Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Male's Method: Tactical Defense via Fireteams

Fireteam Management in BF4

I have been working on operating procedures that simplify squad management and tactical decisions while increasing force ratios and cohesion, greatly influenced by what I learned from John.C in BF2 and BigGayAl in PS2. Returning once again to the BF franchise I intend to approach the game as a training environment for fireteam-based modes of operation.

I will deploy my men in two fireteams, Alpha and Bravo. The exact composition of the fireteams will vary according to the demands of the situation, but generally we will operate with three men in Alpha and two in Bravo. When circumstances permit the fireteams will be expanded to include a second squad (the two-squad platoon method of the 1stMIP).

When squad leading I will alert the CO (if present) that my squad specializes in defense and request that we be used as such.

There is always more ground to defend than can be properly covered by only one squad so flexibility and compromise are built into the fireteam's SOPs. Some flags will lend themselves to the use of armour by one fireteam, other flags will require other accommodations.

Each fireteam has an appointed fireteam lead. Fireteam members stay close together. Fireteams operate in separate but mutually reinforced zones, ideally with interlocking lines of fire between each fireteam, thus enhancing the overall force ratio.

Also, again ideally, fireteams operate close enough so as to share a common set of references (flag, buildings, streets and so forth) that provide shared killing zones when engaging contacts. Fireteams ensure that no squad member is left to engage an enemy contact on his own. The goal is mutual support, high cohesion, and enhanced force ratios at all times.

I will use this thread to document the fireteam methodology in BF4.
    Last edited by E-Male; 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM.
    sigpic

Re: E-Male's Method: Tactical Defense via Fireteams

After a brief survey of the BF4 maps I am convinced that tactical defense is possible in this new game and, indeed, essential.

Last night I was running a squad with OldGunny, Mike, Spook, and a few others and was positioning them in forward defense positions -- usually midway between our defended flag and an enemy flag. As enemy forces would shift from flank to flank I would move the squad to meet the enemy.

On other occasions I would position the squad in a forward defense posture that provided direct oversight on an enemy flag (usually possible on the flood map, for example).

Note to self: I need to find out how to obtain the spawn beacon thingy and which kit it comes with.
    sigpic

Comment

Controlling the 'dead ground' between flags can be extremely effective, especially with a tiered defence, bravo, fully agree.

Comment

The spawn bacon (on purpose) is in the recon kit. I enjoyed grouping up with you on the hotel map the other night. I thought we did a great job controlling the huts and the run aground tanker flags.

Comment

One of my favorite things to do is predict where the enemy is going to hit next and hit them from the side as they try to launch their attack.
          TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X