Less emphasis on language more of laying down orders and obeying SL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less emphasis on language more of laying down orders and obeying SL

Can we have a less emphasis i.e. big bold orange across the screen message & in the chat channel, on bad language and more of an emphasis on requiring SL's to lay down orders and squad lead?

Nothing ruins a game more than SL's not laying down orders and creating an objective.

I'm going to play armchair Admin here but I just don't get the semi obsession on the server about bad language.

Someone calling me a $%@&*$ has a less impact on my game than the squad leader who is not a squad leader.

Ok, I get it, I don't need a bunch of reply's that respect for your fellow players is in SOP. We don't want players on the server dropping F bombs. I understand.

From my experience, the big fun kill on the server, is as mentioned, SL's not playing their role.

A big help would be, and I've ranted about this on another thread but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears, to either add or change the messaging to reflect SL's lay down orders and lead the squad.

Additionally, having the same message in rotating chat.

I believe it will have a positive impact on reminding SL's to lead.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Less emphasis on language more of laying down orders and obeying SL

I am not sure that one is being done to the detriment of the other. Language issues can effect all. SLs not doing their job -- you fix it. You speak up. I am not sure that the best solution to poorly performing SLs is the admins. We need to be responsible for our gaming as well. Tell the SL to step up or step out.
    sigpic

Comment

Ughhh. Never mind. Brick wall on this issue.
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
        Ughhh. Never mind. Brick wall on this issue.
        No, come back. Discuss.

My point is that no changes in messaging will NOT [edit] have much impact. The best way to police SLing (and language) is to take personal responsibility for the situation and act.
        Last edited by E-Male; 02-09-2014, 10:17 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

No changes in messaging will have much impact? Then why have an over sized message, along with scrolling chat, telling players to watch their language? That may not have much an impact but it's their to remind players of the server rules.

Why not have the same for my suggestion?

I'm the one who was ranting about adding Mature, Team work, VOIP to the server listing, thank you very much:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ml#post1806456

Low and behold it was added.

Trust me, this suggestion is just as good and effective.
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

The fact as was pointed out, we as admins in game, or spectating, or through procon can't see if SLs are issuing orders. There is no setting that would allow it. We can see if an objective is marked, but using that as a basis of actual squad leading will lead to problems. I for one sometimes forget for most of a round to Q up the objective. But I made it clear in VOIP or TS what we are doing. Where as the language stuff, we can see that straight away and deal with it according to our admin SOPs. So, you as players need to report it. Ask anyone that has been playing while I was on and they will tell you the problem is handled swiftly.

Changing the greeting message might not have the intended effect also. As we can see, it talks about maturity yet some act a fool. I might also add that players can and do turn off the option to have that message display at all. So we can not rely on the server MOTD to explain anything. All we can do is monitor chat, and respond to reports.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Fatkid did you notice I changed the welcome message a few days back? It covers our basics expectations on teamwork now. I made that change after reading your recent comments in another thread.:)

edit: Whatever the messaging says though - most won't read it. As Dredge noted - it is easy for admins to handle chatter. Chain of command is something that takes everyones involvement. If there is a SL who won't lead or communicate then admins have to be notified - we can't see those problems without our membership pointing them out.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Here is my strategy (some admins can surely attest to this):

Every time I log on to the TG server, I start with whatever squad I land in.
                I immediately check if the SL has designated a point, and if he's communicating at all.
                If not, I request orders and attempt to establish voice comms.
                Failing that, I try to establish text comms.
                If those fail, I do a "!admin !report *name* for not leading squad and not communicating at all."
                He gets warned, and usually, the admins have to kick him.
                The next guy is now squad leader, and I repeat the process until either we get a good SL, I end up SL, or the squad is decimated. :)

It costs me some of my cherished play time, trying to contact the SL and/or get him to actually squad lead. But hopefully it contributes to the quality of our community... I dunno for sure.
                BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

No, you can do more than monitor chat and respond to reports, your doing it. Your establishing server rules via text on screen and streaming via chat.

Why have a greeting message at all if it may not have an intended effect and if players can and do turn off the option to have whatever message is displayed?

It's displayed because it provides awareness of the server rules, conduct and expectations. Some players won't read it or follow it. Some will. Some will come back and play because they like the server rules.

I don't need to report a non functional SL to an Admin because I can and do deal with it myself as E-male pointed out.

What I need are new players to the server at least to have a rule stated to them before I issue my warning what they are supposed to be doing as a SL leader with the regularity of warning them against foul language.
                  |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                  - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                    Fatkid did you notice I changed the welcome message a few days back? It covers our basics expectations on teamwork now. I made that change after reading your recent comments in another thread.:)

edit: Whatever the messaging says though - most won't read it. As Dredge noted - it is easy for admins to handle chatter. Chain of command is something that takes everyones involvement. If there is a SL who won't lead or communicate then admins have to be notified - we can't see those problems without our membership pointing them out.
                    Saw this after my last post. Well thank you :)

Insane rant ended.
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

[MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION], when you said in your post, players have the option to have the message show at all, do you mena turn off the chat to hide/show-when-active, or is there a way we can stop seeing the big banner messages without using the two above mentioned chat box settings?
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Players can turn off the middle screen messages. However, I would (and I can assume most of the admins as well) not recommend it. As it is used for server wide broadcasts. Sometimes admin messages can get lost in the chat box. It's especially good if a server wide warning needs to be sent out.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I have to say I am as guilty as most in this regard. If I get a SL who isn't doing anything (and this is RARE on TG compared to Pubby servers) I just swap to another squad to find a leader. I don't speak up or confront etc. It would be easy to just ask for Objectives but most of the time I find it not worth the investment in time on someone who is not SL like he should. Of course these folks tend to get "Volunteered" to be SL due to the last SL quitting etc.. so it's not all their fault.
                          So Basically it's all the players responsibility to keep things tight in the Squad and speak up etc... As for the big popup message welcoming me... Hate it!.. Gotten in the way a few times visually and I find myself looking "around" it to see. But the NO SWEARING deal is pretty common on alot of the more popular pubby servers too..so we aren't exactly a monastery or anything...

Anywho ... Thanks///

Pear..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Technical question on the initial message,

Is the delay intentional? For example, I load in, go to an objective, get in firefight and then I get the message in the middle of the screen.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                              Technical question on the initial message,

Is the delay intentional? For example, I load in, go to an objective, get in firefight and then I get the message in the middle of the screen.
                              Funny thing is..right after the message pops up... Dredge kills me.. Hmm..coincidence...
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...