Dorito Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorito Clarification

I keep seeing this posted and it bothers me. When people say Dorito do they mean 3D spotting or minimap spotting?

The things TG turns off are:

1) 3D Spotting
    2) Minimap

You are still autospotted on the large map (default "M" key) when you fire without a suppressor and you will be spotted by all the usual devices.

So are people who like that "doritos are turned off" really in favor of the lack of 3D spotting alone or are they referring to a lack of minimap requiring an extra button push to get to 2d spotting?

Re: Dorito Clarification

For me personally, I have a real issue with cheap 3d spotting. Mini map I prefer off because again, live spotting. If I could have mini map on and no spotting appearing on it, for me personally, that would be ideal.

Comment

For me it's Both, If a Dorito is there be it on 3d spotting or mini map it shows even what direction you are facing.

Dorito is a term that describes the triangle that represents you or another player.
      Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

Originally posted by Desode View Post
        For me it's Both, If a Dorito is there be it on 3d spotting or mini map it shows even what direction you are facing.

Dorito is a term that describes the triangle that represents you or another player.
        Understood the chip term, just not what people were talking about when they said Dorito spotting is off. 2D isn't off as long when you bring up the big map.

I get the preferences. I would prefer no auto spotting and only enemies showing up when recon devices are used or people manually spot. Nevertheless, with the choices in BF4, it is clear the game was designed around minimap on (look at the perk trees). I think forcing people to hit M is just forcing poor play since it is too powerful a tool not to use.

When I set down a tugs, I tell my squad in chat now to check their maps. Not having a minimap just makes people think they are invulnerable to this and gives people like me and my squad a weird advantage.

Think about it this way. If you run prox in the gunners seat of a tank and you just read the scans out to your driver, he will likely do far better than if you try to swivel around 360. You will see someone approaching from behind well in advance. It is just a matter of opening the big map and using your mic to get a huge advantage.

My confusion is why people think Dorito spotting is off right now. If it is just the 3d then that is a different setting altogether than minimap.

Comment

I think most are talking about the floating dorito's over peoples heads telling you exactly where they are without having to look at the map. Takes the fun out of clearing areas because you can see exactly where everyone is. Thats just what I think. I could be (read probably am) wrong though.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Then can we stop referring to the minimap as "Doritos"? It's maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
              Then can we stop referring to the minimap as "Doritos"? It's maddening.
              It's an easy and appropriate way for me to specifically reference forms of spotting that aren't restricted to the actual map.
              Un Equipo de Trabajo Para Bien de Todos

Comment

Are you saying that you don't use the word pejoratively?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
                  Are you saying that you don't use the word pejoratively?
                  Pejorative to the doritos, perhaps. At the end of the day it's a utilitarian term and a part of my lexicon.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                    It's an easy and appropriate way for me to specifically reference forms of spotting that aren't restricted to the actual map.
                    Except is has pretty much always referred to the 3d spotting only, not the minimap spotting. If someone told me "dorito spotting is off on this server" i'd assume that 3d spotting was off and minimap spotting was on.
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                      Except is has pretty much always referred to the 3d spotting only, not the minimap spotting. If someone told me "dorito spotting is off on this server" i'd assume that 3d spotting was off and minimap spotting was on.
                      That's not been my experience. I've used the term(and seen it used) to reference the presence of those colorful icons constantly on my screen(on players or the minimap) via a device other than me placing my crosshairs over them(assuming they're friendly). But regardless, then I suppose it's an easy and appropriate way for me to specifically reference (3d spotting) .

Spotting and the MINIMAP(as opposed to the map) are a separate issue, are they not?

Comment

I've also only heard the term "dorito" used to describe 3D spotting, but I can see why it could be used for map spotting, too, since it's the same symbol in both places.

Comment

Spotting and the MINIMAP(as opposed to the map) are a separate issue, are they not?
                          That is actually 3 issues:

1) 2d Spotting
                          2) 3d Spotting
                          3) Minimap

With no minimap you still have 2d spotting on the large map.

That is why it is so confusing for people to use this phrase when discussing the server settings.

Comment

Doritos are addictive but not very good for you.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

That's not been my experience. I've used the term(and seen it used) to reference the presence of those colorful icons constantly on my screen(on players or the minimap) via a device other than me placing my crosshairs over them(assuming they're friendly). But regardless, then I suppose it's an easy and appropriate way for me to specifically reference (3d spotting) .

The Main Map is Different for me , because you can't use it in real time while walking up on someone knowing exactly which way they are facing. The Main Map covers the entire screen and that stops people from doing that.

That to me is what seperates 3d spotting, Mini Map and the Main Map.
                              When I say Dorito system, I am always refering to the spotting system that is visible for the player at all times while moving around.
                              Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X