Penalize the losing team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalize the losing team?

I was wondering what it would take to motivate players into "Caring" about getting the Win, more than getting the high score/most kills. This is not a new BF4 phenomena and has been around as long as we have scoring in a game and Rank rewards. Maybe if there was a Point Hit, like a 50% penalty on all points obtained in a round for the losing team, then some would work for the win more then for the individual kills?

Just a thought..

Pear..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Penalize the losing team?

Is this just a thought experiment? Because it's not going to be possible from TG's side.

The problem is that if you increase the benefits to winning (or penalize losing), you're going to see (a) people trying to game the system and (b) more strife. Ever played league of legends? A more toxic environment you cannot find this side of 4chan, but that's in large part because winning is at SUCH a premium and you have to rely on a lot of other people to do their part.

Comment

i'm with zoraster on this one, the problem with penalizing the losers is that often times it's not within their control, being that BF4 is a team game, and so many people just want to drive their tank, or snipe, or whatever

if you could instead penalize people for NOT following objectives set by their leader that would be great... however there's a downside to that as well because not everyone is a good leader, for example last night on floodzone my squad was holding B & C very strongly by ourselves and our commander kept trying to get us to move elsewhere, i'm sorry but we won, and NOT by listening to the commander, we were the ONLY squad holding those points and those were the only 2 points we held all map, the commander was nuts trying to send us to E and then A and then D and then A.... blah

there's no good way to solve this problem

Comment

This is a community and administration issue, I believe.

We need to keep growing the community and the culture of TG by encouraging players to play the right way. Also, we need reports to be made to the admins so they can remove the kinds of players you are talking about -- players who only play for their stats, not for the team.

A plug-in solution would never work here.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalcassette View Post
          for example last night on floodzone my squad was holding B & C very strongly by ourselves and our commander kept trying to get us to move elsewhere, i'm sorry but we won, and NOT by listening to the commander, we were the ONLY squad holding those points and those were the only 2 points we held all map, the commander was nuts trying to send us to E and then A and then D and then A.... blah
          Yeah, as the squad leader in that round, I was breaking TG rules by not listening to the commander, but I didn't care. I want to win more than anything else. I never mind staying put and holding a flag, but most people want to go into the action to get kills.

I don't like penalizing losers, but I'm all for a bigger reward for winners. What I really want to see is the removal of K/D and death tracking from some game modes, specifically conquest. There needs to be more focus on winning and less worry about dying. It won't happen, but I can dream.

Comment

The stats discussion has been going on since they started publishing individual player stats, in response to Call of Duty. People need bragging rights over other individuals, I surmise, which is where we get the lone wolfers, or people who are not working with their team.

Commanders and their competency are a different discussion. Yes, we understand the better choices might be the exact opposite of what a commander wants, but it is still against the primer to do so. The easy answer is education, but the commander also might be looking for certain stats or certain accomplishments to fill up their own resume and unlocks. Not an easy answer, at all.

Just a thought that at least some form of comms to the commander, even if it's broadcast 'Team' message to explain your idea, would be good to bring them to your side. From a planning/execution standpoint, the commander might want to flip your full, very talented squad to a tougher objective, while moving a smaller squad to keep your flag. When you take matters into your own hands, it could cause plans to unravel.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Yeah, I get that. I did try to communicate with him, both in voice when he had our squad selected, then in team chat. I tried to tell him that no one else was protecting those 2 flags, so I didn't want to leave. He never responded, just kept giving me orders to go to other contested flags. If we left, we would lose B and C instantly. I have no qualms about staying, and I'd do it again.

The commander was a name I didn't recognize, and he's rank 15, so he's pretty new. I definitely wanted to help him, but he was ignoring my communication.

Comment

Please remember that following the Chain of Command is a fundamental tenet of TG and isn't optional.

If you feel there is an issue with the CO's orders you could politely offer a suggestion or two but ignoring orders will potentially result in warnings/kicks/ban.

Comment

Haha, I didn't realize posting in a thread about wanting to win above worrying about stats would wind up getting me banned. Thanks for bringing it up, digitalcassette :P

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    Please remember that following the Chain of Command is a fundamental tenet of TG and isn't optional.

If you feel there is an issue with the CO's orders you could politely offer a suggestion or two but ignoring orders will potentially result in warnings/kicks/ban.
                    Understood, can someone outline the acceptable practices when very and I mean very questionable orders come down from the commander if they don't even respond to your suggestion? Without a vote option for allowing commanders, we could end up with multiple rounds of inexperienced vs very experienced commanders and it's a position alot of people don't want to be in.

42nd Recon

Comment

Originally posted by abendchain View Post
                      Haha, I didn't realize posting in a thread about wanting to win above worrying about stats would wind up getting me banned. Thanks for bringing it up, digitalcassette :P
                      Lol, not quite, it was stating "I broke TG rules and I don't care" that led me to point out that if people do this it could lead to problems. It's fairly obvious that breaking server rules, is er, against server rules, or something lol.

We don't want people thinking this is ok on a TG server because, well it's not. Consider it a public service announcement.

I don't have time right now to go into all the various scenarios as regards a 'problematic commander' but will try to clarify it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                        Without a vote option for allowing commanders,
                        There *IS* a vote option for kicking commanders.
                        BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

Just to add some context to [MENTION=79600]abendchain[/MENTION] comment he did have an admin in his squad (me!) who agreed with how this went down. The commander joined after the round had started (it felt like it was quite a ways in) and did not communicate with us in anyway other than issue orders to leave our flags. Before he had joined, us squad leaders (abend took over for me as I had to go afk for min) had agreed in chat who was defending or attacking what flags.

This was following a round where we had done the same thing as squad leaders, trying to organize ourselves without having a commander
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok. I wasn't sure if this wasn't already covered on a different thread is all. Usually this is discussed, but when I searched for commander, there were a million threads, so I was wondering if there was something already done.

42nd Recon

Comment

Thanks, hil3illy. I don't think I realized you were an admin. I guess I should be more careful when I willfully disobey the rules, heh.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X