TG squad leaders leaving and rejoining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG squad leaders leaving and rejoining

Guys, it is not OK to leave your squad leading position and then rejoin the squad.

If you end up as the squad lead, man up and lead a squad for a round or two. After that, ask someone to lead the squad next round. Don't leave the squad and rejoin.

I know that not everyone likes to squad lead. Personally, I get tired of it really quickly, esp. if squad members are not complying. However, the only way we are going to get good squad leaders is by setting an example...

Re: TG squad leaders leaving and rejoining

Good points Bleeding.

And a note to all SLs: if your squadmates are not following orders, then please report them to an admin so they can be removed from the server. Chain of command will be taken VERY seriously here at TG.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Whilst I understand the sentiment, please, lets be careful about making blanket prescriptive statements based on our opinions/preferences as a player.

There may be situations where being SL may not be appropriate. I'll give you an example, if I'm the only Admin presence on or have to deal with something I will sometimes resign the position of SL to prevent holding up my squad/team. If it drags on I will leave the game, Admin first and all that.

Secondly, if someone really doesn't want to SL it would be better to let them step aside, have someone else assume the role and then actively mentor them, showing them the way, as opposed to forcing people to be uncomfortable when playing on the basis of some made up 'rule'.

That being said as a reluctant leader do think about sticking it out. Tell the squad you're unsure of being SL and ask for pointers, patience and cooperation and you'll receive the support you need.

Comment

I think it's perfectly acceptable to leave and rejoin, and I'm not sure why you'd want it to be otherwise. Not everyone is meant or wants to be a squad leader. We want to encourage people to be good squad leaders, but we don't really want them to choose between "manning up" and leaving the server altogether.

Comment

BleedingKnee is hardcore. I like that. I led a squad, the 1st Raiders <RDR> on virtual battlefields for 15 years starting with Delta Force and Rainbow Six.

In all that time, I was shocked to learn that not everyone is "hardcore". Quite simply, some guys have no desire to lead, and it would be a mistake to try and force them.

In fact, I have little desire these days to lead. I've done it for so long, now I just enjoy being a "Private". I doubt I'm the only one.
          SPOOK...
          "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

Well it is a pretty good way to switch SLs, leave and rejoin until someone doesn't. That person is the one that wants to Be squaldleader.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
              Whilst I understand the sentiment, please, lets be careful about making blanket prescriptive statements based on our opinions/preferences as a player.

There may be situations where being SL may not be appropriate. I'll give you an example, if I'm the only Admin presence on or have to deal with something I will sometimes resign the position of SL to prevent holding up my squad/team. If it drags on I will leave the game, Admin first and all that.

Secondly, if someone really doesn't want to SL it would be better to let them step aside, have someone else assume the role and then actively mentor them, showing them the way, as opposed to forcing people to be uncomfortable when playing on the basis of some made up 'rule'.

That being said as a reluctant leader do think about sticking it out. Tell the squad you're unsure of being SL and ask for pointers, patience and cooperation and you'll receive the support you need.
              Agreed. There are many reasons not to lead a squad. However, dumping it on someone else without so much as a word is not. If you're not up for squad leading, let the squad know over VOIP.

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
              Well it is a pretty good way to switch SLs, leave and rejoin until someone doesn't. That person is the one that wants to Be squaldleader.
              IMO, this is NOT OK and it is the reason I started this thread. People who want to be squad leaders will start a squad. They will not join an existing one.

Comment

generally speaking, when you're in that situation someone dumped it on you already. doesn't increase the harm to dump it off to someone else.

Comment

I will agree that leaving the squad, and rejoining without saying anything is pretty slimy. At least have the courtesy to sound off and maybe find a volunteer to take it off your hands.
                  SPOOK...
                  "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                    Good points Bleeding.

And a note to all SLs: if your squadmates are not following orders, then please report them to an admin so they can be removed from the server. Chain of command will be taken VERY seriously here at TG.
                    Second this, please report them. Earlier today, I asked a TG tagged member to stay with our squad (I was not the SL) and defend the flag given to us per the commander / SL. He was instead, running aimlessly at a very contested flag that was not ours, and dying repeatedly in a very tight round. He promptly left our squad to join another.
                    |TG-6th|FYAH29
                    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

The only reason I leave and rejoin is because I do not have a mic and I am pretty sure you need a mic for squad lead.

Comment

When I came to TG I asked for help with becoming a good SL and was told the best way is to first learn how the be a good squadmember then you can move on to squadleading and when you are comfortable with that you can sit down in the CO chair and dictate the battlefield like a tyrant..... dammit, CO.

Now this isn't true with all people but I think it works good with most. I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to SL if they didn't feel secure with the roll.

I haven't done any squadleading so far in this game, I don't like to do it before I know the maps and how to get to where, what to hold from where etc. I feel an obligation towards the squad I lead, not that they get all the action or anything like that, but that they feel like the did something important for the team that round. That they kept that all so important backflag or stopped that cap to save the bleed or whatever.
                        So far I've realized the reason I'm not seeing any flags in front of me is because I ran the wrong way back to uncap a couple of times more than I care to admit.

Let people get a feel for the games and their capabilities within it and when they feel safe squadleading join them and help them out.
                        Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

[MENTION=36131]Abel[/MENTION]
                          So who will lead in the beginning? None of us know the maps yet.

Learn with your squad, whether you are leading or following. Don't pass the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post

Good point about being a good squad leader soemtimes needs to learn first. I've found squad leading to be a little more boring as it means I have to play more conservatively since I am responsible for keeping my squad up in a place that is in deep combat. Alot of people don't like doing that.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Truly a delicate question. I do see the problem of leaving and rejoining everytime. It can get quite irritating. I am unfortunately also guilty of doing just that. As a father of small kids I randomly have to be AFK for shorter periods, which would not benefit the squad while away. In addition to that I consider myself to be a better squad mate than squad lead, but I do SL occasionally (with an emphasis on occasionally) But forcing everyone to squad lead is not the answer. HOWEVER, I do think this thread could act as a reminder to us TGers, to at least try to SL sometimes. My guess that even those veteran SLs would like to take a break and enjoy being a squad mate once in a while.

My 5 cents to the discussion...
                              Proud 5th Alum

/DaVinci_Q

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse