The Scah H Assault Rifle needs a buff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scah H Assault Rifle needs a buff

Ok, this is an opinion piece obviously but after using this weapon quite a bit I believe it could use a buff and that said boost to its performance would actually make it more functional, bring some much needed diversity to the AR class and actually positively effect general weapon balance.

Firstly I've always loved the Scar platform, RL and in games. I particularly like any kind of hard hitting battle rifle in games as I think it caters to a diversity of play. By that I mean rather than have all AR's be some slight variation on a theme, 5.56 and then only really differentiated by moderate degrees of accuracy and often wildly silly discrepancies in rates of fire, you have a true alternative, the battle rifle. This is generally a hard hitting, slightly slower ROF weapon, usually chambered in 7.62. It's stopping power and accuracy on single shot is often balanced by reduced magazine size, greatly increased recoil, lower manoeuvrability and slightly lower ROF. Examples would be the Scar H, G3 and FN Fal.

At present the Scar H suffers from the following, whilst only having the positive of increased damage.

- Accuracy. It's not a particularly accurate weapon in BF4 and coupled with the...

- Low bullet velocity....it's poor at engaging mid to long range targets

Think about that for a minute. You have a heavy hitting 7.62 calibre battle rifle, specifically designed for single shot ranged engagements that basically sends rounds down range so slowly that it renders itself ineffective. The very thing the platform is designed to do, the thing that differentiates it from the more mobile 5.56 assault rifles, it fails at.

- Small magazine size. It has a 20 round magazine with a potential additional round in the chamber. Another strike against this weapon or rather another reason that it should receive the inherent benefits that form the other side of the coin.

- Recoil. The Scar H has considerable recoil in comparison to an awful lot of weapons in the AR class. Not only is the vertical recoil significant, it has a considerable degree of almost equal lateral recoil, again rendering it ineffective at medium range upwards using controlled bursts.

So lets summarise that. It is rendered ineffective at range despite its calibre due to ridiculously low muzzle velocity. It is suboptimal at medium range using controlled automatic fire, due to both muzzle velocity and recoil characteristics. It is less than optimal at CQB due to mag size and ROF.

There has never been a situation in game for me at least where I have ever said to myself, "You know, if I had been using the Scar H then I would have got the job done and survived". Despite loving the platform there have been countless occasions where I have said, "If only I had been using the M416, L85, Ace23 or AEK then I would have pulled that off". That's sad and makes no sense in the context of the way BF weapons work. Don't get me wrong, I love the gun and still use it semi regularly but it's based off 'Brand loyalty' nothing else. I do fine with it, I just do better in every scenario with one of the all rounders like the M416, which when modded appropriately is phenomenal.

That's the bottom line really, the Scar H suffers all the negative balances that you would expect from a battle rifle but is hobbled as far as the real advantages it receives. In general use I usually see people slapping a suppressor on it to mitigate some of the vertical recoil (which drops the muzzle velocity even further) and using them as 'one and done CQB guns (near enough, it's a hard hitting round). That makes no sense when you look at what the weapon is designed for in real life and what the AR field of weapons is crying out for, a restricted but punchy ranged weapon.

If there was a truly effective battle rifle in the AR class I believe we would see a marked reduction in the use of DMR's. For instance as SL I often find myself in need of something I can stand off the objective with. Dependent on situation I need a weapon that isn't necessarily great in CQB but is good at hitting point targets at medium range with decent damage. I'll use this in scenarios where we have capped a flag and I want to push my squad to the next objective but it is defended or at least contested. As such I will move into the dead ground between the two flags and try and get 'eyes on'. Once I have an idea of the enemy's disposition I will send the squad to assault, passing me in the dead ground and then look to engage any enemy that may spot them on their approach, whether it's snipers, marksman (DMR) or LMG/assault etc. The idea being to facilitate their movement onto the flag. Presently the only option I have, the only tool, is a DMR and so I generally equip the Scar HSCV. That shouldn't be necessary. I should have other options and the Scar H/G3 type battle rifle with appropriate characteristics should be available for that purpose. As it stands the Scar H is poorly equipped to do the job it's actually designed for and I believe the AR class and the game itself suffers as a result.

Thoughts?

Re: The Scah H Assault Rifle needs a buff

Ironically I, too, love the SCAR H and all it represents. But I typically actually use it for mid-range engagements, often on single shot and have a lot of success with it. To be honest though, and not to sound like an ass, but I can be pretty successful with just about any of the rifles or carbines, so take that with a grain of salt :P
    TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Yeah, that's my point to some degree. I can do better at medium to long range with an M416 as opposed to a Scar H (and I'm talking actual medium range, ie 200-400, not BF4 ranges which are short). The point is it's actual stats and performance make it a sub-optimum mid range rifle. For engagements at range you need bullet velocity to some degree, otherwise you are leading your shots by such a margin and often reducing your rate of fire to render the weapon ineffective in that job. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem getting the job done with this platform, I just get the job done more efficiently with multiple other platforms. Now taking into account the negatives this weapons suffers it should do better in it's prescribed areas.

Comment

That's an interesting thought. I typically run it silenced, and often use it for counter-sniping funnily enough. Not at truly long ranges - I use cover and get in reasonably close (50-100m) and pick people off with it on single shot. I find it to be a pretty good all-around platform with the right setup. I'm not entirely sure if I'm better or worse with it than other ARs, but I think that's relatively easy to check...

So here's my top 3 rifles:

SCAR-H 0.88 kpm, 16.71% accuracy
        M416 0.96 kpm, 14.01% Accuracy
        Ace52 0.98 kpm, 13.78% accuracy

All pretty close, and the differences probably easily explained by the different roles I use them for overall. It's an interesting question.

Comment

Yup, and you also have to factor in the fact that how you play drastically affects stats like accuracy for a given weapon. In fact I would argue that for most weapons 'accuracy', if you're the sort of teamplayer that uses suppressing fire, is a poor measure. For example if you use suppression, at all, your accuracy stats for a given weapon mean nothing. However, the suppression you put out may have saved a teamates life or facilitated the movement that gained the kill for someone else. The only indicator I can see for accuracy, assuming 2 things, that you a) use suppression and b) aim for the head, is potentially Kills/Headshots. Even that is incomplete.

Getting back to the Scar's characteristics. Think how many times you see the Scar win a stand up contest with the Ace 23/M416/L85 etc where the Scar doesn't have the initial drop on it's opponent. In my experience, on both sides of the equation (equal skill assumed) it is rare. Don't get me wrong, get behind people and it's good night, it hits like a sledgehammer, but in almost every circumstance you could do the same thing, better, with another AR.

The way to improve the Scar is to slightly increase ROF, up the accuracy and give muzzle velocity a considerable increase, up there with the M416 et al. Those logical buffs will still be offset by the mag size and recoil. Hey presto you have an intermediate range battle rifle (as it is designed to be) with natural plusses to its minuses, as opposed to what you have now, an also ran that is actually beaten out by all the top tier AR's in every field.

Comment

The SCAR is, statistically, significantly better in Normal mode than it is in TG's Hardcore.

For example: in Normal, the SCAR is a four shot kill at max range while the M416, for example, is a six shot kill at max range - a fairly significant difference in bullets-to-kill (50%). In Hardcore, the SCAR is a three shot kill at max range while the M416 is a four shot kill - less of a difference (33%). Basically that means the SCAR gets comparatively worse when used in Hardcore.

As far as accuracy goes, the SCAR is virtually the same as the M416, although it does have significantly higher recoil.

Using Symthic for the stats.
            sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

These are all good points. For me, I rarely suppress using assault rifles so the accuracy stats should be fairly accurate. My playstyle doesn't involve a lot of full-frontal assaults on heavily fortified positions :D

The problem with the improvements you've noted is that if you increase the ROF, then the muzzle climb will increase. If you increase the ROF and decrease the kick, then basically you've got a supercharged version of every other assault rifle (similar ROF, similar kick, better accuracy and higher damage). I think the one thing the SCAR needs is the increase muzzle velocity. The accuracy could be a little better - I'm pretty sure they decreased its accuracy in a patch somewhere along the way because it used to be more than it is now I think. But with increasing the muzzle velocity and accuracy, you put it right back where it belongs in the spectrum of assault rifles.

Comment

I'm still working with a pointy stick . . .
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
                  The SCAR is, statistically, significantly better in Normal mode than it is in TG's Hardcore.

For example: in Normal, the SCAR is a four shot kill at max range while the M416, for example, is a six shot kill at max range - a fairly significant difference in bullets-to-kill (50%). In Hardcore, the SCAR is a three shot kill at max range while the M416 is a four shot kill - less of a difference (33%). Basically that means the SCAR gets comparatively worse when used in Hardcore.

As far as accuracy goes, the SCAR is virtually the same as the M416, although it does have significantly higher recoil.

Using Symthic for the stats.
                  Actually the big thing to look at is Time To Kill (ttk) which is a mixture of the Rate of Fire and the damage of each weapon. In that regard, it's a mixed bag.

Close Range - SCAR H is markedly better than the M416 in HardCore, but only slightly better with the exception of the 8-12m range in vanilla.

Medium range - SCAR H is marginally better for some of medium range, but then slower than M416 for the latter part of it. The two are basically identical in vanilla over medium range

Long range - SCAR H and M416 are identical in HC, the SCAR H has a slight edge in vanilla.

The short of it is it all depends on the distance!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X