Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not mini-map?

Hi folks,

I tried the TG server the other night because it has what I'm looking for - squads that work together and communicate.

The biggest problem I ran into is lack of mini-map. When I died and spawned (which was often lol) I had no idea where I was with regards to the action. Basically I would spawn, say "where the hell am I now" and by the time I get my bearings I'm dead again.

So I would suggest turning the mini-map on just to help players get their bearings and able to rejoin the action efficiently since spawn points are all over the map.

Not sure if everyone knows this, but if you have two monitors you can setup the 2nd monitor to display the battlefield map entirely. So players with a 2nd monitor may already be enjoying an advantage when playing hardcore.

Just a thought...

Regards

Re: Why not mini-map?

We had that for a while, but with the "Hardcore" settings, it's not possible based upon game settings. If you have the minimap, it's not hardcore mode (most like real life) than the "normal" mode which is much more forgiving and unrealistic. Running closer to 'real life' settings, which is the basic foundation of our community, some things had to be sacrificed. You can hit "M" to see the map at any time, if you have time to look (which isn't always a given).

However, if you see my squad and join, we will make sure to help people with that through good comms and people willing to help.

Glad to see you're trying us out, stay awhile, it really grows on you here.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

I think the mini-map is a per server setting that can be tweaked. With the mini-map, when a teammate spots something it will show up, which is a efficient way to communicate. I noticed spots only show up for a brief moment on the main map, so it appears this was tweaked. I'm guessing this would be the same for the mini-map.

Comment

I felt the same way when I started playing here, mainly since BF3 hardcore had the minimap on and all the recon motion sensing gadgets are made useless without it. You get used to it though, and it's been brought up several times with the admins saying they decided it won't be turned on. I have one of my mouse buttons bound to the map. I bring it up all the time, and I don't miss the minimap anymore.

Also, the map in battlelog doesn't work in hardcore mode, so no one has an advantage there.

Comment

I would defer to those who actually make the settings, but I believe, that once you tweak, it is "Custom" and not "Hardcore". That is the difference.

42nd Recon

Comment

The problem with the mini-map is that there is no way to hide, there is no way to make a stealth assault, etc.

The game is already rather deathmatch-ish as it is now. If we always knew where the enemies were, the game would just be about twitch reflexes and not really about tactics.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

In summary the minimap gives you so much that is artificial and takes away so much that is real, hence we don't use it on the server.

Now, would I love a damn compass? Hell yeah!

Glad you found the server moloch16, keep plugging away without the minimap and communicating with your squad mates. After a while you might find you're glad it's not there.

Welcome to TG by the way.:icon16:

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                .....Now, would I love a damn compass? Hell yeah!
                I second that sentiment! I really miss the compass. I still have a little difficulty sometimes trying to get my bearings when I'm calling out targets or trying to direct movement or something. "We've got a full squad moving around the building over there.....the....uh....hang on, lemme pull up the map......the west building! Yes! Oh.....we're all dead." haha. Although, I'll try to use points in the environment to dictate direction. "Alpha side of the building...."etc. Sometimes, that's always not possible.

Anyway, back on topic. Welcome to TG, moloch16.
                |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Wicks;1828620]

Now, would I love a damn compass? Hell yeah!/QUOTE]

I third that staement!, I try to remember what flags are north, and a few maps I know but I constantly struggle to call out enemies direction, "Bad guys over by the Blue thingy" dose not always work and can be confusing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shane;1828711]
                    Originally posted by Wicks View Post

Now, would I love a damn compass? Hell yeah!/QUOTE]

I third that staement!, I try to remember what flags are north, and a few maps I know but I constantly struggle to call out enemies direction, "Bad guys over by the Blue thingy" dose not always work and can be confusing.
                    Imagine when it's Wicks making the calls, then it get REALLY confusing.... ;)

42nd Recon

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X