Vehicles vs Squads in BF4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicles vs Squads in BF4

This has come up recently and is rather irritating. My little five man infantry squad is attacking a flag, and we start dropping like flies. I notice that they have all spawned in but are currently not on the flag. Curios, I pull up a map screen to find one in the plane, another in a chopper, and two more in a tank. Now I know vehicles are fun and all, but maybe just ask your squad leader before you go and run off grabbing and asset. At the very least, please step up to the plate and lead a squad using said assets. Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Ask your SL

This brings up a really good point - There were named vehicle squads in other battlefield games, but that's not possible here. So... can we brainstorm this a little? How can vehicles effectively fit into the framework of the team and squad?

Comment

Totally agree with this and it bugs me, as a squad member and a squad leader. I got 3 of my guys with me and the 4th guy is running off in a jet or other vehicle asset nowhere near us, doing absolutely nothing to help accomplish the objective or plan set forth. Yes....please ask your SL before you run off with assets and please follow SL orders.
      |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
        This brings up a really good point - There were named vehicle squads in other battlefield games, but that's not possible here. So... can we brainstorm this a little? How can vehicles effectively fit into the framework of the team and squad?
        Usually if we're defending a flag, some light infantry is coming in or some armor, I will ask to pull a little bird with the 25mm cannon to clear the infantry and help take down the tank, I try and use it directly on the squad objective and the immediate dangers around it. I think all assets could be either used in defense, or ask to pull an asset, such as a tank to help punch through an enemy flag defense.

Assets used with squads for support can be extremely effective.

This can even be more effective than have a pure armor squad, as they are not catering to how the other squads need support.
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Announce it in TS? Use team chat to designate your squad as an armor squad?

How regularly do we have all-armor squads, anyway? They do make sense in some contexts, but there are also times it's nice to have some armor support within an infantry squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
            Announce it in TS? Use team chat to designate your squad as an armor squad?

How regularly do we have all-armor squads, anyway? They do make sense in some contexts, but there are also times it's nice to have some armor support within an infantry squad.
            I guess the question isn't so much "how do we make all-armor squads" - I'm more questioning the "all-infantry" squad - under which circumstances can it be improved with a vehicle? Or, flipping it around, how do I ensure my team's vehicles are being used effectively, in an integrated, supporting way?

edit: In my experience, SL's generally don't want people bringing armor up from the UCB - we're focused on THIS flag and environs. So - maybe I'm suggesting we SL's, instead of having our SM's ask if it's OK to grab a vehicle - maybe we be more proactive and request it?

Comment

This sounds eerily familiar!

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

So - maybe I'm suggesting we SL's, instead of having our SM's ask if it's OK to grab a vehicle - maybe we be more proactive and request it?
                Good point--I know that's a blind spot of mine much of the time, so that's something I'll be taking more into consideration in the future. I know we've had some really effective rounds with one or two people running a tank/LAV/chopper to give the infantry in the squad some heavy support and covering fire.

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                This sounds eerily familiar!
                To be fair, I don't think all of us addressed vehicle usage in the SM expectations thread, so I think it's probably worth discussing.

Comment

What I think is funny is when the opposite happens. I watched 90% of our armor sit the entire round last night on the dam map. Presumably because people are afraid to spawn away from their squad. Lol

Comment

Vehicle usage could be tricky. In the old days we asked the SL who asked the CO. Then assets were assigned, usually for the remainder of the match. That is not practical here due to crazy fast vehicle respawn timers, easy access for other people to jump in, and no SOP for contacting the CO as yet. Definitely needs some thought.

As an aside I was repairing an AA the other day and a TGer jumped in and stole it. Oh how I laughed before bed that night! :D But these crazy antics are slowing down thankfully as the "Shiny new" is wearing off!

Comment

Originally posted by jeepo View Post
                      vehicle usage could be tricky. In PR we asked the sl who asked the co. Then assets were assigned, usually for the remainder of the match.
                      FTFY ;)

Originally posted by MDawg77 View Post
                      What I think is funny is when the opposite happens. I watched 90% of our armor sit the entire round last night on the dam map. Presumably because people are afraid to spawn away from their squad. Lol
                      Yeah exactly! How do we resolve this? How can we get those assets into the battle?

Comment

FTFY ;)
                        Sssssshhhhhh! ;)

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                        Yeah exactly! How do we resolve this? How can we get those assets into the battle?
                        This is the trick. While admirable that people don't want to spawn away from the squad there is a balance. Are people pushing their inf so they get their weapons and upgrades unlocked? Should there be dedicated asset squads or just as the situation develops?

I would love nothing more than to see armour stand off a town like the A and B flags on that map with the moving train (I have an issue with map names apparently). I would like to see them supported with an AA and supporting engineers and POUND the town, lock it off so those flags are a no go for the enemy. Maybe this idea is to "in the old days" for BF4 too! ;)

Comment

At risk of raising Arithea's past-title alarm: we did the same in 2142, especially in maps with high priority and fairly rare assets (e.g. walkers in infantry maps). Not being able to name a squad "armor" or whatever seems such a minor thing but actually has pretty big consequences (also, no Learn TG squads).

I'm actually feeling like the armor timers could be drastically lengthened and it would improve the experience by a lot, especially when it comes to air assets (but universally too). Right now, if I come in engineer to get rid of a helo that's been dogging my squad, i fire once -- flares go out -- i fire twice -- mobility crippled. Yay! Even if I get that kill though, that chopper is going to be back and dogging my squad again in a few minutes time.

Comment

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Zoraster again. :p

I do like the idea of asset squads and have already run asset denial squads, too. It'll be interesting to see if having a dedicated squad for asset control/asset denial is effective in BF4 (depending on map, etc., I'm sure). Given that the teams are 32 players each, that removes 15% of the team from the pool of people dedicated to capturing flags. The tradeoff is presumably in survivability of the people actually capturing the flags, so I wonder how much of an effect that would have.

Comment

1st MIP tried an anti armor squad on Golmud Railway last night. We got owned. After some initial success the enemy responded with three tanks and we were wiped out in short order. Lots of armor on that map and maybe we picked the wrong area to operate but I'm thinking some maps may promote this better than others.

To the original point--I usually lead infantry squads and I have no problem letting squad members know I need boots on the ground at X flag. If they don't comply after a couple of friendly reminders I'll just kick them from the squad. I like a mechanized infanty squad as well...IFV or MBT with 3 men on the ground. With a good tanker and engineer and some cohesiveness this can be a powerful combination.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed