Trolling in Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling in Chat

I'd Like to please ask our community members not to engage with non-community members in trolling in chat . if a non community member is being disrespectful or trolling chat let an admin know. If there is no admin on line post it in CaA forum. Theres no place for this kind of behavior from our regulars. Thx
    sigpic

Re: Trolling in Chat

I agree that trolling someone is wrong. Yet your request raises the question of how to judge differentiated speech: a playful reply to a troll, a humorous remark to a foolish or childish comment, and so on.

It strikes me as highly restrictive of speech and expression if we are not allowed to reply to foolishness in chat.

Furthermore, chat is a casual communication channel, not meant for vital comms, an outlet for offhand remarks not appropriate in TS and so on (no swearing, of course). So such use of chat to put a troll in his place seems to me to be a harmless affair.

What is the purpose of restricting chat replies to fools by Admins only?

I will abide by your request not to respond to trolls in chat but I think that this is unduly restrictive.
    sigpic

Comment

We just don't need to be feeding the trolls is all. If someone is gloating or trolling, don't give them the satisfaction of getting a response from you. All it does is open it up for more from this person, and keeps them entertained. No body wants to hear from the l33t haxorz sniper who just got a kill, or got killed and feels the need to call hacks on you every time.

I'm sure Al isn't trying to restrict your right to freedom of speech lol. Just trying to keep the chat clean and mature.
      |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

I agree that it is not a freedom of speech issue (TG servers are not really public spaces). I also agree that the TG community and the admins have the right and the responsibility to set the terms of conversation and interaction.

I understand the necessity of not feeding trolls, but we need to keep in mind that once it is clear that a troll (and not simply a fool or a senseless child) is in our midst, they will be promptly removed. This raises the question of why restrict our interaction with the troll when it is clear to all that he will be very quickly shown the door.

Feeding a troll only has consequences when a troll cannot be removed from a community.

I do not want to over complicate the issue, and I am certainly not going to turn this thread into a long and pointless debate over the issue.

Clean and mature chat is not mutually exclusive of calling out a fool, chiding a child to smarten up, or toying with a troll in the few moments before he is duly kicked.
        sigpic

Comment

Corp has the right idea here. Trolling (to me) is continued complaints, disrespect and offensive statements, and in general primarily typed to get a response or yell "hey look at me". You want to ask someone to stop, lighten up, or cut the chatter fine, but please don't get into a back-and-forth argument with some random player in chat. It's distracting, there is no winner, and game chat is as you state is "a casual communication channel" and as such should be used primarily for communication about the specific round you are playing. BF4 at TG has a large Admin Team and generally a few of us are around to help deal with problems, allowing you to play the game.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
          I agree that trolling someone is wrong. Yet your request raises the question of how to judge differentiated speech: a playful reply to a troll, a humorous remark to a foolish or childish comment, and so on.

It strikes me as highly restrictive of speech and expression if we are not allowed to reply to foolishness in chat.
          This was merely a statement / request from an Admin. Can we please not turn it into an 8 page academic discussion about the merits of differentiated speech and its place in society, or how we can pick the original post apart to try to understand Lunn's thought process? It's pretty simple.....
          |TG-6th|FYAH29
          "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

Context matters. Say someone runs a jihad jeep, and is told we do not allow that. Let's now split the scenario into two responses.

Response 1. " LOL QQ more you *redacted* little *redacted. L2P the game and quit crying because you can't hang with my awesomeness"

Response 2 "You don't allow jihad jeeps? Why?"

Response 1 is a troll, Response 2 is a genuine question, because it is an uncommon rule that we have. So something more along the line of Response 2 can be responded to in mature fashion. But not engaged in debate, debates are for forums.

Comment

Originally posted by FYAH29 View Post
              . . .

This was merely a statement / request from an Admin. Can we please not turn it into an 8 page academic discussion about the merits of differentiated speech and its place in society, or how we can pick the original post apart to try to understand Lunn's thought process? It's pretty simple.....
              Hey, I am simply trying to understand the reasoning, gain insight into the values of the community, and do what I think is the prerogative and responsibility of all members -- actively participate in the shaping of TG values.

Responding to my polite, reasoned, and entirely reasonable request for clarification and discussion of the issue in the above manner is, IMO, rather harsh and demeaning.

My point is that this is not as simple as it may appear and as such the issue might merit a brief discussion.

Are we that delicate a community that we cannot engage in reasoned and reasonable dialogue without going for the juggler?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                My point is that this is not as simple as it may appear and as such the issue might merit a brief discussion.

Are we that delicate a community that we cannot engage in reasoned and reasonable dialogue without going for the juggler?
                Original request seemed pretty simple and reasonable to me...
                |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Originally posted by CorpDuty View Post
                  It is simple..... Not sure what's hard to understand or interpret here. Take it at face value and try not to read to deeply into a basic request.
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Its pretty straightforward as people have said. An Admin has asked that members do not engage people who are trolling on the server. It just exacerbates the chat spam and contributes to the problems the Admin has to deal with as others then counter respond to your response to the troll.

It doesn't paint a picture of a very mature community either if people are rising to the bait. Its somewhat hypocritical too isn't it? One person should be removed because they are potentially being rude and disrupting gameplay but its fine for a TG member to indulge themselves because a) the Admin will remove the Troll , and b) the TG respondent wishes to amuse themselves.

Sorry, that doesn't fly.

Comment

I would suggest that [MENTION=25691]CorpDuty[/MENTION], [MENTION=14954]Britt[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14281]FYAH29[/MENTION] have expanded on Lunn's original request to answer most questions that would come up.......

If you have a scenario that hasn't been covered yet, ask away or find and Admin in TS and get your questions answered first hand.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CorpDuty View Post
                        It is simple..... Not sure what's hard to understand or interpret here. Take it at face value and try not to read to deeply into a basic request.
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Hmmmm, does Gunney Troll when I'm smack talking enemies on the other side like "Die E-Male!" or "Coming for those tags, Dredge!"

Comment

Yes Gunney. It's trolling because you will never get my tags lol. Seriously though, I do enjoy the occasional "thanks for the tags" or my obligatory " hi *playername*" after I kill a friend. I hope that's not too much. But in regards of the trolls, I have to agree. I know sometimes I like to hit the chat box hard when talking to players about rules etc. I try very hard to keep it simple and to the point "can't do that, no name calling, if you don't like the rules you are free to leave, etc". I try not to feed the trolls. But I for one will make a more conscious effort to keep my chat down.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Gunney, Dredge, see, here is where the hypocrisy creeps back in, one rule for people you know, one for people you don't.

General rule of thumb, keep the 'thanks for the tags' nonsense to yourselves. The "Hi there" stuff, yup, again, keep it to yourselves. It makes the person doing it and this Community look stupid when the next thing that person does is then report someone they don't know for essentially doing the same. The people watching these comments don't know certain people know each other. In addition they must also wonder why it's ok for X person to make another tiresome remark in chat, but not them.

I know it's all meant in jest but we don't have a two tier rule system here and we do have a basic requirement for maturity and not disrupting gameplay. Lets concentrate on raising the standard of play, not this playground stuff.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X