Am I allowed to ___________________?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I allowed to ___________________?

The other thread was locked before I could get to it, but I really liked Magnum's idea about having a single thread with simple YES/NO answers to common rule clarifications. No sarcasm, no bickering - just straight up YES/NO answers.

So here we go. If anyone has other questions for the list, feel free to respond. I'll update this post as we go. I've filled in a few of them that I already know.

Some questions are repeated in multiple categories, for easier reference.

Am I allowed to...

RPGs and Explosives
    • Use an RPG (or similar weapon) to kill infantry that are running around: NO
    • Use an RPG (or similar weapon) to kill infantry hiding in a bunker, behind destructible cover, or in a destructable building: YES
    • Lay down C4 traps at strategic locations to kill infantry: ???
    • Actively run around with C4 trying to kill people with it: NO
    • Run up to a vehicle, place C4 on it, then immediately pull the trigger, killing myself and the vehicle: NO
    • Run up to a vehicle, place C4 on it, run to a safe distance, then pull the trigger: YES
    • Place C4 on my own vehicle, drive it up to an enemy vehicle, then pull the trigger, even if I am a safe distance from the explosion: NO
    • Fire a launcher at enemy infantry that are too far away to engage with small arms fire: ???
    • Fire a launcher at enemy armor for the purpose of using the splash damage to kill enemy engineers repairing the tank: YES
    • Use SMAWs, C4, grenade launchers, etc. against air vehicles: YES
    • Fire an explosive weapon at a nearby enemy who surprises me by coming around a corner when I'm trying to use it against a valid target: YES

Vehicles
    • Run over an enemy to kill them if they get close enough: YES
    • Drive a vehicle around with the primary goal of hunting down people and running them over: NO
    • Use the MAA to kill infantry that have opened fire on me, are pointing an RPG at me, or are approaching me with C4 / mines: YES
    • Use the MAA to kill infantry that are dangerously close to me / looking at me, but have not attacked me yet: ???
    • Use the MAA to kill infantry that are far away from me, minding their own business, posing no threat to me: NO
    • Use the MAA to kill midair infantry (i.e. parachuting from a spawn beacon, falling from a destroyed air vehicle, or paradropping from a spawn point / AC-130): ???
    • Move the MAA from a safe spawn location to a more dangerous / infantry-heavy location, like a nearby flag (i.e. points A and E on Lancang Dam): ???
    • Get in an MAA that spawns at a dangerous / infantry-heavy location (i.e. point C on Rogue Transmission), and fight my way out to a safer / more useful location: ???
    • Get in an MAA that spawns at a dangerous / infantry-heavy location (i.e. point C on Hainan Resort), and stay there: ???
    • Switch out of the pilot seat of a flying vehicle in midair to repair, fire an RPG / stinger, or use the vehicles's secondary weapons: NO
    • Switch out of the pilot seat of a flying vehicle that has landed to repair, fire an RPG / stinger, or use the vehicle's secondary weapons: YES
    • Place C4 on my own vehicle, drive it next to an enemy vehicle, then pull the trigger: NO
    • In an MBT, switch between the staff shell and the main gun in order to use both weapons as soon as they are ready: NO - We suspect that this is a bug, not a feature, and players should try to avoid doing it.
    • Eject from a vehicle midair, fire a weapon, then re-enter the vehicle midair (a.k.a. rendezook): NO
    • Eject from a vehicle midair that is about to be destroyed, then fire a weapon while parachuting: ???
    • Switch between non-pilot seats in a flying vehicle (for instance, switching between the minigun and the repair seat in a transport chopper): YES
    • On rare occasions, swap seats with the pilot in a flying vehicle because you want a different person to continue flying: ???
    • Frequently swap seats with the pilot in a flying vehicle in order to circumvent cooldowns on repair tools / stingers / etc.: NO
    • Steal an enemy vehicle whose driver was killed or bailed out to repair or run away: YES
    • Steal an enemy vehicle from an in-bounds base that they own (i.e. the LAV at point A on Rogue Transmission): YES
    • Steal an enemy vehicle from their OOB base: ???
    • Abandon a combat vehicle that is about to be destroyed: ???
    • Abandon a combat vehicle that is not about to be destroyed: ???
    • Get in a chopper or jet with the primary goal of getting to a rooftop and then bailing out, whether the vehicle is in danger or not: NO
    • Use a transport chopper to transport myself or my squad to a strategic location, then abandon the vehicle and continue playing the objectives: ???
    • Use a RHIB to transport myself or my squad to a strategic location, then abandon the vehicle and continue playing the objectives: ???
    • Use an AMTRAC to transport myself or my squad to a strategic location, then abandon the vehicle and continue playing the objectives: ???
    • With my squad's permission/orders, use the artillery, MAA, or another vehicle to cover an area from very far away: YES
    • As a pilot, bail out of a transport chopper that is about to explode, even if some of my passengers still haven't jumped: ???

Spawn-Killing and Out-Of-Bounds
    • Fire a weapon from any area that is out of bounds for the opposing team: NO
    • Fire a weapon at a target that is out of bounds, and has not engaged in combat (i.e. they just spawned in): NO
    • Fire a weapon at a target that has already engaged in combat, even if they retreat to an out-of-bounds area: YES
    • Use or place lethal gadgets (mortars, UCAVs, C4, mines) in the OOB area: NO
    • Return fire on someone who breaks the rules and fires into or out of the OOB area: YES
    • Use or place non-lethal gadgets (MAV, EOD bot, spawn beacon, ammo/HP) in the OOB area: YES
    • Use the MAA to kill midair infantry (i.e. parachuting from a spawn beacon, falling from a destroyed air vehicle, or paradropping from a spawn point / AC-130): ???
    • Fire a weapon at an empty enemy vehicle that spawns at a hostile flag, so that they won't be able to spawn into it and attack me (i.e. the LAV at point D on Dawnbreaker): ???
    • Fire a weapon at an empty enemy vehicle that spawns out of bounds (i.e. the MAA on Golmud Railway): NO

Infantry Combat
    • With my squad's permission/orders, use a sniper rifle, mortar, UCAV, or similar weapon to cover an area from very far away: ???
    • Commit suicide / redeploy in order to switch kits or spawn on my squad leader: ???
    • Jump for the sole purpose of avoiding fire, whether it's in the middle of a firefight, or a pre-emptive jump around a corner / past a doorway (a.k.a bunnyhopping): NO
    • Go prone for the sole purpose of avoiding fire during a firefight: YES
    • Jump over an obstacle in the middle of a firefight: YES
    • Use sniper rifles in close quarters combat: ???

Chain of Command
    • If the CO is busy / unresponsive or not giving commands for a long period of time, assign a new order to my squad: ???
    • Commit suicide / redeploy in order to switch kits or spawn on my squad leader: ???
    Last edited by fex; 12-15-2013, 11:00 PM.

Re: Am I allowed to ___________________?

Fire a launcher at enemy infantry that are too far away to realistically engage with small arms fire?

Fire a launcher at enemy armor for the purpose of using the splash damage to kill enemy engineers repairing the tank?

Comment

The admins have stated that they do NOT want a 1000 page manual on all the rules. I doubt that you will get the response that you are looking for here. Some of the rules get really close to the grey line and will incur pointless discussion.

I am no admin. Below is my opinion. Let me repeat that. It is MY OPINION.

Originally posted by fex View Post
      Lay down C4 traps at strategic locations to kill infantry: ??? Yes

Use the MAA to kill infantry that are dangerously close to me / looking at me, but have not attacked me yet: ??? Yes

Use the MAA to kill midair infantry (i.e. parachuting from a spawn beacon, falling from a destroyed air vehicle, or paradropping from a spawn point / AC-130): ??? Yes

Move the MAA from a safe spawn location to a more dangerous / infantry-heavy location, like a nearby flag (i.e. points A and E on Lancang Dam): ??? Yes.

Get in an MAA that spawns at a dangerous / infantry-heavy location (i.e. point C on Rogue Transmission), and fight my way out to a safer / more useful location: ??? Yes

Get in an MAA that spawns at a dangerous / infantry-heavy location (i.e. point C on Hainan Resort), and stay there: ??? Yes

Gosh all those questions about the AA! Remember this - it is meant to be an anti-air vehicle. It happens to be extremely effective against infantry, and marginally effective against armor (a bit more so with the Zuni missiles). If the enemy has a tank that is devastating friendlies, and the only thing between that tank and losing the game is the AA, by all means, do what you can to fight the tank with the AA. However, do not use the AA to fight infantry while the enemy holds air superiority!

Eject from a vehicle midair that is about to be destroyed, then fire a weapon while parachuting: ??? I'm not touching that one with a stinger...

With my squad's permission/orders, use the artillery, MAA, or another vehicle to cover an area from very far away: Yes

Swap seats with the pilot in a flying vehicle: ??? Yes if you do it once per flight. If you are switching back and forth, something is wrong - I would think it an exploit. For example, if you switch out every time you repair torch runs out to keep perpetual repairs going, that's not OK. If you cannot fly to save your life and your co pilot is FEX, switch out!

Steal an enemy vehicle from their OOB base: ??? No. Never enter the enemy uncap.

Abandon a combat vehicle that is about to be destroyed: ??? Yes. I never do lest it fall into enemy hands (2142 is still strong with me), but you may.

Abandon a combat vehicle that is not about to be destroyed: ??? Tough one. What vehicle? Why? You drove the jeep to your destination - Yes. You flew the helo above the roof you want to be on? No.

Use a transport chopper to transport several people to a rooftop that overlooks a flag, but is not within the capture radius of a flag (i.e. points B/C on Flood Zone, or C/D on Zavod 311): ??? Yes

Use a transport chopper to transport myself to a rooftop, without destroying the chopper or bailing it midair (i.e., land it safely on the rooftop, get out, and get back in when someone wants to spawn on me): ??? I do not understand this.

As a pilot, bail out of a transport chopper that is about to explode, even if some of my passengers still haven't jumped: ??? Yes. But the passengers will think less of you.

Use the MAA to kill midair infantry (i.e. parachuting from a spawn beacon, falling from a destroyed air vehicle, or paradropping from a spawn point / AC-130): ??? Yea shoot them down!

Fire a weapon at an empty enemy vehicle that spawns at a hostile flag, so that they won't be able to spawn into it and attack me (i.e. the LAV at point D on Dawnbreaker): ??? Yes

With my squad's permission/orders, use a sniper rifle, mortar, UCAV, or similar weapon to cover an area from very far away: ??? Yes

Commit suicide / redeploy in order to switch kits or spawn on my squad leader: ??? No. Suicide tactics are not allowed. You may not suicide. The only reason I can think of that would allow you to redeply is if you were stuck in some geometry glitch.
      That is MY interpretation of the TG play style on those questions.

Comment

Use AT on enemy air units? Still haven't found that answer yet, but may have over looked it.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

AT on air units is pretty common, no? an RPG vs. Helicopter, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            Use AT on enemy air units? Still haven't found that answer yet, but may have over looked it.
            Yes. Yes you may. You use the most effective weapon that you have for the situation that you are in. Caveats may apply, but that is a really good rule of thumb.

If you are troubled by a helo, and all you have is an RPG, you do the best you can to take it down with that RPG. If you're in a tank, and the helo flies low enough, hit it with the 120mm.

However, if you set up your kit to take advantage of a poor implementation of game mechanics, TG will disapprove. Here is an example: In BC2, you could put a red dot on a bolt action sniper rifle and rock CQB. That was NOT OK on TG. Effective? Yes. Allowed? No.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
              Here is an example: In BC2, you could put a red dot on a bolt action sniper rifle and rock CQB. That was NOT OK on TG. Effective? Yes. Allowed? No.
              What did that do? Just one shot kill? Because on current settings snipers are one shot kill. Just like how it was in BF3.

Comment

did you guys really ban using snipers in CQB? that's pretty silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
                  did you guys really ban using snipers in CQB? that's pretty silly.
                  When your clearing a building what do you think our military does? All grab bolt actions and clear?.... Or use m4's set up for close quarter
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I think there are literally hundreds of things that the video game has and does that isn't exactly the same as real life. The ability to use snipers close quarter is a flaw with the game that seems pretty ingrained. Anyway, not really the point I guess, so carry on.

Comment

If I have an RPG pulled out to kill a tank in the distance and someone pops out from around a corner, I'm not going to say "Please sir you may kill me now, I'm not allowed to shoot this RPG at you and I can't pull my gun out fast enough, so enjoy!"

Comment

This thread went rapidly where I expected it to go. There is no good way to make these blanket black and white "rules" which may or may not ever be enforced without ruffling feathers.

Comment

That is why the rules and the primer are open ended. Having a 100 page manual on a game is not something we are striving for as a community or a title. We are not here to "game the game", we are here to play the game with like minded individuals using real world tactics and teamwork to achieve a goal. You can "What if..." everything until the end of time, but in the end all you get is people going at each other and arguing back and forth. In my personal opinion, if you have to ASK if something is wrong chances are it might be so don't do it.

Use common sense.

*EDIT* Before you do something ask yourself "is what I am about to do in the spirit of Tactical Gamer and the game environment we are trying to achieve"

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by MDawg77 View Post
                            If I have an RPG pulled out to kill a tank in the distance and someone pops out from around a corner, I'm not going to say "Please sir you may kill me now, I'm not allowed to shoot this RPG at you and I can't pull my gun out fast enough, so enjoy!"
                            Exactly: you shoot him with that RPG. In fact, I shot Dredge with an RPG in a situation just as you described the other night. It was a legit kill.

Comment

The admins have stated that they do NOT want a 1000 page manual on all the rules.
                              That's fine. This guide isn't for the admins, it's for the players. If they aren't interested in helping to make it officially, I'll just maintain it unofficially based on admin responses when these situations come up in real games. If they're opposed to me keeping track of their rulings for some reason... well, I guess I don't see why that would happen.

Some of the rules get really close to the grey line
                              I guess that's sort of the point. A lot of these issues are things that real players really do, and there has been disagreement on whether or not they're allowed. If you ask me, the rules shouldn't change from day to day based on which admins are online, so it would be good to get official rulings once and for all. If it leads to some big discussions, I think that's great. It's good to talk about things and figure out what is best for the community. Keeping everything all mystified and secretive and subjective is, in my opinion, very bad for the community. It's hard to follow the rules if you don't know what they are.

Below is my opinion.
                              Yep. I agree with pretty much every interpretation you listed, including/especially your interpretation of the MAA stuff. Its first job is to clear the skies, and its second job is to clear the area around it. But I know that there are several people who interpret the rule more strictly (i.e. you shouldn't take the MAA to a flag because you're going to end up fighting a ton of infantry with it even if that wasn't your plan). It would be nice to get official rulings.

Use a transport chopper to transport myself to a rooftop, without destroying the chopper or bailing it midair (i.e., land it safely on the rooftop, get out, and get back in when someone wants to spawn on me): ??? I do not understand this.
                              Sorry, I'll expand on that one a bit. Let's say that Dredge gets in a transport chopper on Zavod 311, flies it onto the roof of D, lands it, gets out, and starts assaulting the flag from the roof. Maybe a few minutes later, his squad spawns on him, sets up a beacon. Kosher or not kosher?

I've always been a little hazy on where exactly the line is drawn with the transport chopper rules. I don't really use it at all since it has very limited usefulness in conquest (in fact, pretty much the ONLY thing it's good for is getting to rooftops next to flags). I figured this might be a good place to get some clarification. I sometimes think that we carried over the rule from BC2 (back when transport choppers were really, really good), and now we're treating them like sacred cows when they're really just glorified taxis.

The purpose of the transport chopper is to transport people. The only thing that makes the transport chopper any different from an amtrac or a RHIB is that there's only one on most maps, but for some reason, nobody bats an eye when someone takes a RHIB and beaches it on the shore of Paracel Storm, or when someone takes the amtrac to the highway on Flood Zone and then bails it there.

Personally, when I see someone get in the transport chopper, fly it up to a building that is looking over a flag, land it in one piece, get out, and begin assaulting the flag, I think that's a totally valid use of the helicopter. I find it important to reiterate that I don't ever do that, and I'm not an admin. This is just my perspective.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X