Do you even Single Shot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you even Single Shot?

I wanted to ask people about their 'shooting style' for want of a better phrase as it's something that's always fascinated me about BF and FPS in general.

Now despite the fact that fully automatic is perhaps a little too accurate for my tastes in BF4 I think the weapons handle really well, they're fun to shoot and very lethal. However there are some advantages to not always leaning on the trigger and giving everything you see a full mag. I've always really enjoyed using single shot with assault rifles for numerous reasons. It appeals to my sense of realism, precision and skill, plus of course it looks and feels cool. That methodical, spare, elegant blat, blat, blat, watching your targets drop, knowing you haven't wasted rounds etc. The fact that you are really controlling your weapon, rather than just letting her rip and hanging on for dear life sort of thing.

It's challenging, no doubt. The tight groups possible on full auto with a little recoil management make it really tough to use single shot in CQB and even short/medium engagements.

Nevertheless I think single shot for the AR platform has some distinct merits. Firstly it forces you to be pinpoint accurate, if your rounds aren't going in the 'hun's head', you're dead. That's great training. Secondly it forces you to think about cover and movement. You can't afford to be caught in the open at any point as your opponent can just spray the area. Knowing this it also forces a kind of calmness under fire. You can drop someone that rushes you, you just have to take a knee and ignore the rounds coming at you and make sure you hit hard and on target with the rounds you put out. It conserves ammo, you can mentally track rounds expended, which is useful in hardcore if you don't immediate resupply. That also means less reloads and less getting shot or rushed while reloading.

It forces you to plan your shots in scenarios where you get behind or on the flank of an enemy squad. You need to quickly assess your situation and take down your targets in order of threat.

It reduces your audio and visual signature. You don't announce your position to the enemy quite so blatantly as when you let rip with a 30 round burst. With single shot they don't get time to triangulate quite so easily. Shot, move, shot, move. Less muzzle flash, less noise from one position. It certainly can benefit the stealthy approach.

Now, obviously there are times when burst, controlled full auto and lastly the 30 round rip are appropriate or desirable but I find myself enjoying working the single shot more and more. Any one else? If so, which AR's do you find work best for you, what scenario's do you use single shot in? Do you try and push into CQB and see if you are quick enough? I'd be fascinated to hear.

Re: Do you even Single Shot?

Well as mentioned before, as a gamepad player, auto is a must. I don't even equip single shot weapons, movement speed is already hampered, so auto is a must to even come close to equaling the fight.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I do play single shot with an ar sometimes, mostly the SCAR H. It's nice to bring a level of marksmanship that goes beyond sending 30 bullets and hoping that one of them hits. I find that I can often be very successful in CQB even on single shot too, depending on my setup.
      TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

I'll use single fire on my M16 and AR160 for long range. The M16 with an angled grip lets you put a good amount of aimed fire down on long range targets, while the AR160 has a hella range rating and hits harder at range.

Comment

Usually run single fire at medium-long range where bursts are just not cutting it. I've mentioned before about the SCAR and the way I run it - single fire with a 4x optic - and it is rather deadly in that mode.

Single fire as opposed to full auto or burst depends on the situation, for me. If I'm trying to hit something that's way out there at a distance that I know bursts are not gonna hit, I'll pop off single shots.

Interesting theory though, Wicks - reducing your audio and visual signature and making it harder for enemies to triangulate your position by using single fire, rather than letting it rip with automatic fire. Makes sense. I'll keep that in mind :)
          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

There was a brief time back in the Project Reality days when I only fired in semi-automatic when using assault rifles. I've learned a lot since then, though - gotten into better habits.

In Battlefield, I very rarely use semi-automatic with assault rifles. I don't like getting into gunfights at ranges (~75+ meters) where semi is actually practical, thing as I see them as relatively indecisive and sort of distracting. Usually you have to plop down and spend a fairly significant amount of time clicking away at your target until they actually go down - which is rare, thing as a good player will back off if they figure they're losing a long-range gunfight (meaning you don't get a kill). Meanwhile, you're probably going to get tunnel vision focusing too much on a single target.

Partially this is result of me not using mid-range optics (eg. ACOG sights) on assault rifles most of the time. I much prefer close-up flanking to long-range pot-shotting for the aforementioned reasons, and so reflex sights are more my thing. Plus I find reflexes allow you to pump out a much greater volume of fire than with scopes thing as recoil isn't as much of a problem (not that there's more recoil, per-say, it's just not as magnified).

I will, occasionally, use the two-round-burst function on the AEK in Battlefield 4, thing as trying to be accurate with that thing in full auto past thirty meters or so is virtually impossible. The recoil just goes everywhere.
            sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

Very random for me. love running with the 240 and you can get a short tight burst if you hit the trigger right, and the aim must be at neck or chest to get the hit at medium range. Mostly I just spray the area with lead " I'm a lead farmer mother sucker " and none of my rounds hit, they just annoy the other team while it sets my team up for kills. I get into trouble if I run with say... a famas having three rates of fire I will turn a corner expecting to go full auto close range on a couple targets and then my weapon yells a single "pow" and then I die lol. But I constantly will cycle through my rates of fire trying to keep it on auto for when im on the move and switching to single or burst while stopped. I just wish I could look at my weapon to tell what rate I was on as I tend to forget and have to pull the trigger to remember. At the moment my desk is at a slant and my mouse rolls down hill so it is a chore to hit anything so lately I just been making noise.

Comment

[MENTION=18805]Shane[/MENTION]

You can see your ROF on the HUD at the bottom of your screen.

Also your desk is on a slant at the moment?!?

Comment

I usually manually burst fire, so I'll send a few rounds down range at a time, very accurate for my type of shooting, going single shot is also very fun at times too, I do want to start doing it more
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    [MENTION=18805]Shane[/MENTION]

You can see your ROF on the HUD at the bottom of your screen.

Also your desk is on a slant at the moment?!?
                    I though that was only in soft core, but thanks Wicks ill look at the hud a little more closely from now on.
                    I custom built my desk with my board and mouse sitting a few inches below the top at a 15 degree slant. works well for the keyboard but I need to make another platform for the mouse that I havnt finished yet. Im just lazy is all.

Comment

I run with the 416 or AK5C 99% of the time. 99.9% of that time I roll full auto. For distant targets I usually just fire manual 2-3 round bursts with a high success rate. It is just too easy to be accurate with manual bursts (with those weapons) for single fire to a better option in my opinion. Especially with laterally moving targets I find that controlled bursts result in more bullets on target than single fire. I also find the damage model, as tough as it is in hardcore, to be too forgiving for single fire with AR/Carbines.

With stationary long range targets I will sometimes switch to single fire, mostly to force myself to focus and calm down when my aim gets erratic.

Comment

There are not many rifles I use semi-auto on. However, if I'm packing a DMR, it's pretty much bound to be semi all the time and I pick my shots instead of trying to spam my trigger pulls. For ARs, I tend to do single shot on the M16A4 and the SCAR-H (for that heavy stopping power), even though it seems burst fire is more accurate over range than semi. The M4 carbine I find is far more deadly with semi-auto then in burst mode and I tend to stick to just that when I run my engineer kit with it.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm a bit of a nut, i switch guns like most people switch clips, If I'm getting pinned down i'll find cover and switch to single shot and wait for the muzzle flash of the enemy, usually my shots will hit more accurately because i'm taking the time to aim and i'll "click, wait, click, wait", by the time people realize i'm shooting at them i've hit them in the dome and moved to my next target

i was playing a game of rush on Paracel the other day, i swam around to the south side of the boat and got behind enemy lines, using single shot i took out 15 enemies before someone realized they were getting shot from the opposite direction of the enemy :), if i'd had a silencer i could have gotten another 5 at least

it really is your friend for stealthy movements and i'm a bit of a flanker according to my play style, however, on BF3 I love to play the close quarters maps, and that's a burst/full auto scenario almost every time, too many doorways and people running in groups to do single shot effectively in that kind of firefight

i'm really hoping they do some more close quarters style maps on one of the BF4 expansions

Comment

I do run Single shot as well depends on the map If there's a mix of CQB and medium long range encounters expected I'll run an ACOG +Heavy Barrel+Laser+Ergo and switch back and forth as needed. I haven't found anything in this game though like the AN-94 from BF3 Too bad that was my go to assault sniper.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've rediscovered the handiness of the single shot mode, so I do use it more often now. Maps with good clear sight distances such as the island maps of Naval Strike are particularly fun to pop off single rounds over distances. The support LSAT with a good medium to long scope and good grip is a pretty effective combo for me.

For assault class I prefer the FAMAS in burst mode, it really does well short to medium range.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X