Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combatting the lone wolf sniper attitude. (Known as lws syndrome)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combatting the lone wolf sniper attitude. (Known as lws syndrome)

now, while I know it sounds like trolling, I tried an experiment (no, not him) of a social nature. Spawning in on a squad with a lws, instead of squad hopping I spent the remainder of the round playing right next to him talking to him (he didn't respond) asking him where he was going why he was picking his spots. He kept looking back at me wondering what I was doing, but eventually he started advancing on flags. The funny thing was that he might have been creeped out by me following him, but I was explaining how we have rules to follow our squad leads, and I kept asking what was our objective.

While I don't know if he actually wanted to learn more, it was a way to make contact with one and explain how we play. Ok, maybe a little trolling as well but it felt good.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Re: Combatting the lone wolf sniper attitude. (Known as lws syndrome)

There is a lot we can do to help new members, and this is a perfect example.

Often, when I am SL, I'll have people join my squad and then they start to just run off and do their own thing. I just keep issuing orders, and then gently remind him that I expect him to be with the squad. It may take a few reminders, but to my surprise, I'd say that in 80% of these cases, the guy actually starts participating in the squad.

I think the main problem is that on 90% of the servers out there, lone-wolf (or at least, non team oriented) play is just normal. These guys don't even know that there are other ways to play the game. If we show them, a lot of them will see the light.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

We could kick lone wolfs all day but the only way we will truly get rid of them and stop the revolving door is if we breed new server regulars so they can't even get on the server. To do that takes time, patience and a commitment from everyone. Our BF2,2142,PR and PoE2 servers went through that process to reach their high points where 90% of the server would be supporting members during peak hours. I think a lot of our regulars tend to forget that. The titles they have fond memories of had their own growing pains and did not magically start out with no one wasting jets, bunny hopping, jihad jeeping, lonewolfing, etc. Often it took months from those initial server regulars committing to growing the internal base.

I would not say you have to follow a sniper all round and creep him out to make that happen lol but most of the tools your using are good. For every personal connection each of you make that may lead to a new server regular - that is potentially one less slot for a non server regular. Those connections will only happen if we...

- leave a spot or two open in TG squads for someone new the majority of the time ( all TG squads are fun but if we doing that most of the time we are wasting opportunity)
      - spread out into non TG led squads - to fully clean up your home you have to jump into the potential dirty areas
      - be friendly and have patience with the new guys
      - teach the TG way - our ruleset and heavy expectations are complicated and foreign to the average joe. Help explain our ruleset and why we have them
      - invite new faces to our website and teamspeak server. The deeper we involve them the more committed they become.

Of course for those lonewolfs who just won't follow orders or communicate despite your best efforts - please take the time to inform an admin. Do not kick them from the squad to pass them onto someone else. Same goes for the squad leaders out there who won't lead/communicate. Do not give up and join another squad - get in contact with an admin so we can clean up our server together.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Understood, I have been looking for other ways to get some lone wolfer's to respond somehow. 1 round could be all that is needed in order to help them understand what this community offers people. But I have always struggle with the fact that I am squad leading and they are on the other side of the map doing their own thing.

42nd Recon

Comment

I think there is a misconception of what constitutes a lone wolf sniper, at least from standpoint of people who are new the server, or play style. At times it has come off that someone playing a non aggressive recon is not a team player, rather than a sniper noting playing in a team oriented Manner.
          ||TG-Irr| Chaos777b

Comment

While true Chaos, I think its sad/fair to say 9 out of 10 pubs that jump on are workin the solo aspect. You wouldn't believe what it looks like in spectator mode. Single players on the far corners of the map, dangling their feet in the out of bounds area staring off into the map. They are more worried about getting a positive KDR (I wanna go 44-2 cause I'm l33t) than helping the team.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

He probally thought you were playing body guard. ;)

Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

hahahahahahahahahahahaha, Magnum that was too funny.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  He probally thought you were playing body guard. ;)

My favorite of the Battleloggers vids....makes me laugh every time.

42nd Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                    While true Chaos, I think its sad/fair to say 9 out of 10 pubs that jump on are workin the solo aspect. You wouldn't believe what it looks like in spectator mode. Single players on the far corners of the map, dangling their feet in the out of bounds area staring off into the map. They are more worried about getting a positive KDR (I wanna go 44-2 cause I'm l33t) than helping the team.
                    I completely agree with this, especially in regards to pubs.

Its even better when they take a chopper out bounds for infantry, land and snipe from the passenger seat. GAH
                    ||TG-Irr| Chaos777b

Comment

Originally posted by chaos777b View Post
                      I completely agree with this, especially in regards to pubs.

Its even better when they take a chopper out bounds for infantry, land and snipe from the passenger seat. GAH
                      Hmm...out of bounds landed bird...yummy! Tank fodder! :D

Might explain why I get picked off by snipers with shots coming from out of bounds zones. And here I was thinking it was just my imagination...wish I had thought of doing that. Now I'll have to keep and eye on something like this happening. :)

[MENTION=13786]Photometric[/MENTION]

I actually tried something similar the other day with a whole squad of snipers. Except I tried a new tactic when I couldn't get them to budge. I'd go support, stand or crouch and spray-and-pray down to whatever they were shooting at. Got them moving around a lot when people started picking them off. Too bad I couldn't steer them towards taking an objective.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X