be better. Updates where a pain in BF2. If you didn't find someplace to download then you where SOL. And while the mods where great, keeping up with them was also a pain. Both of these things fractured the community. For as much as Origin and DLC is condemned it does keep players in sync with each other. If you buy one DLC you probably buy them all. And most fans buy one DLC.

I am remaining a paying member of TG just on this hope. Maybe, just maybe, some more of the old timers will come back. And maybe, just maybe, other will happen upon TG servers and just be mesmerized by what they see and hear.

I love BF3 as a game. It is the most satisfaction I have ever had playing a computer game. But it didn't lend itself much to communities, such as TG, forming around this fantastic game. I hope DICE/EA have learned that the features in the game that help communities form helps prolong the franchise, and thus the profits.

BTW I pre-ordered as soon as I got the email from EA and I have set aside about $1,500 to upgrade my computer just for BF4. The thing just looks incredible.
    Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM. Reason: Original post pretty crappy.
    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Will BF4 re-ignite TG-Battlefield?

2142 Brought me to TG. Joined what at the time was just a random low ping server. Saw server rules in the loading screen: No bunnyhopping, no suicide tactics, no attacking UCB's.

Cool.

Joined a "Learn TG" custom named squad. I had never before seen such tactics and teamwork in any FPS I played previously and it wouldn't have been possible without squad VOIP. Favorited the server and it became the one I played on 95% of the time.

I remember a server populated in the middle of the day, an SM script working overtime during prime-time, and full event rosters with people waiting standby a full three years after release until the Great Lag of '09 pretty much killed the game. (Coincidence BC2 was to release soon...hmmm?)

Comment

Maybe hopefully, A few things will have to be done differently for BF4.

If nothing radical or silly is done with the rules or settings and a good recruitment/advertisement for the server happens, I can see it being full of good players working together for a long time.

but Im not going into it any more then that already did and made other people angry and myself angry and annoyed.

Comment

Im hoping for some more euro-players for BF4, so we can have a populated server on euro peak times and not just US peak times. I sure miss those glorious 2142 games :(
        sigpic

Comment

Hopefully :) Honestly I just hope we get to play the game with some social structure in place a-la BF2142. Don't mess up the game mechanics unless they genuinely *need* to be changed in some way. Otherwise let the game be the game, put rules in place to keep us all playing in the right spirit of the game and then allow the teamwork, community etc to come.
          TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Basic rules aren't bad. It's the way you can bring it.
            You should now be able to tell people (through voice) what they did wrong. Whether they are on TS or not.
            Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Haanstra View Post
              You should now be able to tell people (through voice) what they did wrong. Whether they are on TS or not.
              More importantly, tell them when they did something right :)
              sigpic

Comment

Maybe!

Comment

I'll be checking it out, have it per-ordered. If it is good times I'll stick with it, I gave BF3 a could try but after a while my interest waned.
                  Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Will BF4 re-ignite TG-Battlefield?
                    Yes, yes it will.

Comment

I sure hope so.

Originally posted by Crux View Post
                      Hopefully :) Honestly I just hope we get to play the game with some social structure in place a-la BF2142. Don't mess up the game mechanics unless they genuinely *need* to be changed in some way. Otherwise let the game be the game, put rules in place to keep us all playing in the right spirit of the game and then allow the teamwork, community etc to come.
                      Totally agree.

Comment

Yes, BF4 will definately bring out some old and new players. It will also bring out the hacksters! Was on a pub server last night and you would not believe the hacking going on! I made a list. It was very long. Hackford, BubbleHax, UnbelievableHacker and BrainHax just to name a few.
                        Last edited by OldGunney; 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM. Reason: Getting forgetful

Comment

Possibly?
                          |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

The worst one by far was UberLeetorhaxsGunnI

But yeah I think its going to have the combat of BF3 and the semitactical side of BF2.

Now its really up to the players, they have these features no excuses now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
                              Now its really up to the players, they have these features no excuses now.

Promises made vs. promises kept

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X