Learn TG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn TG!

This was brought up in the "Old Dog" post, and I didn't want to hijack the thread. But it sounds like folks are interested in growing the community. At this risk of coming off a a complainer, my recent experience may be of interest, so I'll share it for those interested.

Most of you don't know me from Adam, though I've been around a few years, I mostly dropped by the site to read forums and rarely ever joined in "TG" Game play for one reason or another. So I'd absolutely consider myself a TG noob.

When the BF4 Beta came out, I caught the FPS bug in a big way and thought it was a great opportunity to finally get both feet wet here at TG. It was my experience however, that it's not that easy. Now granted, this was "Beta" and non TG servers...and I am NOT complaining, lol!

Anyway, I found the thread with folks listing their names in BF4 and added them as friends on Battlelog, no problem. But what I found in game was not TG Noob friendly. I probably ran half the time with TG tags, and after some bad experiences, dropped the tag to see if it made a difference.

What I found is that Many TG players were in squads of 2 or 3 and locked their squad. Also Many times I'd join a squad with a couple TG guys, and soon after one would say to the other "hey, let's hop into "name"'s Squad, and I'd be left solo.

Guys naturally want to play with their buddies and folks they know, and I certainly don't expect everyone with a TG tag to drop what they're doing and hold some noob's hand. But if you are a new guy, it's not something that would make you hot for a community. You certainly don't want to force guys to not play with their pals. After all, when it comes right down to it, we're all here for "fun".

So, to the point, I think having one or two guys volunteer as a "Learn TG" squad leader for a night is brilliant. It appears you folks did that in the past, and I would strongly recommend that you implement it again if you're truly interested in growing the TG community.
    SPOOK...
    "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Re: Learn TG!

I'll run with ya!! Add me in your friends list "Toddshooter".

Also I would be willing to run a squad on occasion to introduce peeps to the TG way. Sign me up.

Todd
    sigpic

Comment

Given that we were on other servers and VoIP was working, I think a lot of people wanted to avoid the 12-year-old kids shouting epithets about their mothers over VoIP during the beta. :p Still, it's good to keep something like this on the forefront of people's minds as we head into release week. Always good to see new faces around, and feel free to add me (Arithea, same as forums)! :)

For those of us who've been around for a while, if you've been comfortable squad leading in past Battlefield titles here, you might consider running an open squad at least once a week. I made a practice of it in 2142 and had some really good times.

Comment

I can't wait for an official petition to DICE/EA for renaming the squads. It's difficult to pull off "Learn TG" without a squad name.

However - you can count me in on this 100%. I loved running the Learn TG squads in BF2142. Heck, that's where I met a lot of people that became TG regulars. Learn TG is among the best ways to make the TG BF4 community an awesome one: instead of forum posts and enforced rules, we show what we're about to people who are interested in our type of play. I can't wait for it.

Comment

Welcome to TG Spook. I'm glad you found us. I can assure you things will be different when TG runs its own server. Jump on our TS server before you sign in and announce your self and ask for slot in a squad. I guarantee you will be welcomed wholeheartedly.

See you on BF4
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up Spook. I remember running with you a few times and enjoyed you in squad.

I think some of what you experienced was because of the Beta itself with the bugs in the join on friends pulling people and locking squads. That being said if you or anyone notices this happening on OUR server please make our Admin team aware of it. Either find us in TS or in the Contact an Admin forum.

With that out of the way :) We are hoping that with the great SL we have will start to rub off quickly on others and help mold new SL's. I remember taking my first faltering steps and having the encouragement of my squad to keep me going. Anyone can lead a squad and the only way to get better is to try.

With out the luxury of being able to rename our squads so people will know which is a Learn TG squad we will need to come up with some way of letting everyone on the server know. One idea would be to announce in team chat that you are running a Learn TG squad - "Bravo Squad is Learn TG, newcomers welcome!" or something along those lines. What are your ideas?
            sigpic

Comment

I would be surprised if most of those locked squads were not due to the silly "Join on Friend" functionality that had unstated consequences. One consequence was that your friend may have been pulled out of the squad they were in and put in a squad with you, set to "private". Meaning that only other friends could join it and perhaps only through the "join on friend" option.

This shouldn't be an issue after launch as the TG server should be bookmarked by all members and they will be using the "join server" button instead.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I think Namebot might be right on the join on squad functionality. Also yes, I got left behind a few times as squads were changed but that honestly was because I spent a lot of time in the beta crashing and rejoining. Folks know me so they'd hold my hand and get me back with them. That will happen to you to Spook. The helping hand is always here from these fine people, but the beta was kind of hectic at times. If you see any of us feel free to squad up and say hello and come hang for some great BF 4 action :)

|

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  I would be surprised if most of those locked squads were not due to the silly "Join on Friend" functionality that had unstated consequences. One consequence was that your friend may have been pulled out of the squad they were in and put in a squad with you, set to "private". Meaning that only other friends could join it and perhaps only through the "join on friend" option.

This shouldn't be an issue after launch as the TG server should be bookmarked by all members and they will be using the "join server" button instead.
                  I suspect that was the case more times than not. In fact, on TS I heard folks comment that they were unaware their squad was locked.

I did have plenty of good times as well with TG folks in the beta, obviously. I specifically remember good squads with Hillbilly, Toddshooter (I'm a "Todd" as well) and Namebot. I'll be sure to add all you fine folks to my list, if you're not already there....

But, again, my aim here wasn't to make people share their jumprope with me, though I appreciate the kind words, but rather to state what a great Idea I think the "Learn TG" squad is. Very much looking forward to more shootin' and scootin' with you all.
                  SPOOK...
                  "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

OT: Who's the guy in your avatar ? looks like a World War 2 pic

|

Comment

Originally posted by Warlab View Post
                      OT: Who's the guy in your avatar ? looks like a World War 2 pic
                      That's my Granpap. He was a machine gunner with the 3rd Marine division during WW2. He was one hell of a man, as were many of that generation. We were very close, named my son after him.
                      SPOOK...

Comment

Learn Tg squads were definitely one of the great things that this community has invented over the years, can't wait to help with them.

Your on my list already spook from the beta
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Welcome Spook. I think you are feeling more TG love now!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spook View Post
                            That's my Granpap. He was a machine gunner with the 3rd Marine division during WW2. He was one hell of a man, as were many of that generation. We were very close, named my son after him.
                            My father was a Marine in the war also, very cool that you honor him so :)

|

Comment

Originally posted by Spook View Post
                              My great-grandfather was in the Army at D-Day, my mother's father and adoptive father were both Marines during the Korea era and I just ended active duty in the Marine Corps myself. It's always great to hear about our fellow warriors. OORAH!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                              [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                              [support]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse