Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DICE comment on rubberbanding and other lag issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE comment on rubberbanding and other lag issues.

"We wanted to provide a quick update on the issues with Battlefield 4 “rubber banding” that some players on certain platforms have experienced during matches with 64 players.

Looking into this further, we’re unhappy with our server performance, so we’ll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience.

As soon as we know the exact timetable, we’ll let you know the ETA. Reducing lag for these players is absolutely a top priority for us to solve and we expect to have the solution very soon.

Stay tuned to our official channels for more information."

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Re: DICE comment on rubberbanding and other lag issues.

At least they are admitting that it is a server issue and not client side. Will be nice if this is something that is easily fixed.
    sigpic

Comment

Is this hardware upgrade gonna be across all GSP's? I see they said "our hardware" I wonder if they meant only their official servers they run?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

When they are talking about upgrading the hardware on their servers, I believe they are referring to the console servers they run. I dont think they run all the game servers that are rented to us PC players. Of course they may have a say in what kind of hardware is used in servers being available to customers of those server providers, but I doubt it.

I see people complaining in game all the time about how bad their performance is, yet for the most part it runs like butter for me. Yeah some stuttering, lag, what ever you want to call it, when a bunch of stuff is blown up at once. Which in my opinion, is to be expected, the server has to send out all that new model information to 64 players. The serer isnt just keeping track of 64 players, the vehicles they are in and all the shots they are firing around the map, it has to track maybe a thousand objects that all have different degrees of destruction. AND let each of those 64 players know where bullet 315 from players 52 hit that block ten minutes ago as they run past it. It is a lot of information to be going to and from the server, I am surprised that they got it working as well as they have.

Myself, I only get that rubber-banding when my ping goes through the roof, I get that 4 square icon on the right of the screen. . . and everything goes bad(I get killed, or kill friendlies), basically because DSL in Paradise is fabulous. :)
        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
        E Pluribus Unum
        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

The only rubber-banding I experience is with VoIP.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I believe the VOIP is run on their servers and the rented servers connect to the Voip server. I think that might be part of the problem in thier eyes....and upgrading the voip servers might alleviate lag on all platforms.

42nd Recon

Comment

I've experienced rubberbanding only once and it was actually in an official server. Prior to it, i had never experienced it but kind of figured what it would be like based on its name... My ping was super low but, by god, the rubberbanding was atrocious. I've never experienced it on the tg sever, but I am all for any fixes ea/dice wants to offer up.

Now if they would only make bf4 play nice with overclocked graphics cards....
              sigpicBF3

...That's a big twinkie

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                I believe the VOIP is run on their servers and the rented servers connect to the Voip server. I think that might be part of the problem in thier eyes....and upgrading the voip servers might alleviate lag on all platforms.
                And maybe alleviate the shoddiness of VOIP all together. It still baffles me, as to how in-game VOIP was so much more reliable in BF2 - a game that was put out almost 9 years ago - yet it's a complete mess in BF4 here in 2013/2014. You'd think it would be the other way around, with technology advancing and whatnot. Most nights, the VOIP isn't too bad. It's manageable. But comms tend to break up or sound garbled at times and it's not very crisp. Thank goodness for Teamspeak as an alternative when needed. Sorry, I'm probably beating a dead horse and derailing a bit, going on a tangent here.

I've only experienced rubberbanding a few times. Not really a constant issue for me. I get ping spikes sometimes, but it drops back down to normal after a minute. Not sure what that's all about. Then again, sometimes I wonder if my cable company has the stuff hooked together with two cans and a string. That's another story for another day. Usually I waver somewhere between 30 and 40 on our server.
                |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I never had any rubberbanding or lag issues....until they started patching...

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Battlefield 4's current netcode - or whatever you want to call it - is pretty awful though. For me the most obvious two symptoms are getting shot around corners and Mexican standoffs where two players both end up killing each other. I'm sure there are other, less blatant, netcode-related issues, but these are the two that immediately come to mind.

I can't remember ever experiencing similar problems in either Counter-Strike or Call Of Duty. I'm not sure if that's a reflection of Battlefield's more complex multiplayer scenarios, bad code, or (as rumor has it) server cost-cutting on the part of EA, but whatever the case it's incredibly frustrating.
                    sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

Ok, if it is a case of bad coding, new hardware will be like putting duct tape on a broken car mirror. It will work really well for a short period of time, but will show flaws. If it is a case of cost cutting on hardware, that would be penny wise and pound foolish as the hardware is much cheaper than software.

42nd Recon

Comment

Never had problems with rubberbanding and lag in BF4.

I think my gun often shoots rubberbands.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I spoke too soon with my post above. I had no rubberbanding before yesterday. The later the day went on the worse it got. Went from little stutters to full on banding while trying to sprint at 9ish Eastern. When I joined another server later last night, it was gone.. I just played a couple rounds this morning, and it is still gone. SOooo the theory that it is hardware based is probably pretty valid, as it was at its worse during peak gaming hours, for Americans.
                          E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                            Well I spoke too soon with my post above. I had no rubberbanding before yesterday. The later the day went on the worse it got. Went from little stutters to full on banding while trying to sprint at 9ish Eastern. When I joined another server later last night, it was gone.. I just played a couple rounds this morning, and it is still gone. SOooo the theory that it is hardware based is probably pretty valid, as it was at its worse during peak gaming hours, for Americans.
                            Hmm that would mean that it's not on my connection. This whole time I had thought it was my sucktastic Comcast connection causing me to rubberband during peak hours. Good to know it's "their" fault. :p
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Hmm that would mean that it's not on my connection. This whole time I had thought it was my sucktastic Comcast connection causing me to rubberband during peak hours. Good to know it's "their" fault. :p
                              Well, connection might be part of it. I am on DSL, and I see my ping bounce from the typical 80ish to 600-999 on a daily basis.
                              E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed