AT weapons vs. infantry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT weapons vs. infantry

I am not trying to start an argument, but clarify one issue. If you are surprised by infantry and you have an AT weapon enabled, I believe we are all in agreement that using that is acceptable in personal defense. While it is common practice to use an AT weapon against infantry (see Blackhawk Down) in other situations, is it an acceptable practice here or do we just put it in the same category as ditching a helo as a personal transport or bunny hopping? I don't mind saying "it's acceptable...live with it" but I was just hoping for a standard to be decided.

From a realism standpoint, I do see using it in any situation as realistic, however when I am killed by one by a felow TGer as it did last night, my first reaction is ..."isn't that frowned on?" I can never remember.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Re: AT weapons vs. infantry

Didn't we just have this conversation recently in another thread? I searched, but couldn't find it. As I posted in that thread, I use RPGs in a multitude of situations, I am not going to go into all those again.

I believe it was said in TS last night, there is no rule against using RPGs to kill infantry.. Running around with one as your main weapon is frowned upon. If I was running around with one on my shoulder firing them off at every target I saw, that would raise a red flag to the admin team. But just because I killed you again with one, dont mean I am spamming them.
    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
    E Pluribus Unum
    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I don't do it. I don't let my squads do it. But. Sometimes you have an anti vehicle weapon out and suddenly infantry are right in front of you engaging you. Or a squad mate and one must react as quickly as possible.

In reality, I find it unlikely that an engineer class would be running around with an supply class with unlimited ammo. Shooting anti vehicle weapons at infantry. These platforms are heavy.

Comment

This comes up every now and again. There are no rules regarding explosive weapons beyond the guidance we take from the primer. As Angel points out, the rule if thumb is don't be spamming them or using as a primary weapon against infantry. This is meant as guidance as there are many situation's that they are the proper tool against infantry.

If you find at any point in a round that someone is using these weapons incorrectly contact an Admin, we will do our best to help and make a decision based upon what is happening during the round in question.

I hope this clears up the muddy Waters a little for you Photo.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
          Didn't we just have this conversation recently in another thread? I searched, but couldn't find it. As I posted in that thread, I use RPGs in a multitude of situations, I am not going to go into all those again.
          It was in this thread, Angel. I remember I also posted in it about this particular subject. Had to go into my profile and find it in my feed/post log thing.

AT weapon spam against infantry drives me bonkers. I remember one night last week or so, we had a pub who was intentionally doing this during some rounds of Domination. It was pretty late in the night and I think all our admins were logged off for the night by that point. Had anyone been on, I would've reported the RPG pub. Unless there was somebody there and I just didn't know. I think Acreo was there with me. We were the only ones left in the server, with a pub on our team.....up against 4 other pubs from another clan/community. It was actually pretty fun - minus the rocket spam player - and we won about 3 out of 5 rounds or something like that. Teamwork FTW!
          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

If someone has good cover (wall, corner, whatever), and you have an RPG... well, use the tools you are given. You can say the same thing about killing someone by tossing c'4 off a roof, using defib's etc.

But if it is just blatant misuse of weapons and ruins the game play on the server, then it is probably not a good idea. Does it feel like you are being an A-hole? Then stop.

This is how I always saw it... using your best judgement is usually a safe way to go.

Comment

I think it is very hard to spam any type of AT in conquest due to the fact that you live longer for the most part . SRAWs though are beautiful anti-sniper weapons when they're behind cover or on a rooftop out of sight, though it requires a reasonable amount of skill.
              [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
              [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

throw an ammo box down and repeatedly fire them down a hall as a primary weapon....you have the admins attention.
                Fire at a guy behind cover......fine.
                Kill a guy that surprises you while you are going to shoot at a tank....fine.

Cuervo said it best....If you feel like an A hole, don't do it lol
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                  throw an ammo box down and repeatedly fire them down a hall as a primary weapon....you have the admins attention.
                  Not sure how that is different than spamming the grenade launcher ;) I hate meat grinder (i.e. metro) levels for this very reason :P

Comment

I feel using something like the Sraw and Law that is semi-guided should not be used against inf.

But the other rockets like Smaw and rpg which are not guided is fine to use as long as its not being spammed and a primary.

Comment

I recently read up on the XM25 (support class grenade launcher). It appears when used correctly can do the same job as AT against concealed infantry (perhaps even better than AT). Might even work against embedded snipers as documented by Photometric.

The key is using the XM25 correctly. Check out this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHr-tpTZWQ

Another option against embedded sniper is the mortar.

Comment

Indeed the XM-25 is "THE" tool of choice to remove targets from cover at medium/long range.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Is the MP-APS any good at its' function?

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Other than the fact that you have to deploy it in a stationary position it is fabulous. It works similar to the vehicle active protection only it is always active, although it still requires a cooldown after blocking incoming projectiles. Beware that while the MP-APS detonates incoming projectiles it does not nullify them. The explosions can still damage you if you are too close the explosion point.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I use AT vs. infantry in two specific cases: 1) when I get surprised by infantry while trying to take out armor and 2) to kill that one pesky sniper/DMR who suppresses the crap out of my squad.

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                              Is the MP-APS any good at its' function?
                              Yes. I use it often on close quarter maps to get my team pushing through a chokepoint. The laser light that points forward also helps to blind snipers looking down at you with their long scopes (silly 8x-20x scopes at < 150 m).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X