Staff Shell reload bug allowed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staff Shell reload bug allowed?

I'd like to ask if this isn't considered an exploit whose utilisation is prohibited on the TG server.

What is it about?

Equipping an MBT with Staff Shell as secondary weapon can lead to a considerably shorter reload time of the primary weapon under certain conditions.
    It is shown in this video at 1:08 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QV4bCBQ-vk

Normal reload times:
    AP (shoot) → ~4s (reload) → Canister → ~4s → AP

With Staff Shell (bug):
    AP → ~4s → Staff → ~1s !!! → AP

The other way around (no bug):
    Staff → ~4s → AP → ~4s → Staff

I thought this would clearly be an exploit that provides an unfair advantage. But as I saw a Battlefield Admin using it, I am unconfident now.
    Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Re: Staff Shell reload bug allowed?

Its not really an exploit. When you fire your main shell, it has 4 seconds to reload. You switch over to staff shells, you have to wait 2-3 seconds before it fires (all the while your AP/HE shell is reloading) By the time you fire the staff, your primary is reloaded. Same thing with missiles on jets and helicopters. Just because you switch to a different weapon doesn't mean the first one stops loading. Its why MAA can do so much damage. They fire 2 rockets, switch to the gun, put several bursts onto the jet/helo, switch back to missiles because they are reloaded. Same principle.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

It doesn't make sense intuitively or logically. Good players will avoid using anyways as it is most likely an over site on the developers part. Players should avoid exploiting it as it is much the same as reload animations on handheld weapons being shortened by switching.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
        Its not really an exploit. When you fire your main shell, it has 4 seconds to reload. You switch over to staff shells, you have to wait 2-3 seconds before it fires (all the while your AP/HE shell is reloading) By the time you fire the staff, your primary is reloaded. Same thing with missiles on jets and helicopters. Just because you switch to a different weapon doesn't mean the first one stops loading. Its why MAA can do so much damage. They fire 2 rockets, switch to the gun, put several bursts onto the jet/helo, switch back to missiles because they are reloaded. Same principle.
        The MAA/boat/APC rockets all fire their primaries and secondaries from different sources. The MBT fires shells from the main gun regardless, and so having a special round (STAFF) shouldn't speed up the reload of the standard rounds. That is, unless the STAFF somehow fires from somewhere else, because I've literally never used the thing once I got Sabot and the HMG unlocked.
        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
          The MAA/boat/APC rockets all fire their primaries and secondaries from different sources
          Button 1 and Button 2. Same with the tank. The way it is setup it is firing from 2 different sources. Maybe its an oversight, maybe not. I will make sure I don't do it and warn players that do. But that seems like it will be very hard to stop people from doing. If you see it report it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is only possible with the staff shell.

If you equip a guided shell for example, the reload is shared between primary and secondary weapon. You cannot fire your primary, then fire a guided shell and fire your primary again without waiting for the full reload every time.

As you can see in the video, the staff shell cannot immediately be fired when you switch to it, even though it has never been used. If this bug was the actual design, the way it would work is:

Primary -> Secondary -> 3s -> Primary

not

Primary -> 3s -> Secondary -> Primary

Comment

I agree that this is most likely a bug and not a feature (since canister shell had the same problem until it was fixed in BF3). However, like Dredge said, this one could be really difficult to actually penalize people for, unless we just straight up ban staff shell from the server. Pretty much anyone who uses staff shell is eventually going to do this, intentionally or by mistake.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, guys!
                I am glad I don't have to change my loadout just to hold up against opposing tanks.
                If community members don't utilise the bug I think it's half the battle. Let's hope DICE will fix this like they did with the similar bug in BF3.

Comment

So I tried the staff shell out tonight. You can switch the primary/secondary so quickly that it just plain has to be a bug. Sorry to involve you in my test jb4 :)

Additionally, I was on the receiving end of a staff shell (full credit to FEX); our tank was destroyed way quicker than it could have been by any other weapon.

IMO, anyone aware of this issue should simply NOT use the staff shell until it is fixed.

Comment

Its not the staff shell. You can still use it, just dont switch back to your primary for a quick follow up shot. If you do switch, wait a few seconds before you fire. just my 2 cents.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X