Two Simple Steps for Better Squad Cohesion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Simple Steps for Better Squad Cohesion

Cohesion is the measure of how well your squad is working together as a team. If squad mates are able to almost instantly respond to a contact that you are engaging you have a highly cohesive team that delivers greater force ratios with each encounter. Cohesion here is a measure of your squad's ability to collectively engage the same target(s) in a near-simultaneous manner. High cohesion is not always the only goal for a squad, as other demands (strategies) may require other modes of teamwork.

In BF4 a simple two-step method for fostering cohesion begins with the squad leader appointing a fireteam leader (man on point).

(1) Designate a competent teamplayer (one who you know will respond to orders and not be reckless in his movements) as 'on point'.

(2) Instruct (with occasional repetition) the rest of the squad to ALWAYS move with the designated fireteam leader or point-man (looking for a universally recognized phrase here -- I usually just say "XXX is your team leader" or something to that effect).

The squad leader will then use Q to spot the general flag of operations and also provide more specific instructions to the fireteam leader ("defend/attack this entrance").

A little bit of repetition will make your expectations clear to the squad -- they are to always be with the fireteam leader.

As SL you may also instruct the FTL to move freely or be very specific with the placement of the FTL and the squad mates. This process allows the SL to engage in precise management of the squad's positioning while maintaining a very high level of situation awareness. When done correctly the SL will seldom see the squad completely wiped.

Crucial to this process is training your men to move out together after being killed. If two or more men are down, instruct them to wait on your position for each other to spawn in and only then move out. I usually make it clear that they are not to move out after respawning until ordered to do so by myself. This process ensures that your men are always moving together, never alone.

Keep in mind that I am not advocating this as the BEST method of squad organization. Different tactical situations and different styles of leadership must be used like a collection of tools in a tool kit.

I used this method last night with ToddShooter as my point man with great success.

I'll make a few videos demonstrating the method this weekend.
    sigpic

Re: Two Simple Steps for Better Squad Cohesion

I've found in the past that simply setting the expectation that your squad members stick with the SL has great success and doesn't require much repetition to reinforce. In fact, I feel like it's an expectation of any TG squad leader whose squad I join, and unless I'm told otherwise that's what I'll do.

Comment

I'm kinda with Audie Murphy on this one, he said “You lead from the front.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rageq3a View Post
        I'm kinda with Audie Murphy on this one, he said “You lead from the front.”
        As true (and noble) as this is, senior command elements are seldom deployed in the very front of a theatre of war, for some very obvious and strategic reasons.

As a SL in virtual warfare the individual squad leader usually combines aspects of senior and junior command roles. Leading from the front often (not always) sacrifices essential elements such as maintaining the spawn point under conditions of spawn-on-sl-only.

So I reject absolute claims about the superiority of leading from the front and see the optimal situation as more flexible and taking into account personal styles and limitations.

With my greatly reduced twitch speed I would be fool to lead from the front at all times. I usually lead from the front in the approach to enemy lines and then assume a secure position of overwatch. I put my best men forward to do what they do best.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
          I've found in the past that simply setting the expectation that your squad members stick with the SL has great success and doesn't require much repetition to reinforce. In fact, I feel like it's an expectation of any TG squad leader whose squad I join, and unless I'm told otherwise that's what I'll do.
          Especially now that the SL is now a Star on the minimap with the latest patch (not just the map map)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
            Especially now that the SL is now a Star on the minimap with the latest patch (not just the map map)
            And here I was thinking I was special! :(

Comment

You'll always be my special star.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
                Woot! I was really hoping they'd differentiate at some point. Makes life a lot easier.

Comment

Best way to keep your squad cohesive is them being alive.

I notice quite a bit of "CO ordered to take this flag - lets RUN towards it in a streight line while getting crossfired by armor, snipers and TG squads." A CO order is not a suicide command. Use your smarts, attackers are usually at a disadvantage in BF4.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyramion View Post

I notice quite a bit of "CO ordered to take this flag - lets RUN towards it in a streight line while getting crossfired by armor, snipers and TG squads." A CO order is not a suicide command. Use your smarts, attackers are usually at a disadvantage in BF4.
                    This is a good point and highlights an important aspect of the SLs role -- control over the approach to an objective.

The commander sets the primary objective, but the squad lead determines the tactical approach to achieving the objective. I think many long-term TGers understand this process and intuitively follow it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not hearing leading from the front is better, simply leading the front is my best way of squad leading. The beautiful thing is all squads can be led differently and as this game evolves at TG Squad leaders will have their devotee's. I'm in the same boat as E male. I see my best role as a squad leader as providing overwatch and a safe place to spawn from. This suits my play style and abilities. I'm not so good in CQG so I've decided to lead more squads. You can expect a defensive approach a majority of the time in my sqaud. I was playing all infantry but if some of your armor guys good at keeping yourself afloat sign on then two in the armor and three on the ground is my approach.

I've been away from home a good 9 days now and am itching to get back in it.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Leading from the front is definitely an approach but as stated it's simply one of many. It can be a mindset though, ie, setting the best example in terms of smart play, thoughtful tactical approach, applying the foot to the pedal when appropriate and displaying patience and control when necessary.

I try to adapt to the situation as SL, assess and then make a decision as to how I am going to lead my squad in that given moment. If the squad is getting caught up in a given location, potentially through no fault of their own, I may push on as a spearhead and get to an intermediate point on route to our next objective. This means the SL Spawn point is moving forward, our reinforcement point is moving in the right direction. Conversely when we reach our objective, dependent on geography/cover etc and number of defenders I may drift back through the squad and let them overtake me and then assume more of a command role where I spot targets, engage at range and direct the squad onto the objective, ie Dave hit the left, John put smoke up the middle and then push in, Pvt.Smith flank right to X point and hold.

Again this isn't prescriptive nor do I mean to imply it's the right way to do it. It's situational and dependent on many variables, effectively it's simply an approach, one tool in the box.

Comment

I just expect my squad to be behind me all the time. I do not allow for ticket wasting either. I want atleast 50% of make-able revives to be made. These are revives that are under no direct fire. If revives aren't being made, than the squad is not working as a cohesive unit and are thus bleeding tickets for our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyramion View Post

This is good advice. I personally prefer defending flags to attacking them, and all too often when I get ordered to attack a flag I respond with, "Well, CO want us to go die on this flag so we'd better go do it".

I should probably look at the order more objectively, and not just throw tickets at the flag in a pseudo-dice roll in hopes we end up with it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X