Operation meatgrinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation meatgrinder

IMO, Operation Locker is a really bad map for a 32v32. We end up with 2 chokepoints and a yawn fest. There are not a lot of tactical options - a) watch the indoor chokepoint b) watch the outdoor one.

It is also the most frequently played map on our server according to gametracker at 36%. I am guessing that has to do with the fact that it is first in rotation and that the crashes happen quite quickly. http://www.gametracker.com/server_in...142.160:30000/

Any chance we could do away with that map? At least temporarily?

Edit: I just read Whiskey's post that the map has been moved to the first spot in the rotation to help seed the server. IMO, the server fills up sooooo fast that it's really not needed.

Re: Operation meatgrinder

The 36% is dark red so it is "other".

And Whiskeys post is already out of date.:b Server kept crashing with Locker as seeder(it seemed like a good idea given map would be better with the lower player counts of a seeding population) so I just changed seeder to Paracel Storm - Locker is at end of list now.

If frequency of crashes doesn't lower then it may just be EA backend was having a bad day. Time will tell...
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I haven't even played the map yet. Can we give it some more time before we start pulling maps?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I see it as no worse than good old Camp G from the 2142 days

Comment

I don't think it was pulled, I think it was just shuffled to be placed later in the order.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
            I haven't even played the map yet. Can we give it some more time before we start pulling maps?

Yesss please. I for one havnt even played multiplayer yet

Comment

The only map pulled(temporarily) is Shanghai because half the server crashes when the skyscraper falls.

Stability and changing seeding maps is the only factor in maplist changes now and for the foreseeable future.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
                I see it as no worse than good old Camp G from the 2142 days
                I agree, and it's going to turn into the same love/hate relationships I had with that map. Give it some time. Let people unlock smoke grenades and such that will change the tactics a bit before too much harsh judgement is passed. It's maps like these that bring out the bold commanders, squad leaders, and tight teamwork down the road.
                sigpic

"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
                Retired 11th Airborne | Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Comment

Originally posted by TomDaSlaya View Post
                  I agree, and it's going to turn into the same love/hate relationships I had with that map. Give it some time. Let people unlock smoke grenades and such that will change the tactics a bit before too much harsh judgement is passed. It's maps like these that bring out the bold commanders, squad leaders, and tight teamwork down the road.
                  now if we just had a cloaking device, it makes those maps fun :D

but your right Tom, united pushes on strategic points, hittting the weak spot, always a good try at each option.
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I've noticed this is the "go to" map for the "get rank fast" TDM servers. There are many servers that actually only run this map. Which instantly makes it suspect for a TG server, lol... Like 'Knee says, it usually turns into 'nade spamming choke points.

This map itself reminds me of the old "kill houses" from my days as a grunt. I'm not a fan at all of this map on pub servers, but I'd love to play it at least a few times without explosives ('nades, C4, launchers, etc...)
                    SPOOK...
                    "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

also, flash grenades will probably make a difference? I don't know.

TDM maps and conquest maps are really different though. TDM you don't spawn in to any objective or whatever. I wouldn't really count that against it.

That said, I think it's pretty obvious that the map is probably optimal for a number lower than 64. That doesn't mean it's not a fun map to work in: I admit I really appreciate the infantry focused maps.

Comment

Its actually a really well-designed cqc map with a few exceptions: Its possible to get stuck in an area right after the C flag where there are really only two routes: into C and outside. At smaller playercount levels, it plays a lot more like the Close Quarters maps than Metro, in that there are lots of areas for flanking, ambushes (the new destruction system shines here, on a 32 player map I caused a massive wipe by C4ing a wall to make my own route behind the team, then threw a grenade and motion sensors at the "chokepoint" before finishing off several more players with my silenced carbine) and elevation changes.

I agree it probably isn't the best at 32v32, because that gives each team enough bodies to watch absolutely every possible entrance, but I think we should wait some more before passing judgement.
                        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Get to B first and hold = win

Comment

Locker is much much better than Metro. It's a genuinely good infantry map, even with 64 players it never approaches the foolishness that was Metro. There are tons of routes, tons of cover, tons of tiny rooms to hide in and hide beacons in. Especially if you restrain your squads trigger fingers, you can sneak about in the backfield for a surprising amount of time. Also, bring a 320 and shoot some walls. A lot of them are destructible and offer ways around the meat grinder.

Also unlike Metro, the chokepoints are not easily dominated from one general position. In Metro there were not truly separate routes, the three choke points each side had to access were mutually supporting. This is not true in Locker. You can't shoot the outside route from the central tower, and you can't cover the central tower from below.

At first glance, they look similar, but Locker reflects DICE witnessing the issues with Metro and designing a map which kept the good parts and ditched the bad. Pure infantry action is part of Battlefield, and there's nothing wrong with having a map dedicated to it.

Comment

Semi-fortunately, since my computer can't handle 64p at the moment (fixing that soon!) I'm playing on a lot of 32p servers so I'm getting to try out Locker a little more than I'd like. Its continuing to grow on me.
                              I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X