Fear of placing claymores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of placing claymores

I have come to notice that I fear placing my claymores.
    I will put one down and then go and pick it back up because I will get team kills by using it reguardless of how well it is placed.

Claymores are a essential defense item and due to lack of comes and the spotting of friendly claymores for team players, players are not using them very often.

What is the rule for this situation on our server ?

Since there is no way to let your entire team know where you have placed defensive claymores, I feel this greatly affects their use.

Should you be punished for using them when they cause TK's ?
    Is this not the fault of the claymoreas not being spotted ?
    I know that if I start to use them as I have always done in the past BF games that I will get lots of TKs. (Booooooo ! )

Any opinions and clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Right now it is Very tough for me to use claymores in a defensive situation.

Sincerely Desode
    Gamertag 360= DESODE

Re: Fear of placing claymores

I don't think there's a rule against it, but unless very precisely laid, you're pretty likely to get some team kills.

Generally speaking, I blame the claymore placer, not the infantry who runs over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
      I don't think there's a rule against it, but unless very precisely laid, you're pretty likely to get some team kills.

Generally speaking, I blame the claymore placer, not the infantry who runs over them.
      I can agree with that to a certain degree, However if I take a flag and then place claymores to defend it how should I be held responsible for a team mate running over it.
      The best I can do is notify my squad or type it on my team chat.

I don't remember it being this way in other BF games. Even on HC setting the claymores were always spotted for team mates.

I challenge everyone to play 1 entire day on our server and place your claymores in the Very Best defensive manner you can and then see how many TK's you get.
      It's a troubling thing.
      At the Very least claymores should appear on the main map for your team mates.
      Does anyone know if that is the case ?
      Or can I place a claymore and then spot it and it will remain spotted on the main map ?

If that is or was the case then would not it be the responsibility of your team to watch for them ?
      Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

yeah. tough to use claymores with FF on, really. Truthfully, pretty tough to be a non-sniping recon on TG at the moment. MAV+C4 is interesting, radio beacon+C4... in a team with a laser pointer combined with laser guided missiles or engy weapons... but these are fairly limited. Frankly, I'm more bothered by our settings' effect on TUGs and Motion sensors than I am Claymores.

Comment

Not only a fear of placing claymores but of anti vehicle mines as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've disabled friendly vehicles and or team kill.

My vote would be for mines of all types to be ff off - but I don't know if that is possible on the server?
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
          - Check me out on The Onion
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Like TFKD said, this exact same situation applies to mines.

Personally, I avoid using both of them when FF is on and the minimap is off, because you're just guaranteed to get TKs with it no matter what.

However, if we're going to play the theoretical "whose fault is it?" game, I think it really just depends on where the mines/claymores are placed.

By default, I think the repercussions are actually pretty appropriate: the person who put the mine down deserves a TK for putting it in a bad location, and the person who ran over it deserves the death for not watching where they were going. However, the "blame line" kinda shifts depending on how deep into enemy territory you are.

When I'm deep in enemy territory, it is my own responsibility to turn on thermal and look for mines at all times. On the other hand, if I spawn into the LAV at F on Zavod 311 and then immediately trip a SLAM on the way to E, I can't help but feel like the person who put down those mines is some sort of moron trying to kill his teammates.

I guess the rule of thumb that I normally use is that you should never have any sort of traps laid in friendly territory. If you advance on an enemy flag, drop some mines, and then the flag is captured, it is your responsibility to go disarm the traps before friendlies show up and start running around all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by fex View Post
              Like TFKD said, this exact same situation applies to mines.

Personally, I avoid using both of them when FF is on and the minimap is off, because you're just guaranteed to get TKs with it no matter what.

However, if we're going to play the theoretical "whose fault is it?" game, I think it really just depends on where the mines/claymores are placed.

By default, I think the repercussions are actually pretty appropriate: the person who put the mine down deserves a TK for putting it in a bad location, and the person who ran over it deserves the death for not watching where they were going. However, the "blame line" kinda shifts depending on how deep into enemy territory you are.

When I'm deep in enemy territory, it is my own responsibility to turn on thermal and look for mines at all times. On the other hand, if I spawn into the LAV at F on Zavod 311 and then immediately trip a SLAM on the way to E, I can't help but feel like the person who put down those mines is some sort of moron trying to kill his teammates.

I guess the rule of thumb that I normally use is that you should never have any sort of traps laid in friendly territory. If you advance on an enemy flag, drop some mines, and then the flag is captured, it is your responsibility to go disarm the traps before friendlies show up and start running around all over the place.
              I can agree with that Fex. I do however feel that there is a difference between mines and Claymores simply because mines are a buried device and the claymore is not.
              With that said, I can see your point on the mines in your team's half of the map and the difference of them being placed in deep enemy territory.

I will have to try placing one and then spotting it on the map and see if it stays on the main map ???

Would you agree that if this was the case^^^^ then the Tk's should not fall on the person placing the device ?
              Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

The claymores are visible on both the main map and the mini map. It can easily be put down and squad told there is one around so they don't trip it. I was playing this morning with a squad and told them I set one under the Flood Zone tunnel at E flag. The claymore survived for ten minutes and was not unintentionally set off until I stood near it and a medic threw a med pack next to me and set it off. No one was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                  The claymores are visible on both the main map and the mini map. It can easily be put down and squad told there is one around so they don't trip it. I was playing this morning with a squad and told them I set one under the Flood Zone tunnel at E flag. The claymore survived for ten minutes and was not unintentionally set off until I stood near it and a medic threw a med pack next to me and set it off. No one was hurt.
                  Great News OldGunney !

Did you have to spot it or did it just appear on the main map ? (Since TG has no Mini)
                  Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

It just shows up as a four pointed Blue square thing, main and mini map. You don't have to spot it. Don't know if enemy claymore shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                      It just shows up as a four pointed Blue square thing, main and mini map. You don't have to spot it. Don't know if enemy claymore shows up.
                      Ok Thanks OldGunney,, So whats that do to peoples opinions on responsibilty for the person placing the claymore ?

Should not the TK become the fault of anyone not checking the map when moving into a position ?
                      Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

One more reason to turn the mini map back on but I'll leave that for another thread.

@ FEX, I'd agree, my only caveat is that mines are used primarily (for my purposes anyway) as a defensive strategy and removing from a friendly flag takes away that.

I'm on the fence on this one as I'd like the FF for mines taken off but can see the argument for it.

I'd like to see a setting that if you trip the claymore or mine on ff than you are penalized for it and not the one who set it in place.
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                        - Check me out on The Onion
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                          One more reason to turn the mini map back on but I'll leave that for another thread.

@ FEX, I'd agree, my only caveat is that mines are used primarily (for my purposes anyway) as a defensive strategy and removing from a friendly flag takes away that.

I'm on the fence on this one as I'd like the FF for mines taken off but can see the argument for it.

I'd like to see a setting that if you trip the claymore or mine on ff than you are penalized for it and not the one who set it in place.
                          Good point,,
                          With the knowledge of now knowing that these devices are being shown on the main map , I lean towards your "setting that if you trip the claymore or mine on ff than you are penalized for it and not the one who set it in place."
                          Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

I'm not sure blame is really needed. Think of it this way. That friendly claymore they just triggered could have been an enemy claymore with zero warning. They would be just as dead and it would be a bit more their fault. Just use some common sense on either end. Look for claymores, they are in the game placed by friendlies and enemies and they can both kill you. When placing them consider the type of traffic that will be traversing the area. If lots of friendlies and few enemies maybe don't use one OR pick it up disarm it when you move.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                              I'm not sure blame is really needed. Think of it this way. That friendly claymore they just triggered could have been an enemy claymore with zero warning. They would be just as dead and it would be a bit more their fault. Just use some common sense on either end. Look for claymores, they are in the game placed by friendlies and enemies and they can both kill you. When placing them consider the type of traffic that will be traversing the area. If lots of friendlies and few enemies maybe don't use one OR pick it up disarm it when you move.
                              I do try to do that.
                              It still worries me though, because I can't stand the thought of team killing one of my own.
                              I'm not worried about my squad,,, I of course always let them know where I place my claymores. I'm a Very informative player especially when playing SL.

I will say that knowing that they do appear on the main map no gives me some comfort. LOL
                              Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X