First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

I only got in a quick 10 minutes on some random server, but I was really impressed. It was actually the sound that caught my attention, it seemed a lot more immersive than it did in the beta.

What were your first impressions?

Re: First Impressions

Well, given that the baby had us awake at midnight, we hopped on the TG server for a bit, and the half round or so I was in was a blast! VoIP was a bit spotty, but that could just be a temporary thing and/or growing pains for the server, so no big there.

Overall rating: WOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Yeah, it's going to be good times. A little unstable at the moment but I'm sure they'll work all that out.
      Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Well, I got off to a bad start in that my preload decided to crap out on me yesterday and didnt wind up finishing until 11:15pm MT last night, so the server was winding down at that point. I did manage to get in for about 2/3 of the last mostly-populated round on the Dam map.

1. Many thanks to Skud for providing me with my first BF4 death by TKing me. Saved me the embarrassment of getting owned by someone on the other team. Granted, that came later, but still. :D
        2. Visually stunning, but the gameplay feels every bit the same as BF3 and I dont think I like it so far. I'm hoping that once we get everything the way we want it, that will sort itself out.
        3. I'm assuming we have a technical issue with the server to work out because there werent any unlocks and nobody could go CO.
        4. Apparently we can throw meds and ammo 20 feet or so.
        5. VOIP issues arent isolated to our server. Dave, Avs, Skud, Unload and I hopped on another server after ours emptied out and we had some pretty broken comms the whole time we were there.

Comment

Very beautiful maps! But so immense it's gonna be hard to memorize all the layouts! Have only heard fellow TGer Kat on VOIP. Tried using voip on different servers but no one answered up. Maybe they don't speak English.

Running medium settings and find FPS at 50-60 inside and 20 outside. Also had some pauses and drops to single digit FPS as I advanced through different parts of the maps. I think it may be due to my 4 gig memory bottleneck. Will have to add another 4 gig of memory.

Comment

Beautiful maps and framerates are smooth. I had two crashes though, so hopefully that will be patched. Digging the server settings, though I'm concerned on if we'll have other weapons besides the starting ones. It looks like nothing is unlocking or is unlocked.

Comment

I played a couple of hours last night and about an hour this morning. I'm loving it, as I did the beta. No problems with VOIP. I turned off TS prior to avoid confusion, not sure if that made a difference or not. I did have a lag issue on one server, but it was only for about 10 minutes and it cleared up.
              SPOOK...
              "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

the maps are nice but it didn't seem all that different from BF3. Voip seemed to work okay for me.

I was sad everyone left after two or three rounds. Seemed like people cleared out because all the unlocks were unavailable.

I played some of the campaign after that. It was fun enough but BF is all about MP anyways.

I jumped in a random server a little while later and played the "resort" map.

I know I'm in the minority but I like fewer players rather than more players. I'll never match up to those with the best skills and it seems a smaller player count helps me stay competitive. I think as the game evolves and all the assets are available this will help squad play and cohesiveness and that will help my own game improve substantially I think. Still. I recorded some nice kills during the short time I was on but I did more dying than killing.

People compared one of the maps to metro (the one with snow). I don't see the comparison. Sure--it's linear but you can go outside and up and down levels so I don't see it as the same kind of meat grinder Metro was when down in the tunnels.

Looking forward to more action tonight. Hope the admins can shed some light on the unlocks issue. I know I shouldn't...but I kind of like working my way up the ranks and earning points and weapons.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by AstroCat View Post
                  Yeah, it's going to be good times. A little unstable at the moment but I'm sure they'll work all that out.
                  +1

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Played the campaign early with the VPN unlock, then hopped on to TG for a round or two last night and a few this morning on other servers.

) VOIP is spotty regardless of server. It was seemless and perfect 8 years ago. You could tell who was talking to you and you had separate channels for Squad voip and CO voip (assuming they do now, too, but no commander meant unable to try it). Did they lose all that code? Seriously?
                    ) Teamwork/VOIP: So far, outside of TG, I've had one person talk to me over VOIP. A lot of guys were typing in chat that they didn't have mics (???? Really ?????). Hopefully this is a problem that is remedied over time, but right now it is a lot like BF3 - a lot of blobs rushing around together and you're lucky to have a guy or two in your squad working with you. This shouldn't be an issue on TG.
                    ) Maps are impressive. Still learning names, but my two favorites so far are Kirov?? (forest map with buildings in middle, large tower as RU first flag) and the prison map. Actually, the prison map could be the best one in the release so far for pure infantry fun.
                    ) Sounds are awesome, and as W6 said, complete the immersion. Nicely done, DICE.
                    ) Game play is still fast and furious. I'm trying to remember that I am coming off of almost 6? years of essentially playing PR exclusively and I am a slow, methodical player right now lacking in pure twitch skills. It is still fun, and the opportunities for teamwork are there regardless.
                    ) Server lag/game lag: I experienced some this morning, but all on the server side. I'm playing smoothly at Ultra on everything, so the game runs beautifully in terms of visuals and frame rate. I did crash once loading a map, and I'm about 100% sure that there are other bugs to be ironed out.

All in all I'm very excited about the release and look forward to having some great times for a long while!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Looking forward to more action tonight. Hope the admins can shed some light on the unlocks issue. I know I shouldn't...but I kind of like working my way up the ranks and earning points and weapons.
                      There is no reason you shouldn't like working up ranks. There is not a single multi player game I played out there, where I exclusively played on a TG server. I have yet to play on TG's BF4 server. I will work towards leveling some and use TG as my testing grounds (obviously the teamwork and people aspect is there too) for what I want to focus on when not on the TG server. I believe in equal opportunity!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

I felt that many maps actually helped slow the pace down to something more reasonable and realistic. Saw lots of design work that rewards stealth, defense.

Noted that people where often engaging at a distance. Suppressible fire worked well.

A few maps that had a narrow linear feel but otherwise excellent fun ahead.

This is a game that will reward teamwork.
                        sigpic

Comment

Obviously, there are some bugs to work out (VOIP, couple of crashes), but this is to be expected.

I thought the game looked and played pretty solid. I didn't have any of the performance issues that plagued my beta experience.

I am in no position to give a fair assessment on the maps at this point, but the couple I saw, I liked.

Overall: thumbs up.

Comment

Has anyone verified that all weapons will be unlocked on Unranked servers? Seems it would be illogical for Dice to do this.

Comment

it was pretty awesome :D

BTW, VOIP was working perfectly today on our server, i had no glitches at all.

I'm sure we'll be having an update on the unlock situation soon :)
                              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X