Clear All

• Good read

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/te...CD515203A03B01
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Good read

The article is generally crap in my opinion.

The entire first page is basically trash. The author cites irrelevant statistics such as dipping Xbox 360 and PS3 sales over the past two years; sales stats of consoles that launched 7 years ago. The article strikes an alarmist tone passing the message that if BF4 fails it will bring the video game industry "closer to extinction." (Is this guy serious?) I also think that the author overestimates the importance of mobile devices. While EA would certainly like a slice of the mobile pie, EA and Zynga are ultimately competing for different audiences.

The quotes and insight into DICE's history, quotes from DICE employees, and where DICE as a company fits into EA's turbulent past couple of years however, are the only decent parts of the article.

I think that the author lacks a basic understanding of what he is reporting on. He makes far reaching and likely incorrect claims on page one, and then tries to back them up with semi-relevant statistics and the failures of EA specific titles Medal of Honor and SWtoR. Making the claim that EA has a lot riding on BF4 is one thing. Making alarmist statements about the future of video games based on EA titles alone is nonsensical.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I liked the video when it showed there office, such comfortable working conditions. Valve's offices are pretty awesome too
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

The author is clueless:
        "They are trying to create a new type of military shooting game even as the genre confronts technological, narrative and public relations hurdles. If they fail, video games will be that much closer to extinction."

Comment

The author is clueless indeed. The gaming industry is worth billions and is growing stronger and larger every year. Print news... can't say it's doing well.
          Skud

Comment

I liked the part about that game everybody hates or likes.
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X