Unranked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unranked?

What's missing from unranked at this point? If we're not going unranked permanently, maybe we can do an unranked weekend as an event? :)

Re: Unranked?

This is certainly something we can look at if people would like. I'll take another look at the settings to see if it's working better now.

Comment

Yes please
      sigpic

Comment

I'd be curious to see what would be different and if the server would draw more than the faithful.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
          I'd be curious to see what would be different and if the server would draw more than the faithful.
          I'm not sure I care. If just the faithful played on our server, I think we might do just fine.
          Thanks to VOIP sucking, it seems very few "pubbies" get drawn into TG.
          BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

Originally posted by Indiscriminate View Post
            I'm not sure I care. If just the faithful played on our server, I think we might do just fine.
            Thanks to VOIP sucking, it seems very few "pubbies" get drawn into TG.
            Which is too bad, given that VOIP works perfectly well on so many other servers(virtually all in my experience) . I would imagine that identifying WHY the VOIP on the TG server is so poor compared to other servers is a priority.
            Un Equipo de Trabajo Para Bien de Todos

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
              Which is too bad, given that VOIP works perfectly well on so many other servers(virtually all in my experience) . I would imagine that identifying WHY the VOIP on the TG server is so poor compared to other servers is a priority.
              That would make sense if that was a common experience.
              However, my experience is that it's just as poor on all servers. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
              I'm not sure the data supports the conclusion that VOIP is only bad on TG (or that TG is a minority).
              BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

I have found VoIP to be better on just about every other server that I have tried. I don't know what is particular about ours that is giving us problems.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiscriminate View Post
                  That would make sense if that was a common experience.
                  However, my experience is that it's just as poor on all servers. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
                  I'm not sure the data supports the conclusion that VOIP is only bad on TG (or that TG is a minority).
                  I can't help but disagree with you on this. Of every other server I've played on, TG has had by FAR the worst VOIP. On top of this, most other servers seem to have high-functioning VOIP with no degradation. This certainly does NOT seem to be tied to the population of the server. I appreciate that it might not be a common experience between the two of us, but it is a common one nevertheless.

For someone who owns and operates a server, surely there must be avenues to identify and resolve the issue? Perhaps switching hosts, for all I know. But it is a slightly urgent issue.

Comment

It's unlikely there's something special about our server software/hardware. What's more likely to be different is our usage model. My bet is that servers support N concurrent voice channels and with how much we talk, we exceed that.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      It's unlikely there's something special about our server software/hardware. What's more likely to be different is our usage model. My bet is that servers support N concurrent voice channels and with how much we talk, we exceed that.
                      I highly doubt that.

Even if we did use VOIP more often than most servers, a significant chunk of the VOIP usage on the TG server is done via Teamspeak, which would counteract that increased load, and yet the in-game VOIP is still crap even when half of the server is using TS.

It's probably not the software, no, but it might be a resource allocation problem on the hardware.

Comment

Have to disagree Kilrogg. TG is using one of the "supported GSP" as required by Dice. So the difference between our server and another is name and game settings only. If it were a hardware allocation issues it would affect many more servers. And even if it is found to be a hardware issue, there is exactly nothing that can be done as the GSP's maintain control of their servers. We are just renting the space.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                          Have to disagree Kilrogg. TG is using one of the "supported GSP" as required by Dice. So the difference between our server and another is name and game settings only. If it were a hardware allocation issues it would affect many more servers. And even if it is found to be a hardware issue, there is exactly nothing that can be done as the GSP's maintain control of their servers. We are just renting the space.
                          I would still think that it would be in the best interest of TG for the person responsible for the proper functioning of the server to investigate any possible solutions. The reality is that other servers are enjoying the expected degree of VOIP functionality that the game requires. A couple phone calls, even, might do some good. There are a large number of server providers(GSPs) out there. Maybe TG needs a new one.

Comment

It is being looked into, has been for some time and tests are being performed as regards voip performance on other servers. The results thus far are amazingly inconclusive with voip performance being erratic and inconsistent across the board. X person has no issues on any other server but TG, Y person has no problems at all, Z person has varying performance on every server they play on.

Again this is somewhat worthless as a diagnostic but personally I have mixed experiences on other servers during my own testing and mixed on our server. Sometimes I can come with everyone in my squad bar one guy. No real rhyme nor reason to it. Suffice to say the voip does not work 100% of the time for 100% of the people so it's not really fit for purpose, hence we are looking into it.

Comment

VOIP performance is a pretty difficult thing to quantify. Anecdotal evidence is pretty unconvincing.

TG could make changes to their server provider with the idea that doing something is better than nothing. But without any evidence that a change would bring someone together, the cost seems higher than the benefit. It changes people's favorites in battlelog, which TG has already built up. Perhaps not a big problem, but added to the cost of change (not monetary but the work that goes into it), one has to wonder whether it's worth it with just a vague idea that "something should be done."

If you want to be truly helpful, you could try and generate some sort of methodical data on the subject both at TG and at other similar VOIP-heavy communities. But that's a lot of work.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X