Attack Helicopter Loadout Q?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack Helicopter Loadout Q?

Played just 3 rounds of AS, Helicopters Only... before I unlocked all the loadouts, and got my service star, and best of all, did a lot of learning on flying those damn things.

And I might add it was a pretty awesome game mode at times, especially forming up and attacking in force, felt like playing "Ride of the Valkyries". ;)

So anyway... if you want to learn to fly and unlock all, that the mode/server to jump on... good fun... now for my Q. Whats the best attack helicopter loadout... IN YOUR OPINION?

And while I'm here... when playing on the TG server, what is the rule for getting into choppers and other vehicles. Clear with SL 1st? Be assigned a specific air squad? Just never noticed, since I've never done it.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Attack Helicopter Loadout Q?

Clear it with SL first. Don't just up and take off in vehicle assets. (as noted in the SOP. See first post from Wicks in this sticky)

*personal opinion*
    I also find it courteous when someone clears vehicle use with SL. I don't mind if one of my guys brings up a vehicle - after notifying me first - as long as they're using it to support the squad and/or the current situation. It's the ones that jump into a jet or other asset without notification and take off to do their own thing, that bug me. Which also violates SOP. (the lone-wolf/Rambo behavior). However, all in all, clear vehicle asset usage with SL first.
    |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
      Played just 3 rounds of AS, Helicopters Only... before I unlocked all the loadouts, and got my service star, and best of all, did a lot of learning on flying those damn things.

And I might add it was a pretty awesome game mode at times, especially forming up and attacking in force, felt like playing "Ride of the Valkyries". ;)

So anyway... if you want to learn to fly and unlock all, that the mode/server to jump on... good fun... now for my Q. Whats the best attack helicopter loadout... IN YOUR OPINION?

And while I'm here... when playing on the TG server, what is the rule for getting into choppers and other vehicles. Clear with SL 1st? Be assigned a specific air squad? Just never noticed, since I've never done it.
      Best attack heli loadout is to be a scout heli instead. ;)

However, that's sometimes not an option. In that case, I see no reason to not use smart missiles (I don't have them unlocked, but played around with them in beta. Also, looking at Symthic, they appear to be straight upgrades over the stock rockets). Air radar is worthless, and gyro vs stealth coating is probably personal preference. I go with gyro but I'm also not what I'd call great at flying. ECM is a straight upgrade over flares if you remember that going at full-tilt can take you out of the ECM cloud and let missiles lock on (at least, I think that's what's been happening to me). I personally can't aim TOW missiles well while flying, though if you can, more power to you. I think trying to use the attack heli to fight air targets is futile, so if I was better, I'd ditch the heatseakers ASAP and run a solely armor-killing atk heli, but I don't do much with the TOW as-is. A little more practice and I could run a pretty mean heli with a one-two TOW/TV combination doing something like 80 damage to armor, leaving only a quick gunner burst or rocket barrage to finish the deal. With ECMs and decent positioning, you may even be able to take out a distracted MAA, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Gunner should run with TV missiles, belt feeder, and their choice of optics. (If someone on your team is very, very diligent about lasing, consider switching to LGMs, but I wouldn't as a matter of course) Also, as a gunner, as soon as you spawn in, fire off a single round and start reloading. You'll effectively gain one more magazine from this.
      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I found the dumb fire hydras, stealth coating, TOW, and flares to be my default load out as pilot

The Zuni rockets were mentioned in a change log recently so I might give them a try again as previously they felt like they lacked a good advantage to the hydras.

As gunner my choices depend a bit more on context. The sight chosen depends on the map. Open ones are more friendly to zoom or high interference low light optic and urban maps are better off with one of the low light optics mostly. The TV missile is probably the better default(given you are comfortable guiding it) unless you are working with a target designator and firing from cover in tandem with your pilot. In which case the guided missile can create some synergy.

edit: The smart hydras capacity in total and in magazine is less than regular
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X