Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is mumble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is mumble?

    Originally posted by Grimmfist View Post
    Can someone please explain Mumble in a different thread so as not to derail this one. I am interested to know more about what it is and does versus TS and VOIP. More communication team wide= better team tactics!

    I don't think it takes a thread derail to answer this briefly. Mumble purportedly can use positional based communications. So if you're to the right of me and you talk, your voice will come out of my right speaker. If you have surround sound, it'll take advantage of that.

    That said, I'm not sure that it actually has proximity based communication. In other words, the hope is that if you use mumble and you say something like "Two infantry contacts northwest!" only the people in your immediate area would actually hear you. That way, you're not subjected to tons of superfluous across-the-map chatter. But that's not how I understand it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    The other issue is adoption of mumble.
    .

  • #2
    Re: What is mumble?

    Mumble has location/proximity voip, in other words you can speak to anyone on your team (or both teams dependent on server settings) in the local area. The distance can be set by user and or server. It also incorporates SL to SL radio simply by hitting the corresponding squad number key on your numpad. The sound quality is exceptional. It's one of the most complete voip solutions I have seen. At this time I don't know whether it works with BF4 but it did work with BF3, I am looking into that.


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is mumble?

      It worked well with PR as it was key to work with your fellow squads and with your commander. Mind you, the CO didn't always exist, so it was all about squads communicating with each other.



      Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

      "Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is mumble?

        The plug-in that made proximity voip work in BF3 is written and maintained (has to be updated every BF3 patch) by a 3rd party developer and is bundled with mumble. Lets hope they bring it to BF4.
        Shhhh I'm being made



        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is mumble?

          Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
          I don't think it takes a thread derail to answer this briefly. Mumble purportedly can use positional based communications. So if you're to the right of me and you talk, your voice will come out of my right speaker. If you have surround sound, it'll take advantage of that.

          That said, I'm not sure that it actually has proximity based communication. In other words, the hope is that if you use mumble and you say something like "Two infantry contacts northwest!" only the people in your immediate area would actually hear you. That way, you're not subjected to tons of superfluous across-the-map chatter. But that's not how I understand it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

          The other issue is adoption of mumble.
          Well on TS if you enable the 3D sound you can move people around you, further or closer...is a nice feature that i use on TS when a lot of people is talking. This could apply to that "Two infantry contacts northwest!" Zoraster is talking but since you guys only use TS to ask for admin or small chit chat voip takes away the purpose of 3D sound on TS...one big downside for me of the VOIP is that the volume is low for some pleople and is at max...any idea of how to increase it like with a wordpad or notepad?
          Saludos, marpla live from Argentina!

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is mumble?

            do it withthe regular settings. Lower game sound, max voip sound. I know the settings imply that the master sound should adjust voip, but it doesn't.

            My game sound is at 20% and VOIP at 100%
            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is mumble?

              Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
              do it withthe regular settings. Lower game sound, max voip sound. I know the settings imply that the master sound should adjust voip, but it doesn't.

              My game sound is at 20% and VOIP at 100%
              Will try Zor when i get home but ingame sound is very important for me, hear what is around me... when it works perfect gives me the advantage over the enemey on good day.
              Saludos, marpla live from Argentina!

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is mumble?

                right. but then you turn up your system's master sound/speaker sound to be higher.

                Think of it this way:

                You have VOIP sound at 5 and want it at 10. You have game sound at 10 and want it at 10. Reduce the game sound so it goes to 5. Now both VOIP and Game sound are half of what you would ideally want. Then raise the system sound so that both are at 10.
                .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is mumble?

                  Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                  Mumble has location/proximity voip, in other words you can speak to anyone on your team (or both teams dependent on server settings) in the local area. The distance can be set by user and or server. It also incorporates SL to SL radio simply by hitting the corresponding squad number key on your numpad. The sound quality is exceptional. It's one of the most complete voip solutions I have seen. At this time I don't know whether it works with BF4 but it did work with BF3, I am looking into that.
                  Ack, but I use the numpad to move! Guess I'll map all the channels to WASD. :)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is mumble?

                    Last night was the first time I've played. Does the in game VOIP apply an audio filter to make people sound more like they are using an actual radio in the field? Even with volume set right, I found it difficult to understand people. Nothing like with TS. Just wondering if it's the game, or if I need to change something in my settings.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What is mumble?

                      I think the sound system option can change that? If you have it set on war tapes it's going to sound bad.

                      Also, for people generally frustrated with having to load into a multiplayer game, you can use BF4 settings editor, which allows you to do it out of game (pretty much just a UI for changing the settings file): http://battlefield.realmware.co.uk/b...itor/downloads
                      .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What is mumble?

                        Mumble is TeamSpeak... with a lower adoption rate.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What is mumble?

                          Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
                          Mumble is TeamSpeak... with a lower adoption rate.
                          No it isnt lol.

                          Mumble has positional audio tied to your in game position. TS 3D audio is akin to a 5.1 speaker system where you assign a person to a speaker and can move it around. However it stays wherever you put it. Mumble has a lot of features that TS doesn't but it is more of a game specific voip solution as opposed to TS and its wider adoption in a multI purpose role. Mumble has less latency etc. TS is great too, just different.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What is mumble?

                            Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                            No it isnt lol.

                            Mumble has positional audio tied to your in game position. TS 3D audio is akin to a 5.1 speaker system where you assign a person to a speaker and can move it around. However it stays wherever you put it. Mumble has a lot of features that TS doesn't but it is more of a game specific voip solution as opposed to TS and its wider adoption in a multI purpose role. Mumble has less latency etc. TS is great too, just different.
                            So, mumble is TS with a lower adoption rate...but better. :p I loved mumble and was frustrated when TG used TS instead of mumble, especially considering how useful it was for PR.

                            Mumble is great, easy to use, and easy to set-up. There are no advantages of TS over it that I am aware of.
                            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What is mumble?

                              Thanks for the details, guys. I like the sound of Mumble over TS or VOIP. If I can talk on Mumble and my nearby squadmates hear me as well as any other team mates that's all good. And dedicated SL channels are cool, too. Thumbs up, Wicks, for looking into a Mumble setup.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X