Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing Teamspeak for Team communications

Hi Everyone

Not sure if the Admin team is already working on something like this but I would like to throw it out for debate.

As the game stands now we have lets say 6-8 squads on a team working together as a squad with squad comms. (If they are working and not too patchy.) We also have a slot for a commander to switch through the squad channels and give them orders. But unless you have a commander on crack that is constantly switching channels there is really no way for squad leaders to relay info to the commander in a timely manner. Or the squads to work together independent of the commander.
    Also you run into the problem of there really being no team cohesion because you don't hear or know what the other squads are doing to support you and vise versa. It is great for team dynamics to know that your commander has a plan and we are all working toward that goal.

My thought is this. Why not implement mandatory Teamspeak usage for squad leaders and really encourage the use for all on the server. Not sure if it is possible yet to have messages scroll in the chat box or not. Without the handy whisper function of mumble or Prox chat of Planetside2 I find it very hard to communicate with friendly soldiers on the battlefield.

Thoughts? Todd
    Last edited by Toddshooter; 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic

Re: Implementing Teamspeak for Team communications

If Damonte recalls, this was discussed briefly.

We don't want to require people (notably SLs and COs) to use Teamspeak. We don't want to place that block in front of individuals who are not dedicated regulars at TG, to effectively prevent them from squad leading and commanding. To assume that only TG has people who we'd want to squad lead or command would be a very narrow field of vision.

Also, would you then force all squad leaders to be in the same TS channel? If someone is leading a squad of IHS member, Damonte doesn't think they would all appreciate being forcibly ripped out of their IHS channel and into another channel with other squad leaders.

In short, I cannot speak for Wicks or the rest of the admin team but I think it would not be a very good idea. Conceptually, it would be ideal. But the negative implications outweigh the gains in the opinion of Damonte.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

My thought was that IHS would have no problems working and talking together as a squad because this can be accomplished ingame at a squad level. It is only the SL and commander that really need the extra level to make it easier to work as a team. Right now it just seems that we a bunch of little teams and not one big team.

Todd
      sigpic

Comment

While the start of a good idea, we actually should just make a team speed Channel called SL to commander and if there are any TG players running SL they can be in that channel and any commanders who are TG could also be in that channel so you would likely I have for five people in that channel. That way the commander could talk directly to the SL or get his attention or the SL could talk to the commander. What say you [MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION]
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
          My thought was that IHS would have no problems working and talking together as a squad because this can be accomplished ingame at a squad level. It is only the SL and commander that really need the extra level to make it easier to work as a team. Right now it just seems that we a bunch of little teams and not one big team.

Todd
          I think he means that IHS often are together in their IHS channels for camaraderie and the like, so they probably wouldn't appreciate being pulled out.

I think TS has a whisper function that works across channels, so maybe if your CO is a TGer on TS, bind a key to whisper to him? Not as good, but at least then you can communicate with him.

Comment

So what happens when non-TG members (I don't like the term pubbies) who are not on TS join our server and squad lead, or command? Do we kick them off the server because they don't use TS?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Well, you probably don't do anything. I imagine the idea is that it enhances things when possible, not that it becomes mandatory. Automation makes it happen more often and more seamlessly, but that doesn't mean that there need to be requirements to use it.

That said, with VOIP basically working (i know people have been complaining, but it doesn't seem that bad to me), something like this seems unnecessary and probably not something admins would want to make a priority.

I have no problem with a CO asking SLs in the TS channel to switch to a subchannel, though.

Comment

I think it could be encouraged, but I agree about not necessarily making it "required".
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have run through several scenario's on paper where TS comms supplements in game VOIP to facilitate squad to squad and SL to CO comms. Sadly, despite having done this before several times, everybody seems to know better than me, so getting anyone to listen to anything based on years of experience is proving to be more difficult than you think lol. Nevermind, such is the nature of things and Rome wasn't built in a day.

BF3 suffered badly from Squad Coordination vs Team Coordination issues due to inherent flaws in the game. BF4 improves on some aspects and I'm grateful, however it still lacks a fully featured Chain of Command comms structure and a back up for when a CO is not present.

There are weaknesses in using TS that are readily apparent. For example, players on your team, specifically SL's that aren't regulars, aren't on TS. Now that will always happen, it is not insurmountable however. Also having SL's that aren't able to comm on TS in rounds may actually be a cost that is worth paying when you look at the benefits of an incorporated TS system. Firstly having some structure to TS for BF4 would hopefully draw IHS squads and players out of their channels. If TS comms are clear and organised and actually fulfill a purpose, ie coordination, rather than simply social, then people will be more likely to use them. The excuse of "too noisy" etc will be invalid, the benefit of direct SL to SL voice comms over text when a CO is not on station, too strong to deny.

Sitting in IHS channels when playing is something we can slip into, it might initially be more comfortable for those IHS players but to be frank it does little for the overall community, does little for title, when the BF4 channel on TS looks half empty because people are tucked away. As in game voip hopefully sorts out it's wrinkles, when it works properly its very clear, shouldn't that be the default for intra squad comms not TS with its increased latency over in game voip. From a practical perspective I know that if someone is about to shoot me in the back of the head I'd rather I was warned using in game voip than TS as the latter will mean I will be dead before I hear the message. Trust me that's happened to me and others I've played with many times.

For those SL's that aren't on TS, well shouldn't we be pushing those people to our site anyway, if they like the gameplay shouldn't we be making them feel welcome and encourage them to check us out, register and become part of the community. It's what we've always done, it's what we should do. A little work on that front goes a long way.

TS is a fundamental pillar of this community, it's somewhere we can have a real presence, a way to get to know people in a much more human way than cold, hard text. It could also address our comms issues for BF4. The question is really not what form it can take but more whether people are prepared to inconvenience themselves a little and put some work into the community or continue with the squad vs team insular mentality (which I have no doubt is entirely unintentional).

Sorry, that was more than I intended to say and no disrespect intended to my learned colleagues or fellow Battlefielders. This is a subject I have dealt with before many times and have strong feelings on based on what I believe is best for teamwork and the Community, as opposed to personal preference. I don't base my statement on that, I can play either way but it's my job it to do what's right, not what I prefer.

Comment

I'm so frustrated with the voip. Half the time my squaddies can hear me and the half who knows. It makes for a very frustrating experience because I'm always feeding intel to my squaddies but not knowing if they heard and are reacting is difficult. When the 1st is running together we generally group up in our IHS channel to eliminate this issue. Whisper is the answer I think, as opposed to pulling the SL to another channel.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                      BF3 suffered badly from Squad Coordination vs Team Coordination issues due to inherent flaws in the game.
                      We will never escape any of our past titles unless we stop comparing and contrasting with them.

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                      Sitting in IHS channels when playing is something we can slip into, it might initially be more comfortable for those IHS players but to be frank it does little for the overall community, does little for title, when the BF4 channel on TS looks half empty because people are tucked away.
                      There are a couple considerations I would like everyone to keep in mind when they see IHS folks in their IHS channel. First, we often try out new recruits by spending some time squadding with them on server. That means we might be discussing said new recruit while we play, so we might not be in the main TS channel to facilitate that discussion. Also, the main channel is sometimes a bit too full for easy communication, even after rounds and such, so sometimes we hop down to our own channel to escape the insanity. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                        We will never escape any of our past titles unless we stop comparing and contrasting with them.

There are a couple considerations I would like everyone to keep in mind when they see IHS folks in their IHS channel. First, we often try out new recruits by spending some time squadding with them on server. That means we might be discussing said new recruit while we play, so we might not be in the main TS channel to facilitate that discussion. Also, the main channel is sometimes a bit too full for easy communication, even after rounds and such, so sometimes we hop down to our own channel to escape the insanity. :)
                        Agreed, yet we are doomed to repeat past failures if we don't learn from history.

To the second point, quite so, there will always be exceptions.

Comment

My suggestion made no mention of making it required for non-TG members to be in TS. My suggestion was simply two channels to alleviate some of the difficulty of communicating or getting a hold of the commander when it is not your squad that is selected. for right now I think it's fairly simple and fairly easy to do. As far as whisper goes wicks is absolutely right we tried it In bf3 and I believe the reason it failed this is quite cumbersome to set up and no one really wants to put the effort in.
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

To your point about dwelling in the IHS TS channels. It's driven by the poor voip and not by a desire to insulate. That's probably pointing out the obvious I guess but I wanted to get it out there.
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Agreed Ven a requirement would be a bad idea and I personally fully understood that was not what you were suggesting. One would hope if we created something that wasn't cumbersome and benefitted the game and the Community being required wouldn't be necessary for the very reasons I have outlined.
                              [MENTION=24500]grunt[/MENTION]. Yeah I do understand that, however insulation can be an unintended side effect, hence I included the caveat that ingame voip was up and working before this would really work well.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X