What's YOUR Squad Leading style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's YOUR Squad Leading style?

I thought it would be fun to have those who care to share to let us know what is Your style when you Squad Lead? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are there certain maps you prefer to be SL, other you prefer to play as an SM. Finally, who have you learned the most from, about playing SL?

I'll start off.....

Style: Wishy Washy, it depends on what mood I'm in. There are times when I focus on constantly moving, having my squad focused on maintaining bleed (or trying to!) and others (depending on the map) when I prefer to sit on a particularly important flag and only move off if bleed can't be maintained by the rest of the team. My primary concern is not how well my squad score, but which team has bleed. Bleed in itself will dictate how I Squad Lead. I usually tend to use heavy comms, but not as well or focused as some of the more skilled Squad Leaders. I've always said that my perfect round is one as an SL where my team wins, and I go 0-0.

Strengths: 1. Taking advantage of the fact that I'm not the type of player who always wins 1-1 engagements. When I play SL, I tend to play, as an individual, more conservatively, realizing the importance of maintaining a spawn point. 2. Perfectly willing to follow whatever order, great or ill-advised, put forth by whoever was willing to take the CO role, although I will suggest alternatives for the more questionable orders.

Weaknesses: Losing team tickets due to my desire to turn bleed to my side's advantage will sometimes cause me to keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Best maps to SL: Paracel Storm, Oman, Firestorm, and Lancang Dam = lots of air and vehicle assets to remove from the theater.

Worst maps to SL: Rogue Transmission = I just don't like this map.

SL's who I've learned from:
    thegreatnardini = Has a plan, knows what he wants (well usually).
    Crux = Expects tight squad play, received more revives in 2142 than most medium sized clans.
    Pfeil22 = Taught us how to compete in 6v6 and 8v8 scrims.
    LordMeatwad = The odds are never too high to make an attempt (well usually)

Your turn....
    |TG-6th|FYAH29
    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Re: What's YOUR Squad Leading style?

Style: Blunt yet outside the box. I constantly keep an eye on my map and call out hostiles around my own squad even when they are on another flag or near by me. I am NEVER with the main force when they all attack/defend a flag and when I see a squad or two moving towards or defending a flag. I switch off my attack route and head to another flag. If our team is pinned on one flag or route. (Metro or Locker) I watch the map and wait for an opening then direct towards that opening. Just like my old days of 2142... I would sit back and wait till I see a gap, then cloak through it.... till the commander spots me.

Strengths: I am very sneaky and elusive, very. I know when and when not to engage, and for the own safety of my squad I will hold fire and let enemies literally walk over/past me. Then move to the flag rather then killing them. Also, I am keen to the map, when sniping as a SL. I do nothing more then sit back and counter snipe and spot, little do people know, that I barely ever capture flags unless needed. I let my squad mates do all the capping and killing.

Weaknesses: Armor... My only weakness.

Best maps to SL: Any that don't have more then 4 pieces of armor per side. But I would say Shanghai, Flood Zone, Dawn Breaker are top of my list.

Worst maps to SL: Altai Range. Alot of open range with DMR and Sniper users whom keep me stuck in one corner. Not enough bushes to hide in.

You know what... Barely often do I follow a SL, often I am Squad Leading... \
    Im not being a snob or anything but I like the level of responsibility, since BF2 I have always been a squad leader.
    Zhohar = would be the only one I would place because of his quick responses and time and he knew how to keep people together.
    Please Be Warned...
    If you see me... Im never alone....
    My Soldiers Follow and are Loyal.... Problem is... you can't see me....

Comment

Interesting thread!

Style: Joo must do vat I say! I'm a pretty hands-on SL (and anyone who's dealt with me in PR can affirm). I usually assign kits, vehicles (or NO vehicles), and roles to every squad member. I like to task everyone with an objective too; i.e. you two defend this hallway, you stay back and provide cover, and medic keep yourself alive to revive anyone that goes down. My favorite thing to do is be on the defensive, preferably outnumbered against multiple attacking squads. There's nothing more fun than being a royal pain in the backside and holding a flag close to the enemy main, forcing them to devote resources and manpower in an attempt to root your squad out.

Strengths: 1. Getting the squad to work together. I think one of the hardest things about BF4, especially when working with pubbies, is getting everyone on the same page.

Weaknesses: Micromanaging and hyper-focusing on an objective. Sometimes I'll be so concerned about taking/retaking a flag rather than focus on a more appropriate objective. I also tend to have strategies that I fall back on time and time again. They may work, but if you figure them out and you're on the other team then my plan's hosed from the start...

Best maps to SL: Dawnbreaker, Paracel Storm, Lancang Dam, Shanghai. Lots of defensible positions for your squad to dig in, hide from armor/air and wreck havok.

Worst maps to SL: Altai Range. It's very difficult to hold onto a flag and feels like whack-a-mole with little strategery involved. And of course Locker and Metro, no point in even planning for those maps, although they can be fu... :icon_lol:

Dirtboy. The PR guru himself
      Wickens. Has even less patience than me, believe it or not :p
      All my other 6th brethren

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Great idea!

Style: I like to play defense whenever possible. If I can find an important flag and sit on it all round then I'm happy. I don't micromanage my squadmembers, but I do expect them to call out threats.

Strengths: Lots of communication, lots of flexibility.

Weaknesses: Too little guidance sometimes. Hate assaulting flags.

Best maps to SL: Maps with lots of distance between flags. Maps with few flags. That's why Siege of Shanghai is a favorite.

Worst maps to SL: Maps with lots of armor and/or close flags. Zavod comes to mind.

SL's who I've learned from: Been SL'ing since BF2. Learned a lot from so many over the years.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Style: I'm typically a defensive minded SL and like Tempus I'm just fine defending single flag during a round. In fact it's a source of pride when we can hold a flag from beginning to end. Also like Tempus I don't micromanage. I expect my squaddies know what they are doing. Occasionally I'll call for a specific kit if the situation warrants it but for the most part my squaddies can choose what suits their play style.

Strengths: Tactical awareness, Comms and providing intel for the squad on a constant basis.

Weaknesses:

Best maps to SL: Its more like favorite flags. Love the A flag on Zavod. The A & B flags on Golmud. D Flag on Guinlan, G and E flags on Dragon Pass. Like another poster I really like trying to hold on to the enemies back flag. This ties up armor and many times the enemies best squads

Worst maps to SL: Not a big fan of Paracel. Nor the new (is it really new) Metro.

SL's who I've learned from: First and foremost influence would have to be JohnCanavar. Founder of the 1st MIP. We would drill two or three times a week. He was a believer in SOP's and devised a system where the squad was split into two fire times, Alpha and Bravo. Each FT member had a specific role, kit and weapons layout. Of course as a group we debated and changed the roles at times but it really worked. Our specialty was defense and squads going up against the 1st MIP always had a tough battle on their hands. All of the 1st developed as SL's and to this day guys like Drunknsoul, Finestyle, Coridon, Emale remain as key influencers in my SL activity.

My first inclination is to look for a squad led by a member of the 1st MIP but Iadmire and welcome a chance to play under lots of BF4 players today, including Crux, Mantis, Lunn, York, BlackSheep, Photometric, Rockford, Cuervo, E-Leader, Dredge...gosh the list goes on and on and I know I must've missed some key guys. We have so many good players and SL's we are really blessed as a community. And...I like to think I'm one of the SL's people like to play under. My style is very steady and I think players like that.
          Last edited by Grunt 70; 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Style= Flexible: Try to spawn on SL and keep your kits fluid, if you notice the squad is missing a kit needed bring it in, if you want armor bring it in, if you have suggestions make one. I think running SL is not about barking orders but guiding your squad from sit reps by keeping an eye on the map and knowing where you are needed most.

Strengths: I try to be a safe spawn, I go for the flag that dosnt already have Sl on them, always marking are objective for awareness and maximum points, showing and explaining to pubbies how it is in our best interest to work together, I can see the future ;)

Weakness: Having to check the map to know which direction to call out enemies, " we got enemy fire comming from... UH hold on a min let me check my map, oh ya In the north hill!"
            Most nights I am tired or bored and just on to pass the time with my TG friends, but when I am in the mood hold on tight cause my squad will rock it.
            Sometimes I speak backwards like yoda and or get my tongue twisted when trying to use comms and I am sure is a little confusing. " We have guys bad over by errr BAD GUYS! SUIT ELIZABETH SUIT!"

Best map=any
            Worst map=any

Sl I have learned from: Mostly the bad ones (What not to do) Like when a Pubbie SL takes a full buggy 100 mph into a flag with two tanks and parks right in front of one, OH! NO!
            I pick up a little bit from everyone here at TG it's always a learning experience :)

Comment

I'll put it this way, i'm a terrible squad leader, I like to pull the trigger too much to be a good squad leader, I'm a great ANYTHING else, I'll snipe, I'll sneak, i'll run medic or ucav nutjob, but I like to get into fights, I tend to give away my position when I see a target of opportunity

i've learned that i like holding a single flag, but when my team isn't taking enough flags i like to move around and take the flags where there's no opposition, let's the firefighters have their fun at the crazy busy objectives, i'd rather sneak around and take all the others while they are busy, learned that from marpla a long time ago

Comment

I was actually working on something about this very topic. I will provide a preview as it sums up my feeling on squad leading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The art of getting a good tan...I mean effective squad leading.

I just want to clear the air, yes I do bring a beach chair to a battle when I squad lead.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT because I am lazy. No, no, no, quite the opposite, I just prefer my squad mates to do all of the hard .... I mean get all the glory. Also, I have a tan to work on, it's not easy to keep up with my idol, George Hamilton.

It's hard damn work to point to a flag and say, "son, get up and go get it". Also, my finger gets tired pulling that trigger back, why put myself through all of that stress and exertion? Me? I am more of a guy to throw a box of band aids down on the ground and say "Suck it up son". "If you don't stop crying about getting shot, I will give you something to cry about."

Why should I get in the middle of it and get all shot and stuff. No, I have dinner plans my friend.

I prefer to sit back in my cozy beach chair, sip on my iced tea, and let an unlimited supply of sacrificial lambs....I mean valued soldiers charge head on to death and glory.

Why worry about getting into the middle of battle and getting shot? That just slows me down from going to a flag and finding the best spot to catch some rays. Oh yes, almost forgot, don't forget your sunscreen.

The only complaint I have is that when someone dies, I have to get up from my carefully selected spot, go over and give them "the paddles" to get their lazy ass up and get back into the fight. "Excuse me, there's no sleeping on the job, son".

Running around, looking for people who want to shoot me? Hah! Not this boy, I am sipping margarita's watching people sprinting madly around me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Style: It depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll go for a more aggressive approach if I feel neccesary and storm flags. Sometimes I'll have my squad sit on one flag and dig in. I don't like to play whack-a-mole. I try to keep an eye on the big picture and go where we're needed. If we're losing an adjacent flag that's key and there's little/no friendlies there, I'll pull my guys off our position and go support. If there's enough man power on a flag, I'll move my squad to another flag. No sense in 3 squads gobbing up on a flag. If we have bleed in our favor, I'll hold whatever flag I've designated. Or if that flag is a key flag.

I'm pretty flexible. I don't consider myself an ace squad leader, so I'm always open to suggestions from other squad members - especially the ones who are more experienced. I give it my best. But I will maintain order when needed. If I got guys who are wandering off doing their own thing, they'll hear it. I'm all about cohesiveness and sticking together. Most of the time, I specify a list of kits I need and I leave it up to everybody to divy up who takes what. ("Ok guys, I need a couple engineers, a support, and a medic. Have at it") But if I need a kit for a certain situation, I will request it. Also, be aware of how many other kits we have in the squad. We don't need 3 recons, or 2 supports or a squad full of engineers. I like an even mix, depending on the situation. Same goes for vehicles. I'll request vehicles if I feel an asset is needed. I prefer that players clear vehicle usage with me first before just up and taking off. If we're in a situation where it's very obvious that we need armor support or air and one of my guys says "I'm gonna bring up a tank" or whatever - that's fine. If we don't need it and I don't request it, leave it there.

Strengths: Thinking outside of the box and trying to take the less direct route to a flag. Rather than hitting it head on, I'll tell my guys "Go far left...go far right....go in through the side, etc". Sometimes I'll split the squad into 2 fire teams (something I picked up from watching E-Male's videos and playing with him in a squad a couple times) and hit an objective from two different angles. I'm always in communication, calling things out and trying to be tactically aware. I like to dig in and request that everybody take up a position where they can cover possible breach points/entrances/whatever.

Weaknesses: Hammering the same flag over and over when we're getting chewed up on it and not knowing when to fall back. I catch myself doing that sometimes. Being in the fight too much and rushing a flag with my squad, rather than hanging back a bit to provide a safe spawn point.

Best maps to SL: Zavod, Rogue Transmission, Guilin Peaks, Lancang

Worst maps to SL: Maps with ALOT of distance. Paracel Storm, Dragon Pass, Golmud Railway

I pick up a little bit from everyone, even when they're not squad leading. I'm always trying to improve my squad leading and play style and learning different things from different folks that I play with here helps.
                  |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I think you should also add.

SL's you enjoy following:

To give credit due to those who take effort to make the experience worth while. There are some Good ones still active and some old ones we miss.
                    Please Be Warned...
                    If you see me... Im never alone....
                    My Soldiers Follow and are Loyal.... Problem is... you can't see me....

Comment

Originally posted by E_Leader View Post
                      I think you should also add.

SL's you enjoy following:

To give credit due to those who take effort to make the experience worth while. There are some Good ones still active and some old ones we miss.
                      Agreed

A few off the top of my head - CappuccinoBob, Dredge, E-Male, Lunn, Namebot, Dirtboy back in the BF3 days (He was a riot to play with, in general. Wonder whatever happened to him. I don't see him around anymore)......there's alot of folks here that I've followed at one time or another who have made the experience fun and worthwhile to me. Can't think of em all right this second.
                      |TG|FullMetalDrummer

sigpic

Comment

I think we all miss Dirtboy for one thing or another. He's deployed out in the mid east I believe. I've seen him on Ts a couple of times. He hoped on during the beta to chat last I think.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
                          I think we all miss Dirtboy for one thing or another. He's deployed out in the mid east I believe. I've seen him on Ts a couple of times. He hoped on during the beta to chat last I think.
                          Ya know.....now that you mention that, I vaguely remember somebody awhile back mentioning something that he was deployed somewhere. That would explain his absence, I guess.

Anyway, back on topic.
                          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

sigpic

Comment

Awesome topic!

Firstly, as in life, I think that a good leader can make or break your gaming experience - even if you aren't on a winning side. I truly believe and experience this consistently at TG. Some of the best games / nights I have ever had was with complete random group of players and a good squad leader building a sense of teamwork. Then hearing people sing praises about our community and server. So I think that this topic is extremely important and I hope everyone enjoys the feedback and comments that everyone is sharing.

Style:
                            I have a few different styles, but generally I prefer to pick a flag or two and defend a position... to have a sense of ownership. This can sometimes lead to a stubbornness to recognizing when I am over-run. "We can (or should) take this back!".

Defensive - Take and hold back-flags or choke points - pay attention to the bleed, often others are not.

However, I am also often Aggressive... I do like to be in the thick of things. Luring unprotected armor into unsafe areas to cut them down, for example, is a very appealing opportunity.

Knowing when to be on the defense and when to be more aggressive takes practice. It is very easy to get caught up in the flow of a game and forget to watch your six.

Strengths:
                            Patience & Coaching
                            Infantry tactics
                            Situational Awareness & Adaptability
                            Active Communication

Weaknesses:
                            Switching from SM to SL - it can sometimes take me several deaths to realize that having myself in the heart of a firefight is not the best place to be for the squad. I die a lot. To compensate for this stubbornness, I often run with a mobile spawn beacon to keep the squad active. Nothing is worse than when you lose momentum and cohesion because your squad doesn't know where the insertion point or target is.

Armor - I know what it takes to run a good armor squad, but I don't enjoy it as much as managing infantry so I do not practice this enough.
                            Air - decent heli pilot and can sometimes use these assets to a squad's advantage, but I just leave this to the experts
                            Sniping - I am probably the worst player in the world with a sniper riffle. But I love my recon kit :)

Best Maps:
                            Anything but meat grinders. I am probably best when there is mix of everything with enough room to change up tactics a bit.

Learned (and still learning) From:
                            LuckyShot - sad he isn't active anymore... but those that remember Lucky's squad in BF2 and POE know what I am talking about. Best damn squads I have ever been in. (the 5th will live on in infamy)
                            theeAngelofDeath - probably the most similar to my own style... and we probably learned most of the same tricks from Lucky.
                            Rockford - ditto.
                            E-male (and most of the 1stMIP) - although different styles than mine, he always reminds me what a little more patience and reserve can do for a squad.
                            Mantis - thoughtful, careful, and precise. You thought he was just a good shot? Well, he will also out think you.
                            Beatnik
                            WhiskeySix
                            ... etc. - So many at TG are awesome.

Most enjoy following (and learning from):
                            Pretty much the list above including Lunnbelievable, Grunt, Fyah, ELeader, and anyone willing to get behind the SL wheel and take a stab at it. People just want direction and someone to follow into battle. So don't be afraid to jump in. This is what makes TG great in my opinion.
                            Last edited by cptCuervo; 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cptCuervo View Post
                              LuckyStrike - sad he isn't active anymore... but those that remember Lucky's squad in BF2 and POE know what I am talking about. Best damn squads I have ever been in. (the 5th will live on in infamy)
                              theeAngelofDeath - probably the most similar to my own style... and we probably learned most of the same tricks from Lucky.
                              You mean LuckyShot? Not to diss LuckyStrike, a long time member of TG, but Lucky would be disappointed. LOL

Thanks for the name drop.. Yes I learned, heck we all learned a lot from Lucky.. Which is why Rockford and I pretty much know each others movements like they are our own, they are the same. Which is pretty much flank, shoot them in the air, flank, shoot them in the ear. oh and defend your flag and let them come to you.

This thread is interesting, and I could go on for hours.. but I wont. The short and sweet of it.

Style:
                              Defensive - Take and hold 2 flags as my primary objective.

As you all know, I talk too much . . I shoot too much . . and die too much.

Strengths:
                              Communication is key, situational awareness & adaptability to current threats .. definitely something we learned from Lucky

Weaknesses:
                              See above.. (talk too much . . shoot too much . . die too much)

Armor - Although I used to abuse tanks and APCs in previous BF titles, I avoid them now.
                              Air - once again, in the BF1942 mod DesertCombat I used to fly all the time.. now my joystick collects dust in the bottom of my desk
                              Sniping - I hate snipers, therefore I avoid the tactic . . as Lucky would say " there is a better kit than sniper, any kit will do"

Best Maps:
                              Any of them

Way too many to list .. But LuckShot was/is probably the best leader I ever ran with.
                              In my opinion, if you are not learning something every round, then you are not getting better. You can even learn from the worst SL, by not doing what they do.
                              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                              E Pluribus Unum
                              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed