CPU spikes solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU spikes solution

Since I got the new XFX 7970 card I haven't been quite happy. There were what seemed like temperature related crashes. I initiated an RMA process. And I also bought another Gigabyte R9 280X, thinking that if they would do the RMA I could run them in crossfire.
    Just when I was about to RMA away the XFX card, the Gigabyte one arrived, and I installed them both. All the slots are now taken! And things worked just fine. I had to take the cards out and back in again installing the USB brackets, when suddenly the problems were back, after re-seating the XFX card things were once again fine. I realized that the card had to be nudged a bit before it settles down.
    I expected playing with two 7970s to be awesome, but it was very laggy. Putting "PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 1" into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\user.cfg" showed that I had CPU spikes! Since they occurred whenever I died I assumed that it was a soundcard problem. I tried to solve the issue with the Windows SDK "Windows Performance Toolkit" tool "Windows Performance Analyzer", but drowned in data. In theory one should be able to run the offending program and then see where the spikes come from, but it's hard. I updated all the drivers, but it didn't help.

I ran across running the game in 'borderless mode' and then helped a bit.

Then I did what I had read a couple times before. Un-parking the CPUs which seemed crazy to me. Who would hinder the OSs task scheduler? I tried the park control tool and this did the trick. Apparently Windows is too aggressive parking CPU cores, causing lag spikes. I also adjusted settings to High (from Ultra) and now I have 60-120 FPS. The machine sounds like a helicopter taking off with both cards blowing their combined 5 fans at 85% but the game runs fine. With the next Mantle update I'll see how Ultra settings do.

Re: CPU spikes solution

Indeed, I found this made the gameplay smoother for me as well a while back. From what I read Windows 8 manages the core parking better. Do youhave Windows 7 Marstein?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I am on the latest Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Comment

since you have window 8 (just like me) do you have problem with Ram. After 2-3 match my Ram go from 40% of use to 98%, Before i was just running it in win7 and that fixed the problem for a while but now after some patch it just come back.

Comment

Yup, that CPU unpark tool helps. I used it after I ran across somebody recommending it in a BF4 video on YouTube (I think it was one of RivalXFactor's videos), and I saw an improvement in performance after I did it.
          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I unparked my cores a while back, didn't take any benchmarks but for a gaming laptop, I'm guessing it helped a lot
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I did this as well but back in BF3, I sure noticed a difference then. I am sure that it helped when BF4 launched as I was noticing a lot less problems then most were complaining about. I found out about it from a RivalXfactor video back then too.
              sigpic

Comment

Unparking helped me a lot.

Comment

CPU spikes solution

Doesn't unparking cores raise CPU temps?
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I've been wondering, but which CPU manufacturer does this influence the most?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

[MENTION=20555]Ven[/MENTION], it can but it depends on your system, I did it to my i5-2500k. I have found no great increase in temps since I have done this and currently use a Hyper 212 Evo for air cooling. Will hopefully upgrade to water at some point.
                      [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION], from what I remember this is mostly (read only) applicable to Intel CPU's. AMD's don't have the same limitations due to how they are configured, I think it had something to do with hyperthreading and how windows makes use of Intel's multicores. Hope that helps.
                      sigpic

Comment

After some more experimenting my CPU spikes never really went away. The best performance so far I have achieved with a combination of:

* Use the 32-bit x86 BF4 instead of the 64-bit version.
                        * Unpark the CPUs.

Comment

Martein, are you still using this set up? From your sig. . .

Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 2GB, 8800GTS 640MB, Core2Duo E8400

It is time for upgrades :) I found my old quad core was running at 100% most of the time, my new 6 core only runs at 100% when events like the levelution, falling buildings, and when lots of explosions happen. I really loved my 8800, but I am on 2nd upgraded card since then. You dont have to buy a $500 card, even a $200 card would make a huge difference.
                          theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                          E Pluribus Unum
                          Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Angel- Whoops I did not upgrade my signature. Since that one I upgraded to an i5 - 2500K with a 7850. Later to a 7970 and just last week I bought another R9 280X card. I run the two last ones in xfire.
                            And still I get killed by you at least 2:1.

Comment

Add a big gulp of Mountain Dew into that system build and I bet you can reverse that trend.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X