AR 160. opinions??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR 160. opinions??

been trying different weapons for my assault class, and just unlocked this one(AR-160). looking at its stats it seems a real destroyer, but im not for sure. i dont get a lot of playtime during the week, so spending lots of time on a weapon that sucks would be a real waste for me. been rocking the ak-12 up to this point. the only thing ive left to unlock is a flash hinder, so its time to move on. is the 160 a good weapon to move to or are there better options?

Re: AR 160. opinions??

I'm still working on unlocking it myself. On paper, it looks great. However as previous weapons have worked out in BF, that may not be the case in use. It looks to be a slighter better SCAR-H with a better magazine capacity (30 rounds vs. 20 rounds). So if it turns out to be a tighter spread and a better stability, then it might just replace my SCAR-H for ranged heavy engagements.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Started playing with a bit last night. I like it better than the scar-h. It feels extremely precise, I found running with iron sight it was on point accurate. RoF is little slow for tight CQB, but I found it was great for most engagements. LevelCap has done a pretty good review of it showcasing the pros and con's. Whether it fits your play style is the real question. You would probably find it a nice transition from the AK-12 it hits harder and has a longer range.
      sigpic

Comment

my limited playtime with it felt similar to what you describe. anything within the limitations of the iron sight seemed to get hosed, but iron sights and red dots arent good for discerning mid and long range performance, or i cant tell at least. wish it were burst fire, but the whole point of this rifle may be that its an auto AR-platform.

Comment

Muzzle climb is much worse than the scar
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

ok, im revising my opinion of this weapon to reflect the fact that it is savage and evil. those are good things. i really like this rifle, its a great all around weapon. i dont feel at a grave disadvantage going into an area of any size with it. which is really nice.

Comment

Had a chance to play with it a little bit after unlocking it, the other night. It's not bad. Ven is right though. It's got some gnarly muzzle climb. But if you compensate for it, via physical mouse control, it's not a bad rifle. Pretty accurate.
              |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I havent tried it much since I unlocked it (almost as soon as it got added into the game) since its pretty glitched. Ive only got about 10 kills on it to unlock the RDS so I havent really put it through its paces but given the muzzle climb it has; Id rather use the harder hitting, lower RoF SCAR-H.

Comment

It's a weird one, no doubt about that, not sure what they are trying to achieve with this platform. Don't get me wrong, despite its peculiarities I like the weapon, looks cool, quite fun to use. However... It has equal lateral recoil after the first shot which isn't great. Essentially that makes it bounce around by the time you start hitting rounds 3-4 onwards of a string. It also has pretty phenomenal vertical recoil as Ven stated. Essentially its shot spread is much like the Scar H with a couple of differences. One it has more vertical recoil, which doesn't make much sense in the simplified BFD4 ballistics universe when you consider it's chambered in 5.56 (iirc) as opposed to the 7.62 of the Scar H. It's first shot is more accurate than the Scar, can't prove it with stats at this time but I've used it a far bit and it definitely drills the first shot much tighter than the Scar. That being said it does less damage so the benefit is marginal.

So stacked against the Scar you have:

+ Much faster muzzle velocity (it appears, particularly when you take into account the Scar's woeful MV). This is important as regards accuracy as it's no good having an AR platform with accuracy as a selling point for medium to long range shooting if the muzzle velocity is so low that any moving target is hard to hit

+ Better first shot accuracy

+ Increased magazine size

vs

- Lower damage due to calibre

- Higher vertical recoil

~ Similar horizontal recoil pattern, rendering less than optimum accuracy wise at longer ranges when firing bursts.

Like I say, it's a cool gun, I like using it but where does it fit, what does it do better than other AR's. Personally I'd argue, nothing. At medium to long range the 416 kills it on accuracy and reloads faster plus I think it beats it on ROF too. The AEK beats it hands down on ROF if not long range but you don't choose the 'Crazy Ivan' for long range work anyway. The Ace 23 beats it as an all-rounder. The Sar beats it on long range auto accuracy, though it has a slower ROF. The Scar beats it on damage with lower vertical recoil.

It needs tweaking to make it anything other than a choice of sentiment. If it was me I would up ROF slightly, reduce vert recoil to below the Scar to denote calibre and skim a bit off the lateral recoil. I would also make it ever so slightly faster manoeuvrability wise when ADS, like a carbine, to reference it's seemingly compact nature (based on it's representation in game, it appears to be a touch longer than an M4 in RL).

Comment

perhaps its just my playstyle, but i get butchered using the SCAR. and im turning in my best performances ever with the AR160. i've always been the odd duck though.
                    strangely enough as much as folks rave about the 416, i had to go back to using the AK-12. i found it really tough to achieve any success with the 416.

Comment

Jhemp81 you're absolutely right of course, the most important trait of any platform is how it fits your play and shooting style. Personally I like the notion of the Scar platform, as I've mentioned in another thread, however it just isn't a competitive gun for me, much like yourself. The AK12 is a great rifle, mainly due to it's superb controllability, which is where it's comparatively low ROF actually benefits it. If you like the AK12 have you used the CZ much, quite similar but a higher ROF, another one of my preferred platforms, particularly for medium range + work.

Comment

Keep in mind the gun you chooe has to fit you and your play style... I dont really like to fret too much over the weapon stats, and just pick the gun I feel more comfortable using. Ive been getting a kick out of the M16A4 and M4 latelly for example. Guns I rarelly see in the Battlefield due to the burst mode. However for those mid to long range engagements, Ive found burst really helps me reacquire the target before I press the trigger again cutting down on ammo consumption and improving hits on target.

Comment

i think the ar160 is working out so well for me because of my tendency to gut-shoot people. round 1 in the gut, 2&3 are in the chest or head due to muzzle climb.

Edit: i blame this tendency on old school fps games, back when shooting someones finger did as much damage as a head shot.
                          Last edited by JHemp81; 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

my "final" assessment of this weapon is that its savage and evil within medium range, but the muzzle climb kills this rifle at longer ranges. it looks like the weapon could be fit with attachments that might make this a good single shot rifle at long range, ACOG/angled grip/muzzlebrake, but at this point you may as well use a DMR. i dont have the 2x magnifier yet, but im thinking the 2x with a stubby grip/ muzzle brake will be devastating within the limitations of the 2x sight. or i might be completely wrong, hard to tell.

Comment

@Jhemp personally I wouldn't bother with the angled grip, I think you're more likely to have success with the stubby as you go on to suggest. Angled foregrip will reduce first shot recoil and the AR160 already has pretty low first shot recoil. It's the 2nd and 3rd shot in the string that see this weapon climb vertically as per the stats and my own experience. It's definitely a tap fire weapon, very short bursts or alternatively use it as an intermediate platform like a super short range DMR with the CQB bonus of going full auto if you get caught out. Muzzle brake would certainly help with vertical recoil on the 2nd and 3rd shots in a burst but will reduce your overall accuracy on automatic which negates some of its mid to long range effectiveness, assuming you're using burst not single shot.

I might try a heavy barrel on it at some point just to see what happens.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X