What are your Favorite Maps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your Favorite Maps?

Alright guys, here's a simple poll to get some discussion going about our favorite maps.

Please vote (more than one is ok) and post why they are your favorites.

Note: I left a few out (Metro, Locker, Flood Zone) because I am limited to 15 options.
    Altai Range
    4.92%
    Caspian Border
    8.33%
    Dawnbreaker
    4.55%
    Dragon Pass
    6.44%
    Golmud Railway
    6.44%
    Guilin Peaks
    7.20%
    Gulf of Oman
    9.85%
    Hainan Resort
    4.92%
    Lancang Dam
    6.44%
    Operation Firestorm
    4.92%
    Paracel Storm
    10.61%
    Rogue Transmission
    4.92%
    Siege of Shanghai
    7.58%
    Silk Road
    3.79%
    Zavod 311
    9.09%

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: What are your Favorite Maps?

Each of the ones I picked (Siege of Shanghai, Silk Road, Zavod 311, Paracel Storm, Operation Firestorm, Gulf of Oman, Caspian Border, Altai Range) all feel the most balanced and ive had the most fun on those. Good dynamics of infantry and armor usually
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I would have voted for Flood Zone had it been on the list.

.... but err..... not for Locker or Metro.
      BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

I am surprised at the low support of Dawnbreaker, which seems to be to me the most balanced map (armor and infantry) of all.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

I think Hainan, Metro, and Locker are the worst maps in the game. Zavod is can be fun, but it is too linear on the north and south sections. I pretty much like all the other maps in the game, I do think Guilin Peaks should of only had five flags with 64, it causes too much whack-a-mole, I DO like the map though.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
            I do think Guilin Peaks should of only had five flags with 64, it causes too much whack-a-mole
            In fairness, I think lack of a commander and the comms to support that level of collaboration are what causes the whack-a-mole, not the map itself.
            The distance between the maps (without heavy vehicle transpo) *does* add to it - but that can be said about other maps, too, even tho they *have* vehicles (Silk Road, Altai Range).
            BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

I went with Siege, Paracel, Lancang, and all of the China Rising maps (except Silk Road). These maps are not too vehicle heavy, and tend to have better spacing on the flags.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                I am surprised at the low support of Dawnbreaker, which seems to be to me the most balanced map (armor and infantry) of all.
                I imagine the Conquest Large version is losing it a lot of votes. I quite like it since we switched it to the "small" version but did not vote for it based on the large versions overkill vehicle layout.
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

You know, Operation Locker is really not that bad. Not as bad as Metro was. I actually like Locker. If you play the map right, there are PLENTY of ways to work around. It's all about finding that weak point in the the enemies defense and exploiting it. Yeah they could put a squad at every entrance, but if you play like I do, you test each one until you hit that sweet spot and plow right through! Just wait for your enemy to blink and catch him nappin'!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                  [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                  [support]

Comment

Voted:

Dawnbreaker

+ If you fight as Inf in and around the parking structures it actually gets interesting, rather than just the flags. Plus it's Urban and a bit of a change from some of the maps

- Snipers camping on the roofs

Gullin Peaks

+ Good infantry combat, reasonable flow between flags, interesting sight lines with the rice paddies

- Helos can get annoying if you don't deal with them

Gulf of Oman

- Always liked the map and once the sandstorm kicks in the dynamic changes drastically plus it's very atmospheric

- No real negatives per se, however if you are US on that map and get stuck on the beach flags you're going to have a bad time. Flag flow could be better, needs more 'middle' flags

Operation Firestorm

+ Again, quite liked the BF3 version and I think it was somewhat underated for Inf. You could certainly contribute to the team in any Inf role, not as armour dependent as some make out. Interesting lighting on the new version and more environmental detail and cover.

- Obviously very linear

Rogue Transmission

+ Interesting if somewhat weird flag layout, actually works well as a combined arms map if played right. One of my "bring out the Scar H DMR maps"

- None I can think of other than the slightly dodgy Chinese UCB position

Siege of Shanghai

+ A good urban map with some interesting features and verticality

- Needs more enterable buildings for infantry

Zavod

+ Good infantry map, interesting features, lots of cover, nice terrain

- Can turn into a bit of a grinder in the centre if people allow it

Comment

I like locker and flood zone ! :P

Locker is actually one of my favorite :P (Ok if you end up with one attack line with teams on both side isn't not that fun) but when everyone is all over the place it's awesome :D

Comment

I like most of the maps for various reasons, but here's a handful that I voted for.

Zavod
                        PROS: Decent cover and flanking routes through the woods on the sides of the map. If you're trying to get to the enemy's back flag to cause a ruckus and shut down their armor (which I like to do), you can slip through the woods and avoid the chaos in the center of the map. Also, the bunker flag is cool and it makes ya think about your approach to get inside. There have been a few times where I've told my guys to avoid the front door and go in through the top, as to not trip the lasers and scream to everybody inside that we're there to crash their party. Little things like that, which alot of people don't really think about. Just like the metal detectors on Locker and Dawnbreaker. Use the environment to your advantage. Set up an ambush point and listen for somebody to barrel through those lasers or metal detectors, then SURPRISE!

CONS: The center of the map tends to turn into a meatgrinder - which is why I try to avoid those flags when I squad lead. Also, pesky snipers and DMR folks who like to camp on the roofs of those center flags. Also, once the enemy takes the F flag (the back flag with the radio tower), it can be a pain to get it back because of that radio tower.

Dawnbreaker
                        PROS: It's an urban map and a nice change of pace. It's actually pretty fun at times and options for different "lanes" up the map. You got the waterside, the center street between A and B, and then the far street that runs along B up to E. The buildings can provide excellent defense positions and vantage points.

CONS: Snipers on the roofs of the tall buildings. Armor and AA that like to camp on the upper level overlooking the A flag. The C flag (bridge) is just too open. Little cover and you're fairly exposed when capping it.

Guilin Peaks
                        PROS: More infantry based combat. Rice paddies offer good flanking routes and sight lines. Some good overwatch positions on some of the flags for a LMG or even a crack-shot with a DMR or sniper rifle - in the case of covering an advance to cap, or defending.

CONS: I'm with Wicks on this one. The helicopters can be troublesome if you don't deal with them

Dragon Pass
                        PROS: You can corner the enemy team and make life difficult for them, via capping most of the back flags. Also, pretty cool terrain and some intense combat.

CONS: It's a tough map with all the armor and cornering the enemy team is somewhat tough to do. It can be done, but it's grueling sometimes. Also, the E flag and D flag are super tough to cap sometimes with the swarm of armor and infantry that roll in on you.

Rogue Transmission
                        PROS: There's a few decent flanking routes. The hills provide pretty good cover to move in on D. Also, harassing enemy armor with choke points is pretty fun on this map because there's several opportunities.

CONS: If you don't get that D flag, the enemy gets the attack chopper and becomes a pest. Snipers in the hills and camping on the towers are a nuisance.

Lancang Dam
                        PROS: The D flag is pretty fun to hold, as the buildings can provide some decent cover. Just gotta watch the stairs. Holding the enemy's back flag (A or E) provides a great opportunity to shut down enemy armor, or at least slow their advance.

CONS: The C flag (the island) is a death trap. You're pretty exposed and it's a chore to hold that flag. I personally think it can be easily done with two squads, thus having more eyes and man power to cover all sides of the island.

Altai Range
                        PROS: With the way that the map is set up, the flags seem to circle the center flag with the radio tower. Cap all those outside flags and you've got the enemy cornered. Same can be done with any other combination on this map, I suppose. I personally think this map can be pretty fun with a killer squad of engies and an armor unit or two. Also, with how open this map is, you can have a recon in your squad, lazing targets from a good position and getting a fix on incoming armor from several directions.

CONS: The hills and mountains are a haven for snipers. The center flag with the radio tower turns into a grinder sometimes.

I have no thoughts on the Second Assault maps, since I don't have them yet (and why I've been kinda MIA lately).
                        |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Anything with very little armor...... Oh wait lol
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Battle for Quinling! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                              Battle for Quinling! :D
                              Shijia Valley

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse