• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4 dirt bikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXFtPPlWOkE

1. This is amazing. Awesome. Funny.
    2. Now, let's discuss [email protected]:

First, it's a no-brainer that the roadkills are not OK at TG - but that's not the important part anyway.
    What's less obvious is the legality of these methods on TG.

Facts:
    They didn't suicide. (Deliberately or not)
    They didn't put C4 *on* the vehicle.
    They didn't abandon the vehicle or destroy it.
    They *did* perform a very risky maneuver that no one would probably ever do IRL. (But - we do a lot of that in BF4 anyway)
    They *did* place Health and Ammo Packs *on* the vehicle.

Here's my inclination (FWIW):
    The practice of C4-ing (anything) from a bike is legal.
    The practice of putting Health and Ammo packs on any vehicle is not.

Aside from being true to the spirit of our rules (I feel), it also limits this behavior, as players run out of ammo. So only 1 or 2 runs are possible before rearming.
    BF4: Indiscrimin8

Re: C4 dirt bikes

The vid is entertaining. I wish I had thought of doing that first.

I don't see any issue with it. Like you said it's not a suicide tactic and they aren't dumping the vehicle after one use. Good luck to those who think they can sneak up on a tank or amored vehicle time after time however.

One thing I take issue with is your statement about road kills. Running someone over should never be a primary goal with using a vehicle but it does happen occaisionally. I have no problem running someone over who is in the way or who begins shooting at me as I motor into the flag area. Again--never as a primary use of the vehicle.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

It's entertaining to be sure... but I think it doesn't quite align with what we're trying to do here. While it doesn't violate any rules... I would certainly hope that people would recognize that this isn't quite in the spirit of how we want people to treat their digital lives at TG.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I did laugh alot when I watched that video. I will also be javelin'ing every dirt bike I see from now on. I am torn by seeing the 'fun factor' but not being realistic in any way.

As far as motorbiking, it's different than running a person over in a truck, as the bike could get damaged, and you would most certainly go flying from the bike and take some damage as well, if I had a bike and I was going somewhere I'd evade and continue on, but that's personal preference.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
          Running someone over should never be a primary goal with using a vehicle but it does happen occaisionally. I have no problem running someone over who is in the way or who begins shooting at me as I motor into the flag area. Again--never as a primary use of the vehicle.
          Good point. I think some of their roadkills were merely opportunistic (legal), while others were pre-meditated (illegal).
          I agree it's potentially splitting hairs and hard to judge.
          Also, I agree with Photo that it feels different in a bike.

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
          It's entertaining to be sure... but I think it doesn't quite align with what we're trying to do here. While it doesn't violate any rules... I would certainly hope that people would recognize that this isn't quite in the spirit of how we want people to treat their digital lives at TG.
          I'm not completely sure about that. Would you have a problem with a little-bird passenger dropping C4 onto an enemy flag while the pilot flew over (and then detonating)?
          What about dropping C4 from that same little bird on to a dug-in enemy position? Sniper? Mobile artillery? And finally, why not a tank/LAV?
          And *if* you thought it was ok from a little bird, why not a motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Indiscriminate View Post
            I'm not completely sure about that. Would you have a problem with a little-bird passenger dropping C4 onto an enemy flag while the pilot flew over (and then detonating)?
            What about dropping C4 from that same little bird on to a dug-in enemy position? Sniper? Mobile artillery? And finally, why not a tank/LAV?
            And *if* you thought it was ok from a little bird, why not a motorcycle?
            My issue is not with the tactic of placing C4 on a vehicle to blow it up. My issue is with the manner in which they careen wildly about to get close to a vehicle with little care for their lives. They're not demonstrating any sense of value for their digital soldiers. It's fool-hardy and nearly suicidal. Just because they don't die in the process doesn't make it okay.

Let's not forget this is a neatly edited video. For all the times they succeed, I wonder how many failures were edited out.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

That was my original point. We already all do unrealistically risky things.

Comment

My point of contention was the unlimited RDX and healing. There's no way driving a motorcycle can you heal without stopping and patching. Also in a helo, you can't deploy a healing and/or ammo box to replenish. It just seems like an oversight to allow that on a moving vehicle that you have to use 2 hands to hold your balance.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

The argument that "you have to take care of your life, because in the real world you would" dsnt rly hold true anymore as we all know. Suicide tactics while being morally wrong has happened in past wars(not only islamist extemists have used suicide tactics) and continue to happen today. So while I agree that suicide tactics are completely against our rules (duh), we might need to find another argumentation for it :D

This looks super fun, it dsnt feel TG to me personally, even though they are not technically breaking any rules. Again, its all about interpretation.

Comment

I don't know that I see a major difference between driving a bike up to a tank to put C4 on it and running up to a tank to do so.

Originally posted by Damonte View Post

Let's not forget this is a neatly edited video. For all the times they succeed, I wonder how many failures were edited out.
                    for what it's worth, they went 11-7 and 2-4 in the video I watched. (here)
                    Last edited by Zoraster; 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

C4 dirt bikes

To the original video, I still have to wonder why people are still looking at the legality or " rules" of doing things. Only question you need to ask yourself to know if something should be done is this:
                      Does this really fit in and foster the type of environment TG is trying to create on there server ?

Its an easy answer for me, and should be for any tagged member or regular on our server and forums.
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I've been tagged for almost ten years yet I was on the fence. I like to think I'm a good TGer and I think many would say so.

I'd never use this as a primary tactic but I can see it being done in desperation.

The other day the snipefest on the big desert map got so bad I jumped on a motorcycle, rode clear around the whole map and came up on a nest of snipers from behind, taking out two of them with my carbine before getting killed by the third. Yes, this is different but there are similarities.

Anyways--I don't mean to engender a pointless debate but I just think tying into our status as a tagged or regular TGer makes little sense. In the big picture though, you are right. It's not the kind of thing we'd encourage on our server so that's really the bottom line I guess.
                        Last edited by Grunt 70; 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If a couple guys can take out essentially every vehicle thrown at them(airborne or not) with nothing more than a motorbike and some plastique, all the more glory to them and all the more embarrassment to their foes.

Speaking of RL tactics, though, a couple guys on a motorbike rolling up next to an armored vehicle and attaching remote or timed explosives was an ever present threat overseas. That is to say nothing of using the bike for hit-and-runs with a rifle/handgun or grenades(another routine occurrence) . Don't be too quick to dismiss what you might think of as "unorthodox" tactics as unreal.
                          Un Equipo de Trabajo Para Bien de Todos

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                            If a couple guys can take out essentially every vehicle thrown at them(airborne or not) with nothing more than a motorbike and some plastique, all the more glory to them and all the more embarrassment to their foes.

Speaking of RL tactics, though, a couple guys on a motorbike rolling up next to an armored vehicle and attaching remote or timed explosives was an ever present threat overseas. That is to say nothing of using the bike for hit-and-runs with a rifle/handgun or grenades(another routine occurrence) . Don't be too quick to dismiss what you might think of as "unorthodox" tactics as unreal.
                            Never in my post did I mention anything about a real life or real world tactic. I merely posted the thought that should be in your mind before doing something like this. Grunt understood it. Let's be real, this is an edited video. You know as well as I do that there were multiple suicides and assets wasted for every success that made the cut. You seem to have the impression that a cheesy tactic like this is viewed as "glorious and triumphant"......... How glorious is wasting assets and c4 suicide? Because I guarantee you'll have more of that than actual legit kills.

Again, is this really inline with the server atmosphere were trying to create at TG?
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                              Never in my post did I mention anything about a real life or real world tactic. I merely posted the thought that should be in your mind before doing something like this. Grunt understood it. Let's be real, this is an edited video. You know as well as I do that there were multiple suicides and assets wasted for every success that made the cut. You seem to have the impression that a cheesy tactic like this is viewed as "glorious and triumphant"......... How glorious is wasting assets and c4 suicide? Because I guarantee you'll have more of that than actual legit kills.

Again, is this really inline with the server atmosphere were trying to create at TG?
                              Given that you haven't seen the rest of this video(before editing), I don't think you can guarantee anything. It's certainly possible that they pulled it off with a large margin of kills to every death(I certainly didn't see any suicides, unless attacking the enemy is suicide) . If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid. These guys took an otherwise ignored and largely useless asset(the motorbike) and turned it into an effective(and entertaining!) weapon that enabled them to punch WAY above their weight. I just think that people should spend a little more time applauding initiative and creativity and a little less time trying to enforce a fundamentally subjective standard(given that this isn't against the rules as they are set out, it's even explicitly WITHIN the rules if they don't use the crates) .

I mentioned it's real world parallel and application because it is common to hear people(in this thread, as in others) dismiss tactics like this or, say, using the main gun of a tank to shoot down choppers, as something that would not be done in RL and therefore unacceptable. But that's simply not the case.

One could certainly argue that the risk of losing two men on a motorbike for the chance to take out at least one tank, maybe more, is (more than)worth the price. At the end of the day, preserving soldiers is NOT a priority beyond all others. That's just how it goes. If you don't think it's what people should be doing at TG, that's absolutely, totally fine. But an argument of it's realistic(or not) nature isn't one that's going to come down on your side(speaking generally) . :)

EDIT: It's worth noting that if the vehicles they hit had gunners on the ball and protecting their flanks rather than flying solo, they'd have stomped those guys into the dirt.

~The excepting factor being the ammo and medical crates on the bike, naturally. That's funny, but just not meant to be~
                              Last edited by Silas; 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM.
                              Un Equipo de Trabajo Para Bien de Todos

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X