My AAR from last nights games...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AAR from last nights games...

Hello TG'ers... after a long absence I'm back gaming with you guys. I played for the first time last night, (besides the commander role), with you guys on the TG server... It was ugly, this is not me bitchin or complaining, if that's how TG wants the gameplay, then it's your rights but some things I noticed last night, maybe I mis-understood the rules, or saw something I didn't see the big picture in... that's why this open post/discussion.

First off, and I don't know how we can enforce it, but I did mention it in game last night, I saw a lot of Non-TG members on the server, camping main bases, and sniping everyone who spawned in, when we had no where else to spawn, I saw the jeep loaded with C4 suicidal vehicles, and many times did I see a helicopter fly over and the pilot bail, crashing a perfectly good chopper, I also saw a few tanks race to an objective then be abandoned... I know these are against TG server rules, and really not sure how to police it.

I also played I think 4 or 5 matches and joined members of TG squads, we lost every match and why... IMO... because we spent more time getting together and organizing then fighting, we were not very aggressive at all, we concentrated on one, maybe 2 capture points, meanwhile all the others left in enemy hands. (and I know as a commander this drives me nuts, because the more capture points we control, the more tools the commander has). and then the squad spawn rule, I followed instructions and spawned on squad members as much as possible, and more then half the time it ended and me getting killed before getting orientated, most of the time by snipers on the sides or up high.

and then the lack of mini-map and all... sure I love the more realistic play, but the server settings have taken away all the tools members and squads use to work together and be efficient. Sure I like the lower damage till death threshold, and the in game spot arrows being gone, but IMO a mini-map and a compass is imperative for squad teamwork and communications.

Last night was NOT fun for me, I love playing with TG members...but not liking the server settings/rules right now... not demanding a change or anything.. just saying.

and one final thought, which I know why we DON'T do it at TG but... I prefer these PC maps with 32 to 48 max players, gives room for maneuvers and basic tactics, right now...with most of these maps being so small... it's all close quarters call of duty gameplay.

IMO, and just posting for discussion.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: My AAR from last nights games...

I've not experienced any UCB camping as it really is quite easily enforced. If they're on your team, report them or call out in ts that there might be a sniper or vehicle camping main. If your getting killed in the UCB, report it.

Another thing we can all do and should all be doing is policing our own squads. If one of your members is not following orders and is camping the UCB, or c4 Jeep or bunny hopping or any other violation of server rules, let them know. Just a friendly reminder in squad chat or voip, let them know we don't allow that type of game play, give them a chance to see what TG is about. If they don't agree or don't listen, hand it off to the admins.

As far losing because of spending to much time organizing, I'd rather lose being in a squad who was trying to organize and work together then win by run and gun lone-wolfing. There are many different ways to be effective as a squad, and kudos to those trying to slow the game down and get that squad working. We need to be seeing more of that, and eventually once we learn that style of SLing, those squads will be the dominate force on the battlefield.

Many of us are still trying to figure out how best to represent TG in this game, and it will take some work for us to master it, but we'll get there.
    |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Hey Magnum -

One thing I'd recommend (if you aren't there already) is hop in teamspeak! Many times our admins are in one of the BF4 channels, and can quickly react if you see someone breaking the rules. If there are none available I'd recommend writing down the offending player's name and post it in the BF4 Contact an Admin forum. That way you can help the admins pinpoint exactly who is causing any issues and they can react appropriately.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Like Magnum50 last night was my first time on the TG server for BF4 as well, and like Magnum50 I did not find it an enjoyable experience.

General disclaimer that the views in the post are solely those of myself and I acknowledge others will not agree with them...

Although there are various minor things I wasn't crazy about, the reasons why I didn't enjoy myself really came down to 2 issues for me. The main issue is the lack of mini-map. I found it detrimental to my ability to stay with, co-ordinate, and contribute to my squad. I've been following the pro's and con's listed in previous threads to not having it and I just don't see any benefits to squad/team co-ordination or teamplay that outweigh the negatives. The realism argument for eliminating it holds no weight for me; I don't play BF4 because its realistic, I play because its a game and I want to have fun with it. Generally in the past I always have more fun on a TG server over any other server; however, with the mini-map gone I enjoy the game so much less that I'd rather play on another server with it, then on a TG server without it.

The second issue is a tough nut to crack and to be fair I think its a problem with BF4 in general rather than TG. I think the armor asset balance is off. They are either too numerous, or they are too strong, to me it should be one or the other, not both. Unfortunately I can't give much advice on how to fix this. To my knowledge the only available tool to address this is spawn timing and when you increase it too much you run into issues were a single pub wasting a tank or helo handicaps the team in a very unfun and unfair way. It would be nice if the current balance between the impact of a match between armor/infantry strength was tipped a little closer to the infantry side then it is currently is. If memory serves I believe the settings is currently at 120% for vehicle spawn, I might advocate an increase to 180% or even 240%.

Comment

May I add something regarding the minimap that has not been mentioned in the general server settings thread so far, as far as I know? Firstly, I also find the lack of the minimap horrible and it really spoils the fun for me. The additional lack of the compass is even worse. Unfortunately Dice was not clever enough to separate these too. Oh well, them doing silly things is nothing new... However, it does not matter whether I or whoever likes or dislikes the lack of minimap+compass. What does matter are factual arguments. Here is mine:

Some of you might know the shacktac fireteam hud for ArmA. It compensates for the lack of senses that you can use in the real world but not in the game (therefore it is actually more realistic to have it than not to...). The minimap in BF does the same (among other things) and thus not having it cripples you as it takes away what compensates for the lack of senses that you would be able to use IRL. When running with my squad I often go last and check our back. When I have the minimap I don't have to turn around every few seconds to check whether I am still in formation. When I don't have the minimap I do need to do exactly that, which really impedes me in doing what I am supposed to do - watch our back. IRL I would be able to exactly locate my squad members by hearing them. This "audo-location" does not work sufficiently well ingame to be used as it would be IRL. Thus the minimap is required to compensate.

Comment

Unfortunately guys some of the changes you are advocating, even if agreed upon, are not possible whilst remaining ranked. You cannot increase armour spawn delay past 125% on a ranked server. You cannot have the minimap (with the compass and squad cohesion it can facillitate) and the minimap/pacman spotting off on a ranked server, the setting does not exist. You can do both on an unranked server, hence our desire to go Unranked/Unlocked at the earliest opportunity. Unfortunately at present, Unranked/Unlocked doesn't work correctly. Whilst all weapons and equipment is unlocked and you get much more of a free hand with most settings, the attachments are not unlocked for the weapons. Hence we haven't shifted to Unranked yet and are stuck with these limitations.

Much of this has been explained multiple times. We test settings regularly and make decisions based on what, on balance, provides us with the closest approximation of the gameplay we are striving for.

Comment

Then I'd rather just go normal, IMO...

I think the goal should be "Win while using tactics and teamwork".

Looking at my games last night, he'll... I only got 2 to 6 kills per match because I was too busy spawning on my squad leader, waiting for us to organize, then getting sniped while waiting... lol.

Again JMO, was just meant to talk about it.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I was just giving my honest impressions of my experience. I was going to place it in the server tweaks post but I decided to post it here instead since it appeared me and Magnum50 had a similar experience.

Just to clarify, I didn't make the post because I expected any changes. Rationally I know there are lots of reasons why nothing will be changed; I could be in the minority, or it could be out of the admin's hands, or it does not align with gameplay you are striving for, etc, etc. To be blunt, all of that is out of my hands so it really doesn't concern me. I made the post because I assumed honest feedback on the current settings would be welcome to give the admins information and what is and isn't available to be adjusted on a ranked server doesn't change the experience I had last night and my impressions from it. What is done with this information is up to others.

Comment

Fully understood Specter, just wanted to let people know what is and isn't possible at any given time. The new patch does alter some variables, including Armour spawn delay so I'm looking forward to taking a look tonight and seeing what's been affected and how. If we can make any significant changes for the better I'll post about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Magnum50, I try not to SL. But , it seems I keep getting the job. If you see my squad, give it a try. From what my squad tells me, you will probably get a lot more action than you say you saw. Bring your Nike combat boots !
                    sigpic
                    *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X