This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Clarification Question - RPG, rockets, etc vs infantry

What is the official stance on using Anti-Armor rockets on infantry? I was under the impression that in the past (and I assume for this title as well) this was frowned on if not outright disallowed as it is not the intended use of said weapon.

Now to clarify I understand that rockets are valuable for destroying cover and when being used for that purpose anyone behind and or near that cover is fair game. I also get the situation where you have your AT weapon out because you are approaching and enemy vehicle and you turn a corner and come face-to-face with an enemy and have no choice but fire or die, that's not what I'm referring to. What I am talking about is purposefully firing your AT rocket with no other intent other than killing an infantry, aka rocket sniping.

I have noticed quite of bit of this from non-TG and TG tagged players on the server, for example on the other night on a round of Dawn-Breaker my squad was capturing the B flag when I was hit by an RPG fired from the roof of the building between B and A, the player then proceeded to fire 3 more RPG's at my squad from the roof.

Can an Admin please clarify what is/is not allowed in relation to this?
    Last edited by Sargentkyle23; 11-20-2013, 07:53 PM.
    Proud to have been an Irregular!
    |TG-56th| S.Kyle23

Re: Rule Clarification Question.

While I am no admin, I believe that the rule is against suicide tactics, i.e. blowing yourself along with an enemy when firing an AT rocket. Suicide tactics aside, IMO, why shouldn't an RPG by used against infantry, the insurgents do it all the time?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sargentkyle23 View Post
      What is the official stance on using Anti-Armor rockets on infantry? I was under the impression that in the past (and I assume for this title as well) this was frowned on if not outright disallowed as it is not the intended use of said weapon.

Now to clarify I understand that rockets are valuable for destroying cover and when being used for that purpose anyone behind and or near that cover is fair game. I also get the situation where you have your AT weapon out because you are approaching and enemy vehicle and you turn a corner and come face-to-face with an enemy and have no choice but fire or die, that's not what I'm referring to. What I am talking about is purposefully firing your AT rocket with no other intent other than killing an infantry, aka rocket sniping.

I have noticed quite of bit of this from non-TG and TG tagged players on the server, for example on the other night on a round of Dawn-Breaker my squad was capturing the B flag when I was hit by an RPG fired from the roof of the building between B and A, the TG tagged player then proceeded to fire 3 more RPG's at my squad from the roof.

Can an Admin please clarify what is/is not allowed in relation to this?
      Every rocket in BF4 is described as either an AT, AV or AA weapon. Now my personal take, and it may be incorrect, is that AV/AT (which is every rocket except for AAs) can also have the dual purpose of being an AP rocket. A line could be crossed where someone was hopping around, Halo-style, trying to kill people at point-blank, but I do not believe that shooting any rocket from a distance, or "rocket sniping" as you call it, would be outside of intended use, as this is a scenario that could easily happen in real life.
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I was content to leave this for an actual admin... but "insurgents do it all the time" isn't really an aswer to a server rules question. Placing C4 on a jeep or other fast vehicle is clearly against TG practice, but would pass the above threshold.

The heart of the question is "intended use". IMHO The SMAW or SRAW are not meant to be used as anti-infantry weapons.
        The situation has a lot of context around it (intentional vs. emergency/surprise use), and probably doesn't lend itself to a nice clear rule along the lines of jihad jeep or bunny hopping.

-Z.

edit: ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks_Lead View Post
          the insurgents do it all the time?
          Within the context of the game, would it be done as standard operating procedure by the United States Marine Corps, People's Liberation Army, or Russian Army?

The answer is no.

While some anti-personnel rockets exist, I would counter that by stating that no AT weapon in BF4 has such rounds, and are all built and intended as anti-vehicle gadgets.

My opinion on Kyle's issue is to be semi-lenient. Isolated incidences of AT kills on infantry really aren't a big deal, and are to be expected to some extent. These weapons have application as Kyle has stated for blowing away cover, and surprise situations will occur.

That being said, repeated and obviously intentional use of AT against infantry should be brought to an admin's attention.

Peronsally, in TG Call of Duty we had a policy that explosive weapons such as RPGs and 40mm grenades were secondary, situational weapons and hunting for kills with those weapons was frowned upon. If you're running around with an RPG on your shoulder looking to shoot it at something, and if you fire it at infantry 2 times out of 3 I'm not going to have a favorable outlook on an individual based on that chain of events.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X