How to: Record gameplay in the BF4 beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Record gameplay in the BF4 beta

In my quest to record gameplay in BF4 I have run into a number of dead ends and finally found a solution that seems to work.

MSI afterburner was the free software that I used to use to not only capture video but to monitor and overclock my video card as well. It does not present an on screen display during BF4 beta and either records nothing or a blank screen. After a bit of digging it seems this program does not support the 64bit architecture of the BF4 beta. The man maintaining it also appears to have little interest in updating it to do so any time soon if at all. Conclusion, still using it for monitoring and card tweaking but not expecting to record. A shame as the author recently announced support for the use of intel quicksync to help record which is built into many of their cpus today. The program should work with the 32bit version of the game when it is released but I do not plan on running it that mode so I had to cross it off.

Next I tried Xsplit which is commercial software with a free version mainly used to stream video to a broadcasting sight. While the free version lacks many of the features of the full blown version it should have sufficed since it still presented the option to record to a local file. It does however require quite a bit of web site registration to get it going. Sadly I experienced the same issue as with afterburner and ended up with blank recordings. This one may have been more user error since I did not investigate in depth for a solution. But, in looking for xsplit I had heard of a alternative software which offered many of the options for free.

OBS or open broadcasting software. It took me a bit to find the program but after that the installation and setup were straight forward enough and it also supposedly supports intel quicksync to assist recording. I loaded it up and configured it in the settings to start recording to a local file, went to review it and awesomely found viewable video. The simplicity of this is what made me happy. The fact that it is free was great as well since my video recording practices are hobbyist at most.

So what I want to know is, what is your experience with any of these programs specifically in the BF4 beta so far or what other alternatives are you using/know about? I'm guessing that FRAPS works but is there a free version and how does it compare?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: How to: Record gameplay in the BF4 beta

a TG thread from 2142 days, on recorders
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/video-p...recorders.html

I would suggest fraps or playclaw as the best two by far
    Its worth a try of the free version to evaluate if its worth the money for the full version
    Currently I am finding playclaw the preferred as it seems to have less impact on my FPS

Comment

From reading around the web on this subject these seemed to be the main go to software solutions these days:

- OBS
      - dxtory with custom encoders
      - Playclaw
      - Action!
      - MSI Afterburner(but not for bf4 as namebot stated)

I'm not too happy with the framerate hit in the couple I played with so I'm trying a hardware capture card - be here next week.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I use fraps, and I find it does a pretty good job. The only downside is that it hurts my fps. I lose up to 30 fps once I start recording. I have used play claw in the past and found that it worked very well. It was a free copy that didn't upgrade though and I never bought a license. I would like to know how you find the free Obs software if you could report back.

Edit:spelling
        Last edited by hil3illy; 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
          I use fraps, and I find it does a pretty good job. The only downside is that it hurts my fps. I lose up to 30 fps once I start recording. I have used play claw in the past and found that it worked very well. It was a free copy that didn't upgrade though and I never bought a license. I would like to know how you find the free Odb software if you could report back.
          Here's the OBS website. It's designed primarily for livestreaming to sites like twitch.tv, but the local capture / recording feature works very well, definitely on par with or a little better than Playclaw 3 and 4.

This guide helped me a bit with the setup. I can post my settings if it helps anyone, however I haven't tried recording BF4 yet. Now that we've had a few patches I'll give it a shot this weekend.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I would be interested in seeing your setup Lancer, I tried recording with this tonight and I'm not to happy with the quality. I am assuming it has something to do with the encoding settings, the load in screen looks nice and crisp but gameplay is blocky (technical term)
            sigpic

Comment

HilBilly, check out:

Settings>settings>encoding and change the bitrate to something higher (~24000 out to be more than enough for youtube from what I read)

Settings>settings>Advanced and consider changing the x264 preset to something more towards the "slower" end of the selections

That should improve the quality of the video you are taking
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Perfect thanks Nameb0t. I did a little note reading about it last night too and realized that I needed to change this up.

I have enough spare parts around that I'm considering running a second PC to record/stream. From some of what I read this could make a huge difference as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X