Upgrading to SSD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to SSD?

I know not everyone reads all the different forums, so I figured I'd slip in a plug here.

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    This is a brand new, still sealed in the original wrapping, OCZ Vertex 3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227706

I originally bought it to build another PC; that's not happening after all, so I'm just looking to cut my losses. Make me an offer!

Re: Upgrading to SSD?

The ever elusive SSD. I sunk my pennies into a new GPU. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas.

Comment

I have one on my work machine, and given that the MTBF for them seems to be about 2-3 years and the read/write speeds degrade pretty quickly (I started noticing slowdowns after the first year or so of use), I just can't justify getting one for my home machine. To be fair, by "slowdowns" I mean "it now functions at about the same rate as a regular HDD."

Comment

I dunno - switching to SSD is probably the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade I ever made!

Comment

I bet map load times are wicked fast, comparatively...that's my main problem with the setup I have right now.

Comment

I had the beta installed on my secondary HDD and the release is on my SSD. Granted beta vs release isn't the best comparison, but it would take me two or three minutes to load in with the beta and now it takes 10-20 seconds. I'm usually in-game before the rest of my squad, enough to run and cap a flag and have them spawn on it. So yes it's definitely worth getting an SSD!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Well it's not just useful for decreasing the loading times!
              Before I got my first SSD I used to completely wipe my harddrive every 6-9 months because that's how long it took (for me) to get it filled up with enough crap to be rendered next to useless, now when I got my first SSD it took me 2 years before I even started noticing a severe decrease in performance and another 6 months before I finally decided to wipe it clean.

I strongly recommend you get one if you don't have one, it is THE upgrade your computer wants and needs.
              sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
              [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                I bet map load times are wicked fast, comparatively...that's my main problem with the setup I have right now.
                I've got a SSD on my rig just for BF4! Caught myself fussing yesterday cause now usually when I spawn in nobody in my squad is there, even my squad leader! Have to wait a couple of minutes for them to load the map with the older HDD drives so we can start moving!

Comment

Same. SSD for my OS and an SSD for my games. Thing is wicked fast. Specific to BF4, I load in before most other people and can grab any vehicle and be on a flag before the old HDD guys get in.

Comment

I listed mine on CL for $130, but if one of you guys are interested, I'd take less and ship it free.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/sys/4174908449.html

Comment

I love my SSD, got a 256gb vertex 3 (i think) for around 160$ on a Christmas special last year, like other people said, one of the first to load in always.
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                        I've got a SSD on my rig just for BF4! Caught myself fussing yesterday cause now usually when I spawn in nobody in my squad is there, even my squad leader! Have to wait a couple of minutes for them to load the map with the older HDD drives so we can start moving!
                        Same here Gunny. I would sit there and say to myself "Come on SL! Let's go!". Now I realize they are still loading in. :)

I've purchased several refurbed 64 GB SSD's from Newegg when they are on special (~$40). I have one just for Windows 8.1, another for Origin games and a 120 GB SSD I had previously for Steam games. I also have a 1TB SATA HD I use to off-load games I'm not playing at the moment. Love SSD's!

Comment

Makarov, can those SSDs be put in a laptop to replace their slow HDDs? Any difference between PC and Laptop? Wife has a Vista laptop that I can not get on router and it takes 4 mins to come online. Was gonna buy an updrade to Win 7 same as my other computers. Don't want to move to WIn 8 yet.

Comment

SSDs are on of the best upgrades going IMHO. The whole degradation over time through read/write is improving every day and it won't be long until retail units are as good (long-lasting) as HDD's - they already are if you spend enough:
                            http://www.ebuyer.com/509392-hp-ente...ive-690825-b21 (if it's good enough for an Enterprise server...!)

I have a 120GB drive which I install my OS and games onto, which does me, though it's almost always nearly full. I can only keep 4-5 good games on it - from what I've seen you can pick one up for $100, and OG, they will go in a laptop (in most cases, it needs to be a SATA connection but otherwise you should have no issues - anyone selling one to you should be able to advise).

Incidentally, W7 is much, much faster than Vista on same hardware, changing to it and adding an SSD would be like a new machine!
                            Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim - Ovid

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                              Makarov, can those SSDs be put in a laptop to replace their slow HDDs? Any difference between PC and Laptop? Wife has a Vista laptop that I can not get on router and it takes 4 mins to come online. Was gonna buy an updrade to Win 7 same as my other computers. Don't want to move to WIn 8 yet.
                              Yes, an SSD is the size of a Laptop HDD, I use it for OS and games on my laptop
                              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X