Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapon load outs... help a brother out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon load outs... help a brother out...

OK, don't laugh but I prefer and play even the PC version of BF4 with a gamepad, coming from the consoles these last few years, and also being left handed, I just find it so much easier and less time consuming to play with a controller. This of course has a major drawback as you would guess, my K/D and accuracy is terrible. It's why, for the most part I play engineer, for the AT weapons and support, for the machine guns. Many times i will get into a face to face shoot out with someone and lose, mostly due to missing the target, due to the gamepad.

Besides, re-learning the mouse and keyboard, what other in game tactics could I use to better my situation?

And what weapons/attachments/load-outs do you think favor a gamepad player over a mouse player, or at least bring the playing field closer together?

I would think a high rate of fire, and stability is most important, with a proper grip.

Feedback/suggestions?
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Weapon load outs... help a brother out...

Yeah I'd say try to choose weapons that have extremely high stability like the SAR assault rifle, QBB lmg, and PP-2000 if I am not mistaken. The SAR is the only one I find hindered by its low rate of fire. Maybe you should try carrying the shorty 12g as a secondary(if you have it unlocked) for those CQB moments.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Mtar with suppressor, angled grip. Try that and let me know. It's no long range setup put medium to close it's by far my favorite for engi
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

learn mouse and KB. a week's pain will be to your immense benefit.

Otherwise, use a SAR.

Suppressor does not change recoil, though it does increase spread of hip fire/moving accuracy. The MTAR is lovely, but I wouldn't really suggest it for someone who will lack recoil control.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
          learn mouse and KB. a week's pain will be to your immense benefit.

Otherwise, use a SAR.
          This, so much. You can find gaming mice for lefties around with a quick google search, anything from razer I'd recommend. Otherwise go with steady weapons(sar-21, ACE-23) and put a muzzle break/folding grip on them. On maps that are mostly CQC (op locker) use weapons with good hipfire (MTAR, AEK), put a laser sight/vert grip on it and spray away. Don't even bother with ADS. As a general side note here, the ACE-23 assault rifle is by far the strongest all around gun the game at the moment. Even with a gamepad, so long as other people are using different guns it will give you an edge.

I know TG is very infantry focused and this thread was about firearms, but you could close the gap between a gamepad and m/kb in vehicle combat significantly, especially in the air where you would be on equal footing. I'm not sure if you like attack helos at all, but I'm always looking for a gunner if you're interested. My IGN is [TGIR]Harkannon.

Comment

I find, also being on the console for the past two years that there are a couple things that have spoiled me. 1. when i am walking or driving a vehicle i do not have a degree in speed or turning choppers or vehicles with A, and D and makes me swing wildly to left or right. Makes flying choppers difficult for me now if I want precise aim. You also could control the speed of your movement. That being said, I think us PC gamers need i new input that gives the best of both worlds. Who wants to go start a patent with me ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze Cow View Post
              This, so much. You can find gaming mice for lefties around with a quick google search, anything from razer I'd recommend. Otherwise go with steady weapons(sar-21, ACE-23) and put a muzzle break/folding grip on them. On maps that are mostly CQC (op locker) use weapons with good hipfire (MTAR, AEK), put a laser sight/vert grip on it and spray away. Don't even bother with ADS. As a general side note here, the ACE-23 assault rifle is by far the strongest all around gun the game at the moment. Even with a gamepad, so long as other people are using different guns it will give you an edge.

I know TG is very infantry focused and this thread was about firearms, but you could close the gap between a gamepad and m/kb in vehicle combat significantly, especially in the air where you would be on equal footing. I'm not sure if you like attack helos at all, but I'm always looking for a gunner if you're interested. My IGN is [TGIR]Harkannon.
              I don't mean to stray from the topic, but calling the ACE-23 "by far the strongest all around gun" needs more to back it up. Especially when the ACE 23 and M416 are so darn similar (though I'd argue the AEK is superior to both in regular, the SCAR superior in hardcore)

The suggestion to not use ADS is flat wrong. If you aren't going to use ADS, you shouldn't use an AR. Period. You should use a carbine if you're not-engineer and a PDW like the PDW-R if you are an engineer and don't want to ADS.
              Last edited by Zoraster; 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

If you youtube "ace-23" or competitive BF4 matches it's generally considered the best all around gun in the game, with the AEK sometimes being subbed for it in small maps. There will of course be some circumstances where it is weaker than other guns (e.g. shotguns at point blank or snipers 400+ meters) but as an all around weapon it's pretty ridiculous. If you don't believe me give it a try.

As for ADS, I haven't really unlocked much from the PDW tree so I can't really speak much about them. I've personally found plenty of success using the AEK or FAMAS spray and pray style alongside carbines, maybe I've been doing it wrong lol. DPS wise I think the FAMAS in unmatched, but requires a lot of recoil control which could be difficult with a gamepad which is why i recommended the AEK which is similar to it with less recoil.

Edit: After thinking about it though, maybe some kind of auto shotgun with frag rounds would be best for a gamepad, just aim in their general direction lol. Has anyone unlocked those?
                Last edited by Kamikaze Cow; 12-18-2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

The problem is the spread. Obviously spread in absolute terms is less of an issue when in close quarters fighting as compared to putting your center on the enemy and rate of fire. But the number differences here are huge.

For an AR (other than AUG or L85) the ADS while standing still is 0.2. It's 1.0 if you move while ADS, but it's all the way up to 3.5 if you hipfire and move.

But for a Carbine the ADS standing still is greater (thus it makes for a bad long range weapon), but the moving penalty is not nearly as stiff. On an A-91, for example, the Hipfire while moving is a 2.375.

Then take a look at the PDW-R, which has a 0.5 ADS not moving and a 0.7 ADS-Moving. But the hipfire penalty is incredibly low. It's only 1.375 hipfire while moving. That's only a little above an assault rifle, scoped in while moving.

The point is that at the distances that hipfire is even remotely a consideration, if you NEVER ADS, you're better off with a Carbine or PDW because those weapons will give you the same DPS.

A brief census of youtube games reveals three weapons being used it seems: ACE-23, M416 and AEK. That's not really a surprise. The M416 is basically the same weapon as the ACE-23 with a couple of small plusses and minuses over it. I'm not arguing that the ACE-23 isn't a great weapon -- in my guide it's the first weapon listed. But I'm not sure it can be argued that it's by far the best weapon out there. Certainly not so good I'd make a universal recommendation of it for all play styles. And frankly, I'd be hard pressed to suggest a weapon pros use in game because a 5v5 situation is just such a departure from the game most people play (even those who play a lot of TDM/Dom play).

PS. FWIW I have about the same number of ACE-23 kills as you do, so I do have some exposure to it.

Comment

I think that there may be some confusion here. I believe that everyone is using the ACE-52 CQB(carbine), not the ACE-23(assault), there is a big difference between them. Ask Rockford, Britt or myself which gun is OP, lol. As Britt and myself have been saying since the second week of the games release, "I see a nerf coming for the ACE-52 CQB in a future patch".

The SAR is more stable because it has a lower rate of fire, yet its accuracy is only 45. Which is middle of the road for an assault, as many of them are. But I dont want to argue skill points put into each weapon, so I am going to just drop it here.

IMO, Magnum, find a weapon that works well for the way you play, and use it often. And for the love of god, re-learn the mouse and keyboard. :row1_26: You are not the first left handed person to play FPS games backwards. lol

I personally only use the ACE-52 CQB when engie or recon, the M416 when playing assault and still learning which LMG I prefer(right now it is the M240b.
                    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                    E Pluribus Unum
                    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                      IMO, Magnum, find a weapon that works well for the way you play, and use it often. And for the love of god, re-learn the mouse and keyboard. :row1_26: You are not the first left handed person to play FPS games backwards. lol
                      Couldn't have said it better. All the numbers and statistics mean nothing without results. Give a few of the suggested ideas a try and see what works best for you.

Comment

I use mouse and keyboard for tactical games, ArmA, SWAT, OGR, R6... I just prefer the game pad for faster paced games, CoD and BF.

Thx, good info here to test.
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

First: I really dont how you aim with those things ;=

Second: Im going to recommend 1 weapon for my favorite class or the one i have better performance, Engineer, spend a lot of time in this game (and BF3 too) and i can tell you that a weapon that im loving because works great at medium-close range is the UMP-9 is a pain in the ars to unlock but is a beatiful PDW and is the most stable to shoot, ive run it with the folding greap, PK-A 3.4x, laser sight for more accuracy on the hip fire.

I think this weapon is the best PDW for me, at least just for me.

Beside all the stats i allways think you need to use the weapon you feel works better with you, because there are other variants like DPI on the mouse, video card, latency, etc, etc i think all those can affect how the guns work or seems to work beside the real stats...so my advice try them all and choose 2 or 3 for each class and map.

Just my 2 pesos.
                          Saludos, marpla live from Argentina!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                            I think that there may be some confusion here. I believe that everyone is using the ACE-52 CQB(carbine), not the ACE-23(assault), there is a big difference between them. Ask Rockford, Britt or myself which gun is OP, lol. As Britt and myself have been saying since the second week of the games release, "I see a nerf coming for the ACE-52 CQB in a future patch".

The SAR is more stable because it has a lower rate of fire, yet its accuracy is only 45. Which is middle of the road for an assault, as many of them are. But I dont want to argue skill points put into each weapon, so I am going to just drop it here.

I personally only use the ACE-52 CQB when engie or recon, the M416 when playing assault and still learning which LMG I prefer(right now it is the M240b.

A few things:

1. The ACE-52 is a great weapon, but we're definitely talking about the ACE-23. The ACE-52 is basically SCAR-H Carbine, doing the 34 max damage, which works great. On TG it works particularly well because the 3 shot kill on regular is only to 8m but is up to 20m on TG, making the ACE-52's time to kill a theoretical 0.185 at that distance, only beaten by the FAMAS and CZ-3A1. If you want to check this out, here's a spreadsheet I did on the subject a bit ago. It lists numbers for three health levels: 85 (TG), 100 (regular) and 60 (HC). Keep in mind that a headshot is twice the damage, leg/arm/stomach is 0.93 damage, and those wearing body armor also have a 0.93 damage modifier.

But anyway, what we're talking about is the ACE-23.

2. I'd urge everyone to use symthic's numbers rather than the BF4 ones when possible (does not have all the China Rising stats yet). It is far more specific, and it lays out exactly why the SAR is such an easy weapon to aim with, and it's not just the low rate of fire. It's this:

The recoil on the SAR is tiny compared to other weapons. The spread is pretty good too (AR average mostly but with best-in-class spread increase). That means you can sit with it on automatic for quite a long time and with only minimal recoil control make your bullets hit their target.

The reason hardly anyone who can choose otherwise uses the SAR is because 600 rounds per minute is so. damn. slow. And playing on a mouse and keyboard setup will allow most people, even below average players, recoil control that can handle more than the SAR.

For more, see the narrative guide

---

Anyway, best advice is the one that everyone agrees on: learn mouse and keyboard. Failing that, play on a console so that at least your opponents are playing with a game controller. Failing that, I'd just go with the SAR.
                            Last edited by Zoraster; 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Just grab a gun and get good with it. Don't worry about the numbers and all that jazz. Been using the ak5c on all my kits, other than when I'm sniping. Never looked at any of the stats. Just know that it seems to work for me. 3400 kills with it.

Pick one and stick with it.
                              |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...