Compass... mad, anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compass... mad, anyone?

I fear this thread won't have any further value to it. But I need to know... is the compass diving you guys mad as well? I want to pull my hair out! They finally got rid of the stupid digital compass from BF3 and put in a top view normal one - which is great - but then ruined it by making it impossible to read!

But talking of the compass, did you notice the position sensitive radio transmissions? When it says "spotted enemy X south of your position" that player or vehicle that has been spotted actually IS somewhere south of you! That's fantastic!

Re: Compass... mad, anyone?

Yeah its pretty annoying. Probably a fix in the next DLC for the low low price of $99.95! :D

Honestly it is miles better than BF3, if they would just make the directions easier to see!

Comment

Yup it is really hard to see the compass. It takes waaaay too long to read. I guess we're just going to have to learn the maps...

However, I do really like how you can see which way friendlies are facing - great for covering sectors!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
        Yeah its pretty annoying. Probably a fix in the next DLC for the low low price of $99.95! :D

Honestly it is miles better than BF3, if they would just make the directions easier to see!

And if they added little bars every 15 or so. These are really lacking as well. Used those always for precise spotting. It does not go into my head how they can decide not to implement such basic things, which they even had in previous titles.

Comment

Can minimap rotation be disabled?

Comment

I thought I was old and half blind. Good to know that I am just old. The compass is horrible. I would say the PS2 compass and minimap provides an example of a decent, flexible design, but that might make people angry ;-)

These game designers to to learn how to steal good ideas from each other.
            sigpic

Comment

Or just don't forget about functional designs they had in their OWN old games... :/ That would be a start. Unfortunately developers seem to not really care about ingenious or at least solid tools for team coordination.

I don't agree on the PS2 compass btw. It is basically the same as in BF3 just hat it's a little more readable and above rather than below the minimap. I prefer top view compasses, because with compasses like in BF3 or PS2 I always have one serious issue, that is I always get confused about which cardinal direction is to the left and which to the right. When I look South for example, I cannot instantly tell whether that guy on the hill to my right that just shot me is East or West of me... that does not happen with top view compasses, as you always see the whole thing. IDEALLY though we would have both. The top view for quick orientation and the horizontal view for more precise values with bars every so and so degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
                I cannot instantly tell whether that guy on the hill to my right that just shot me is East or West of me... that does not happen with top view compasses, as you always see the whole thing. IDEALLY though we would have both. The top view for quick orientation and the horizontal view for more precise values with bars every so and so degrees.
                This has happened to me more times than i can count, if they make the compass jsut a little bit brighter, itll be great! Im sure in a month or so, we'll be knowing which way is north on the map without having to look at the compass
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

True, the PS2 compass is hardly the cat's pyjamas. It does have an excellent zoom in/out feature that is weakly present in BF3.

I would prefer no compass at all, no spotting either. Force people to play as a high-functioning communicating team in stead of all these devices designed to do your thinking for you.
                  sigpic

Comment

A compass is a tool to support communication/ coordination! In no way does it the thinking for you! In contrast to the ridiculous 3d spotting.

Comment

I'm mad as HELL!!!! I've never seen it!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                        I'm mad as HELL!!!! I've never seen it!
                        :icon_lol:

What about the minimap - can that be made static, or does it spin with you? (I assume it's the latter given all this talk about the compass)

Comment

Default is rotating minimap. Not sure if it can be switched to static. I myself have lots of problems orienting myself with a static minimap. Though a static minimap would be kind of a workaround to the compass.

Comment

I wish they'd just pull something similar to PR

Granted I don't have much issue with the current compass, and i'm learning the lay of the flags pretty well... but I'd love a compass in the center of my screen.
                            Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X