Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Stability

Guys,

There seems to be something with the TG server settings that BF4 particularly doesn't like.

I can play on other servers (TBG, LOD, BF4, etc.) and get the occasional crash (much less frequently after yesterday's patch), but I can hardly finish a match on the TG server. I don't know what it is, but it is definitely specific to the TG server.

I hope DICE fixes it, or you guys figure it out, but it is extraordinarily frustrating to wait forever to get in (no queues - thanks DICE) and then crash before the map even finishes.

Re: Server Stability

Yeah, getting this too. I'll try and notice a pattern if any. Having no queue is another wtf - guess they don't have the technology :)
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I've noticed this also with our server, it seems to crash on a regular bases while playing on other servers I can play for hours with out the server crashing. No idea whats the cause of this but hopefully we can figure out if its TG side or DICE side.

Comment

Wonder what happened - this afternoon I was crashing like crazy (3-4times per round), with VOIP that would cut in/out. Tonight on our server, I didn't crash once and VOIP was rock solid!

Comment

Don't think there is anything wrong with our server. We are just pushing it to its limits and like a typical BF launch the servers don't handle the limits well right now. Reading around it seems like the higher your player capacity the more the server will crash.

Read these threads for example:

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....-BF4-R4-Patch-!

http://forums.gameservers.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50346

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/vie...9780&start=180

Quotes from two GSPs taken from the first thread:

Crashes. All servers crash frequently, but some more than others, because of a variety of factors (server size, level being run, and in-game events all likely play a role). However, it's important to note that all the crashes that we've seen so far have been due to bugs in the game itself, and every RSP is seeing similar behavior. We have not seen any crashes yet that are related to our hardware, and we haven't even seen Blaze-related problems (surprisingly); every crash so far has logged messages relating to a bug, and created a crash dump. DICE is receiving all of our dumps and logs and we are sure that they are investigating these crashes; we're certainly reminding them constantly!
          Known Issues & Fixes

1. Server instability: Probably the biggest problem at the moment. Servers are crashing a lot. Crashes are random and some servers crash more than other.

Current status: Actively being addressed. We have advanced logging in place that logs where and when servers are crashing. DICE is collecting crash logs and have tracked down several bugs which are being fixed for the R5 and R6 patch.

2. Queues and reserved slots not working: At the moment queues are disabled on servers and reserved slots don't work.

Current status: These 2 issues are actually the same issues. For reserved slots to work queues need to be active. After testing the issue has been found and is fixed for R5.
          Just have to be patient fellas - this is unfortunately quite common with BF launches. It does get better.
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

It's not the player count. All the servers I play have 64 +2/2 - same as TG.

I think it has to do with something in the custom settings, because the other servers are all Normal settings.

Comment

Don't get me wrong - we are all ears if someone thinks they heard of a solution somewhere.

There is just so much chatter out there from players, server owners and the GSPs. Perhaps you've just had good luck with the other servers you play on or they are having good luck. We have times we drop after only getting in a map or two and then other times like right now as I type - the server has been up and full for 6 hours and counting.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I've been on our server for hours with no crashes and a full population, and then the next day crashed 3 times in an hour. Same configuration, same population. In spite of anecdotal evidence, it's happening everywhere with random frequency.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Think of it like a coin toss folks. If I flip a coin 10,000 times, it'll come up heads very close to 5000 times. But, if I flip it only 10 times there's a chance it will come up all heads, or all tails. We may have just had bad luck and gotten more than our fair share of crashes in a way that has nothing to do with server settings.
                  TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Originally posted by Crux View Post
                    Think of it like a coin toss folks. If I flip a coin 10,000 times, it'll come up heads very close to 5000 times. But, if I flip it only 10 times there's a chance it will come up all heads, or all tails. We may have just had bad luck and gotten more than our fair share of crashes in a way that has nothing to do with server settings.
                    This. Its not TG's server, yesterday I joined several 32p servers in a row and crashed out within minutes of map load. Anything else is confirmation bias, especially since TG's settings are currently (afaik) unique so you notice more when you play on different servers. A normal server is a normal server, so it sticks in your mind less.

edit: vvvv That's not what confirmation bias means, though if I'm going to be pedantic, I was describing a combination of confirmation biases and availability heuristics.
                    Last edited by Razcsak; 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM.
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

If anything, I'm biased towards our server, as that is where I'd like to spend my playtime.

I pretty much play on three servers. Ours, and two TDM servers (32/32). The TDM servers are absolutely more stable than ours. Over the last three days I've not witnessed either one of the TDM servers crashing, and I myself have crashed out of them a total of 2 times since Friday.

I don't have any idea why that is, but I don't think there's anything we can do about it. 'Cept suck it up and wait for the fixes.

On a side note, I was able to play a stretch of about 2 hours on our server yesterday and actually had to press the "quit" button, rather than crash out. See? Gettin' better already.
                      SPOOK...
                      "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

It might be confirmation bias, but it might not. You don't have enough information to decide that it is in the same way he doesn't have enough information to decide it is not.

It could be a lot of things. It could be game mode. Or size of maps. Or it could be nothing at all. Regardless, it would be wise to wait for EA/DICE to have a couple of patches to try and fix these widespread issues before trying to determine how we should solve the crashes from TG's end. That way lies ill-informed restrictions on the server that decrease our fun without solving any of the underlying issues.

Comment

All of the server crashes I have seen have usually involved Levelution maps. That may just be my luck, but I'm guessing they might have some small part to play. Changing an entire level for 64 people across the world all at the same time

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

would make sense, but I absolutely love those maps, especially the one with the hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              All of the server crashes I have seen have usually involved Levelution maps. That may just be my luck, but I'm guessing they might have some small part to play. Changing an entire level for 64 people across the world all at the same time
                              Interesting to ponder. Someone on TS also brought up the idea that our server is VOIP heavy, especially compared to TDM's which VOIP usage is almost nil.

Fact is.... It is what it is, and that's what it will be until it isn't.
                              SPOOK...
                              "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X