Squad leader Expectations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad leader Expectations

Guys, I'd like to see a sticky on this topic. You can never communicate enough and my experiences on our server since launch indicate its needed.

Last night for example, I was in a squad with a member of an IHS was wearing tags, had no mic and was SL. There was no communication with the squad either through chat or commo rose despite repeated request for designation. Another round with a very experienced former tag wearing TG'er who no longer wears the tags as SL who spent most of the round in a jet. As you can guess both experiences were not about what we were trying to promote in BF4. I'd like to try and address it quickly before it becomes a pattern of behavior that becomes accepted.

Here's my first pass chop away or add as you see fit.

Squad Leader expectations

Must have a mic

Follow commanders orders when a commander is present, coordinate with other SL's in Teamspeak when commander is not present

Designate attack / defend objectives

Provide guidance to the squad on kit needs

Coordinate with and make reports to admins to support compliance with server rules.
    Last edited by Al Lunn; 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Squad leader Expectations

Fits nicely with the other conversation going.

In my opinion SL's using mics and actually leading should be a server rule.

I think very little leeway should be given on this.

Tagged TGers to boot. That should be brought up in the IHS squad forum and addressed directly to the leader of said IH squads.

My unsolicited two cents.
    Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I would also like to add that if there is a CO on SLs should make every attempt to follow their orders. If everyone is working together for a common goal winning and fun comes naturally

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thank God you posted this!!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Yup plus following CO orders is a fundamental rule at TG, not an option lol.

Comment

I didn't think that teamwork and communication were optional for anyone from CO to the lowliest grunt, let alone squad leaders. Isn't that already spelled out in the server rules?

1) Teamwork is required
            - All players must join a squad and follow SL orders
            - SLs must follow CO orders and make squad-leading a top priority

2) Audio is required
            - Players MUST be able to hear VOIP. Use of a microphone is strongly encouraged.

VOIP is perfectly functional for the vast majority of people, if any real subset of players even have issues with it at all. So that's no excuse to be silent or just have bull sessions with the good old boys in TS(the bad habits that have been developed on this front as people have acclimated to a lack of VOIP in BF3 and other titles is a real problem, I feel).

We've been graced with what is, for all intents and purposes, an updated BF2 rather than a black hole of teamwork like BF3. Wasting that potential by treating it like a COD clone shooting gallery with vehicles is a terrible shame. It's an opportunity that TG hasn't had for a long time. I can't imagine that anyone really wants to waste that.
            Last edited by Silas; 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM.
            Un Equipo de Trabajo Para Bien de Todos

Comment

Fantastic!

I had the same experience last night while trying to show a buddy what TG was about. We ended up leaving the dud squad and spent the evening running a squad of two.

When the server is full, and squads are full, you're pretty much stuck with the squad the game puts you in when you enter, or have to start a new one. So it's pretty lame when your SL is a dud.
              SPOOK...
              "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

I think maybe it's a little bit because it's a new game and everyone is still trying to figure out the "lay of the land" but I totally I agree it would be nice to have a bit more communication and coordination.
                Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

My ingame VoIP is not working great for me. It is WAYYY too low for me to hear, especially when the poopie hits the fan. When everything is silent I can make out what you are saying but the second one bullet goes off I feel like I miss out on an entire conversation. If I am not where I am supposed to be when you issue an order through ingame VoIP, it is because I did not hear you. Not because I am actively resisting orders, which I would never do. Just putting this out there if someone is in a squad with me.

I have noticed that people give orders to other flags but do not update their pointer sometimes. This is wrong because of the above reason. Sometimes I do not even notice this because of how active the battlefield can become, but that is a fog of war issue.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                  [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                  [support]

Comment

Lunn, I've PM'd you asking for additional information so I can address this with my squad member.

Though, as an aside I will say that it might be a smidge early to begin criticism on much to do with the game due to it being out less than a week. A majority of the membership is still having technical issues or getting their settings right. I know VoIP for me is still spotty at best with a lot of garbled comms and occasionally cut off traffic. I would suggest everyone have patience until the growing pains of a recently released game have passed.

Comment

I've experienced similar things; some of which I've chalked up to audio cutting out on maps. As a squad member it doesn't hurt to give the first few orders from the SL some verbal acknowledgement or comma rose 'affirmative' from time to time to get that line of back and forth communication clearly established.

Comment

Originally posted by Aruncado View Post
                        Though, as an aside I will say that it might be a smidge early to begin criticism on much to do with the game due to it being out less than a week.
                        I've seen this little treasure of logic mentioned a few times in other discussions. It's just wrong. It's never too early to set forth our expectations of the community. We're here to play Battlefield the TG way, let's remind our seasoned vets who may have forgotten a couple of things how we like to roll and let's setup these topics for future visitors so they know what the deal is =)

Comment

Originally posted by Squinty View Post
                          I've experienced similar things; some of which I've chalked up to audio cutting out on maps. As a squad member it doesn't hurt to give the first few orders from the SL some verbal acknowledgement or comma rose 'affirmative' from time to time to get that line of back and forth communication clearly established.

This might not be the thread for it, but I'd just like to say that the squad members actually talking, calling out contact, movement, and in the quiet times while riding an MRAP or sitting on a flag just shooting the bull is very important. Practically as important as the SL issuing orders and the SM's following them.

On the social side, issuing orders to a squad of zombies is disconcerting no matter how well they follow them, as is being in a squad of Charlie Chaplin imitators.

Comment

Originally posted by Squinty View Post

This might not be the thread for it, but I'd just like to say that the squad members actually talking, calling out contact, movement, and in the quiet times while riding an MRAP or sitting on a flag just shooting the bull is very important. Practically as important as the SL issuing orders and the SM's following them.

On the social side, issuing orders to a squad of zombies is disconcerting no matter how well they follow them, as is being in a squad of Charlie Chaplin imitators.

Comment

I have had similar problems with several people wearing tags, both IHS and TG-general tags. Everyone who has ever gamed with me knows that I'm an active communicator. But when I'm in a squad of 5 people whose names I regularly see on the forums and I'm the only one who is saying anything for an entire round? It's relatively disconcerting. I'd have to disagree with our beloved Avocado about the criticism angle though: we have new titles come out all the time and we require communication universally across all of them, so people magically forgetting where their mic button is or how to type out a chat message because BF4 has blown their mind, well...

I'm just throwing this out there:
                              If you're in a squad that I'm running, I REQUIRE COMMUNICATION. It doesnt have to be voip, but you'd better be able to respond when I ask a question. Hell, one of the best people for communication that I've ever had the experience of gaming with had to type everything because he was deaf.

Now, that being said, I'm always on TS while I'm playing. I generally stay out of the mass-populated general BF4 channel in favor of the 6th channel or someplace quiet. If you're in my squad and you prefer TS to the often-shoddy ingame voip, feel free to join whatever channel I'm in, or we can simply create a new one.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you cant handle actively communicating with the other four people you're going to be working with for the duration of a round, then I dont want you in my squad. Period. If I join a squad that isnt talking to each other, I'm going to leave.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X